We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • If I recall correctly, Articles has some issues related to the changes to the core processors that were changed in 2.3. Articles will in all likelihood need to be installed from Package Management. I don't know if it actually needs to be uninstalled first. Of course, you should also clear the cache once done.
      Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
      • 353 Posts
      Ya if my back is to the wall on a fix I end up reinstalling the offending extras and reuploading the fresh copy of the cms via filezilla. Tends to work when nothing else does. I always worry about losing data during the extra reinstall.
      Always something. PS..will someone please fix Articles extra for Revo 2.3.2. Close/View button issue is lingering.
        • 3 Posts
        OK, it's getting worse here.

I've tried to reinstall Articles and got this error message:

Could not install package with signature: articles-1.7.9-pl

Console log says this:

Attempting to install package with signature: articles-1.7.9-pl
        Package found...now preparing to install.
        Could not open file for reading: articles-1.7.9-pl.transport.zip?revolution_version=Revolution-2.3.2-pl
        MODX could not download the file. You must enable allow_url_fopen, cURL or fsockopen to use remote transport packaging.
        Could not transfer package articles-1.7.9-pl.transport.zip to /homepages/37/d139982581/htdocs/modx/kompanie/core/packages/.
        Could not install package with signature: articles-1.7.9-pl

Actually this error message appears for all extras I've installed when I try to reinstall them.

I just did a standard upgrade from MODX 2.2 to the latest version and everything seems to be broken now. Any idea how I can get out of this mess again?

Thanks for your help!

Burkhard

Edit: allow_url_fopen and cURL are both enabled [ed. note: burkhardmeyer last edited this post 9 years, 5 months ago.]
        • Some of these questions are going off topic here. You'll probably get better help by checking the forums or post a new thread. If everything is broken after upgrade there is something else going on. It could be a failed upload of the core, permissions or caching. Again, I think it would be good to find or start a new thread that matches your issue more closely.
            Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
            • 24,544 Posts
            Have you run setup? It's required when you upgrade MODX. You'll never lose data when you run setup -- I've done it hundreds of times.

The error message is telling you that some path is incorrect, or that your core/packages directory is not writable.

You might consider trying SiteCheck (after running Setup). It will check the paths, check to see if the directories are writable, and validate your transport packages (plus a lot of other validity checks for the site).

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
              Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
              MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
              My MODX Extras
              Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
              • 3 Posts
              OK, I finally solved this.

I re-installed the old MODX version and started a new upgrade to 2.3.2. After the upgrade the same error showed up again. I ran SiteCheck and fixes some permissions. After that I re-installed all extras and that seemed to fix the problem. After it the error message didn't came up again.

I don't know what exactly the problem was, but in the end I could fix it.

Thanks for all your help!

Burkhard
                • 24,544 Posts
                I'm glad you got it sorted. SiteCheck has saved my bacon a number of times. It often doesn't show any problems, but when it does, they're usually things that cause weird problems with the site.

My MODX Extras
                  • 353 Posts
                  Let's hope this ain't the floodgate opening to modx and its extras becoming monetized though. $25 is too much. Would rather see extra contributors getting paid via Modx Corporate for their efforts.
                  • @howster, this notion of everything free and cheap on the internet is the reason you balk at a $25 extra that could save you hours debugging issues with a site. Frankly, we'd like to see more high-quality paid extras to compliment many of the free open source Extras. As workers on the web, we're our own enemy when it comes to not extolling the value of paying more for websites to clients. We fail to pass on expenses for the pieces of functionality they need. People are building the foundations of their businesses on websites and the functionality thereof yet we encourage them to use free software and free addons and cheap hosting and they don't know any better.

Everything has a cost and it's our job as web builders to educate clients and never -ever project our own price sensitivities and prejudice onto them. Many of these same customers we feel uncomfortable passing on the cost of a premium Extra or stock image are paying crazy amounts for newspaper advertising, Yellow Pages ads and the like.

There are tools out there, I will absolutely pay for because they save time, or they meet a need beyond the cost of the thing. If you charge $50/hour for dev and Bob's tool, for example, saves you 30 mins of time you're not going to charge the client any how, you're ahead of the game. Since this tool is buy once use more than once, you will get instant value every time you identify and can solve a problem quickly with a site you built.

The premium Extras being sold by modmore, Adido and the folks at MiniShop2 etc, are fulfilling a need and are providing extremely high-quality Extras with varying degrees of individual customer support (which you don't get from free Extras).

As for MODX, LLC funding the creation and development of Extras, this is something that we might be able to do someday in the future, however, we have always stated that we'd like to see MODX Developers be able to make money through the development of Extras. It's a scalable business model and seems to work for other Open Source ecosystems.
                      • 24,544 Posts
                      Quote from: howster at Nov 26, 2014, 06:20 PM
                      Let's hope this ain't the floodgate opening to modx and its extras becoming monetized though. $25 is too much. Would rather see extra contributors getting paid via Modx Corporate for their efforts.

No soup for you. wink
                        My MODX Extras