We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 18 Posts
    We want to be notified on a small board of all replies so we can quickly reply. Thanks in advance!
      • 1,154 Posts
      The recent posts button can help with this in a pinch, as it will show you all the recent posts. If your site doesn't have too many messages per day, you can just open http://site.com/thread/recent and all the new ones are there.

But more technically it sounds like what you want is automatic subscriptions for every post...

In this thread I tried to find the right area of code for the default setting for the subscription button, checked or unchecked, however I may have been wrong and there has been no resolution on this issue. It could be helpful for you to know something about where certain settings are. http://forums.modx.com/thread/95866/change-defaults-for-thread-subscribe

If I may ask, what do you want? When a user makes a new post, you want notification sent to you and others, right? And when a user replies to a thread you want to be notified as well...do I have this right?

I *believe* moderators assigned to one board will be notified of new messages on that board, but I might be wrong about that, as I haven't used board moderators. And I am a little unsure what the real default settings are for notifications.

Do you have any notifications working at all so far? Do I have your goals defined correctly? Sorry I can't give you a straightforward answer...
        • 18 Posts
        Thanks for the reply! It's more like the 1 to 2 people are in charge of all boards (of this small private forum using this Discuss).

It would be an awesome feature if I could just create board moderators (group) of people to get notified of posts. They do software support so they want to make sure to answer all questions immediately.

I don't' know how the board moderators work either and there is no documentation on it either. It's a great little feature app so thanks to the MODx team but seriously lacks the explanation of all the features for people getting on board like me going form 0-60 in 3 days.

Notifications work fine but this is more of a global feature wanted.
          • 1,154 Posts
          Yes documentation is the biggest weakness of Discuss without a doubt.

Well the recent button will definitely work if its a small board. That's what I do, just open that page and all new posts are there. I do that every morning and have no problem keeping on top of all discussions. If the board was bigger it would be different, but you say the board is small so that should work.

For moderators, there are two places to set them, one is in the Discuss section of system settings, that's the global mod section, but I am pretty sure it won't give them notifications. You just put the user names into a list in that string and those people have mod powers to delete threads and stuff.

Then the board mods can be set in the Discuss section of the Modx manager components>Discuss, and you can set the mods for each board. That might give you what you want, I will check out that function soon as well to have a look. It makes sense that the board mods would get notified.

Finally, if you are handy with some php you might make your own tool, my php guy just made a tool to make titles for users which might be useful here, I will post it in another thread. Not sure if you want to dig in like that or not.

If you did, that tool queries the db for users in the mod list and then delivers their "Mod" title, but I would think it could then deliver...all posts I guess.

Let me know if I can help you get this resolved, we can find a good way I think.
            • 1,154 Posts
            Just to follow up, board mod function seems to work fine but doesn't seem to lead to automatic notifications.
              • 9 Posts
              Hi nuan,
              this automatic notification is a important feature, from my point of view.
              Becaue ist is not possible for administrators to check all change manually.

there is a errolog control plugin, is it possible to get the activity log via XPDO ?

regards falko301
                • 1,154 Posts
                Its an interesting question. When a post is made, of any kind, something will fire inside Modx, and if we know what fires for each post we can attach a notification to it.

falko301, I don't have the skills to look into this. If we can ask the right question, usually BobRay will kindly tell us how to deal with this.

If you need the notifications, then maybe we can target some modEvent. If we know the event, can you know how to put the notification in there?

So, asking your idea, then we can try to ask BobRay.
                  • 24,544 Posts
                  I've never used Discuss. The docs are very incomplete and the code is beyond confusing, imo.

A couple of ideas come to mind.

1. You could set the boards to moderated and make your people moderators. I think that would automatically send an email to the moderators when a new message was posted.

2. Your people could subscribe to the boards to be notified of any new messages. TBH, I'm not sure this works any more.
                    Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                    Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                    MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                    My MODX Extras
                    Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                    • 1,154 Posts
                    Thanks BobRay for your info.

I have a hard time testing the subscribe option, as I have pulled out all the buttons for subscribing from my templates. Maybe some other users can test that.

I will look into the moderator issue, I don't think the notifications work but will check it.
                      • 9 Posts
                      Hi,
                      thx for your replies.
                      The moderator feature will not send notifications.
                      Do you know the "controlErrorLog" plugin. Maybe there is a way to do this for discuss thread log, or activity log

regards falko301