We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 416 Posts
    I just completed an Evo upgrade to 1.0.14 using the cmsinstaller, the pre-install checks were all good, the post-install checks were all good. There are no errors in the modx event log.

However, despite the lack of any error messages, there are several problems.

First, I noticed that TinyMCE is not properly installed. In fact in the tool-->configuration-->Interface & Features tab there are no editors to choose from even though the Enable Editor radio is checked.

Second, I checked to see if the resource was set to Rich Text Editor and discovered there is no Settings tab on any of the resources.

Third, I can't save any resources.

Except for the slideshow on the home page, the front-end is working fine.

Here's what I've done.

- Cleared cache & cookies (after all these steps)
    - Changed editor theme
    - Changed the modx manager theme
    - Confirmed the editor configuration system events
    - Rerun the install
    - Uploaded modx again this time with FTP (vs the cmsinstaller)
    - Rerun the install - again all the checks were good

None of this had any affect.

Hosting is at Hostmonster.

Obviously this install went bad, but I'm not sure how to approach this.

Help!

This question has been answered by multiple community members. See the first response.

• 416 Posts
      Update:

I've disabled the newly installed version of TinyMCE 3.5.11 and re-enabled the previous version 3.3.92.

This brought back the settings tab on all the resources and now I can save a resources, but TinyMCE is still not working.

Update:

I also noticed in the tools configuration user interface page the TinyMCE settings are now visible, but the Theme dropdown has some blank space/values, the skin dropdown is empty and all the radio buttons have placeholders [+entermode_options+] or [+schema_options+]. [ed. note: terrybarth last edited this post 9 years, 8 months ago.]
        • 416 Posts
        Well I guess I should try to uninstall TinyMCE and re-intall. It's been a while since I've done this sort of thing in Evo.

Where do I get the current version? When I go to download the extra the only one I see is 3.2.4 which is from 2009? The one installed with 1.0.14 is 3.5.11.

Can someone outline the steps for me?
          • 24,544 Posts
          It sounds like almost all of your problems are related to TinyMCE. It's sometimes necessary to completely uninstall all versions of TinyMCE and install a new one after an upgrade.

I'm afraid I don't know what's up with the version numbers or where to get the newer one. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

BTW, if you completely purge the site of TinyMCE (including the DB), re-running install should install the latest version for you.
            Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
          • discuss.answer
            • 416 Posts
            Bob, thanks for that.

Here's what I did:

Deleted the tinyMce folder on the server.
            Deleted two entries in the modx_site_plugins table
            Deleted the tinyMce plugin in the elements tab
            Reran the install. (indicated TinyMce was installed, no errors)
            Cleared browser cache and cookies
            Cleared modx cache

Still no change. The settings tab on all the resources is missing. The configuration page has no editors to choose from in the pull down. If I disable the plugin, the settings tab reappears.

This site was recently hacked. Hostmonster sent a note indicating they had identified the affect files and corrected them.

I suppose it's possible that there is still some remnant of the hack that could cause this, but I have no clue how to track this down--if that's even the case.

Any other suggestions?
              • 24,544 Posts
              I don't know of any other things to check on Evolution. If it were Revo, I'd suggest turning off the compress_js and compress_css System Settings and making sure the manager_theme System Setting is set to 'default'. I don't know if those apply in Evolution, but it's worth checking.

The next thing to try after that would be disabling all the plugins.

Another possibility is that some old files didn't get overwritten in the upgrade, or that you have one or more missing or corrupted files. See the section here on how to transfer the MODX files to the site: http://bobsguides.com/modx-upgrade-faq.html
                Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                My MODX Extras
                Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                • 416 Posts
                I disabled all the plugins. No effect.

It does seem like this must be a corrupted file somewhere.

I deleted the tinymce folder on the server, deleted tinymce entry in the plugins table from the DB, deleted the plugin in the elements tab. Reran the CMS Installer script. No change. I assumed that cmsinstall would transfer all the needed files to the server and replace what was there. None of this changed anything.

Next re-uploaded modx manually using ftp (not zipped so as to avoid any merge issues) and set ftp to replace any existing files. Reran Modx install. Cleared cache, cookies. No change.

At this point I think I'll need to try a new install, re-upload the assets images, js, etc, then re-import the db.
                • discuss.answer
                  • 416 Posts
                  Well I installed modx in a subfolder using the same upload/install files previously used. This instance of modx with tinymce is working correctly.

Next I imported the DB from the site that isn't working correctly. With TinyMCE enabled, I immediately see the same broken behavior.

So I think to myself, this must indicate there is a problem in the DB versus a corrupted file somewhere.

I searched and compare both databases for references to tinymce figuring I'll recognize something strange when I see it. Aside from the differences in the two different versions of modx, I noticed only one item.

In the DB, the field where you choose the editor says "None" and there are no other choices in the configuration field. So I manually inserted TinyMCE into the field. Cleared the cache and go back to the modx manager configuration page and it still says "None" in the pull down for which editor to use. If I re-enable the tinymce plugin the field is blank.

The other thing I now noticed on both is the when TinyMCE is enabled, on the configuration page, like the resource pages missing tabs, the last two tabs, File Manager and File Browser are missing. It seems like anything after the TinyMCE settings is broken when it's enabled.

Just for kicks ran the check/repair database utility. No issues.

Since it appears I can't import the current db in to a new installation, I'll have to manually copy over every resource, chunk, tv, etc to get this site working again. I really don't want to do that.
                  • It's possible the problem is with your TinyMCE configuration. Can you try changing that to one of the standard groupings if you are using a custom one?
                      Patrick | Server Wrangler
                      About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
                      • 416 Posts
                      If you're referring to the web theme setting of simple, editor, advanced, yes, it was one of the first things I tried.

It feels like there is an errant or missing character in some field in the DB somewhere.

If someone wants to poke around the the site or the DB for this, please PM me.