We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 712 Posts
    Quote from: cookie_monster_az at Nov 05, 2013, 02:40 AM

With my particular condition, a black (or a very dark colored) background with white (or a very light color) text is essential for me to see anything on a computer screen. If I use a standard white background and black text, the whole screen looks white. I can barely make out a line of text that looks like a line, and can not see any of the letters due to the glare of the white background.

I've started switching things to black on white text, and I think it is starting to look great. One question I have is if there is a particular color that would work well to highlight 'primary' actions or if everything should stay greyscale. For example, I noticed in a gmail high contrast theme they use a bright blue to highlight primary actions.

I've attached a screenshot of the header in high contrast. You mentioned that black text on white background is very problematic so I'm thinking the search bar will need to change. Maybe stay white on black, with a blue search icon?

jpdevries
      • 175 Posts
      stalemate resolution associate Reply #12, 10 years, 5 months ago
      Quote from: dinocorn at Nov 06, 2013, 06:51 AM

Unfortunately as far as I know the current Manager doesn't handle upscaling text through the browser very well as at a certain point the layout begins to break. It is true that custom themes can have custom layouts, but I don't see being able to improve significantly in this area until 3.0.

Many existing sites right now (i.e. anything non-responsive) will break the layout with text size scaling. I think that even the move to have high contrast settings is a big step because for Dan it is the difference between having to struggle with trying to read a site and being able to easily read. My guess is that dealing with a "broken layout" is probably a much easier thing to deal with.

Dan, what are your thoughts? Is broken layout a major issue? As well, are there sites which you've used which you think do a really great job of getting around this?

Regards,
      Tom
      • Hi everyone,

Hopefully I address everyones questions. Please let me know if I missed anything...

From Brigitte:

To summarize: your MODX Manager should show white text and icons on a black canvas, but the pictures should have their original color. Right?

This is correct. It is a lot easier to figure out what images are and what is going on when they show as they should instead of a negative image. Also, a very dark gray would be a great background color as well.

What about text enlargement, do you use just your Compiz tool, or do you add browser zoom?

I personally utilize the screen magnification from Compiz only. Most folks that I know that use magnification utilize some sort of screen magnification software. The browser zoom is a bit cumbersome, but is better than nothing.

Quote from: cookie_monster_az at Nov 05, 2013, 02:40 AM

The one thing about these settings in Firefox is that if any elements utilize a graphic as a background image, you will not see them. ... With the settings in Firefox, take a look at some popular websites such as Twitter, Facebook, Google results, etc. You will be able to see where buttons may have an outline, or you may not see anything at all.

Yes. Hopefully we can avoid this in future versions of MODx Manager, so that people may take advantage of their personal color settings on OS or browser level.

Being able to easily customize a piece of software goes a long way for me personally as well as others I have talked to.

As you said, font-based icons can be styled and scaled any way you want, and, best of all, you won't put them in the background, so no problem with personal color settings.

Could we apply this to the RTE as well? TinyMCE? Redactor?
        I have not had a chance to look at Redactor yet, but I have attached a shot of how TinyMCE looks in Firefox with the hard settings I use. This is another reason I utilize Chromium with the negative window option. I checked out FontAwesome and WOW, very nice indeed.

From JP:

Unfortunately as far as I know the current Manager doesn't handle upscaling text through the browser very well as at a certain point the layout begins to break.

I just tried this and for say two or three times magnification in browser magnification, the Manager is not to bad. However, anything larger than that and things start to shift and the Manager starts to look a bit odd. This is the main reason folks I have talked with utilize separate screen magnification software.

I've started switching things to black on white text, and I think it is starting to look great. One question I have is if there is a particular color that would work well to highlight 'primary' actions or if everything should stay greyscale. For example, I noticed in a gmail high contrast theme they use a bright blue to highlight primary actions.

I've attached a screenshot of the header in high contrast. You mentioned that black text on white background is very problematic so I'm thinking the search bar will need to change. Maybe stay white on black, with a blue search icon?
        SWEET! smiley The search icon colors actually look very nice and stand out. For myself, if the color of the search box was say a gray scale or a blue or something of that nature with the white text, that would be a nice touch. I have attached screen shots of a color scheme I utilize on my machine as well. I am running Debian with the XFCE 4.8 desktop. The color schemes I use are either Xfce-dusk or High Contrast Inverse. Debian use to have a nice color scheme called Darklooks in version 6.0 with the old version of GNOME Desktop 2.x. It has been a while since I have run a Windows environment, and I have only seen a MAC a few times. However, I seem to remember that MAC OS X had a nice dark theme that was very pleasing to the eye and yet high contrast and very functional. If you have access to take a look at any of those desktop themes, hopefully that can help with starting points for colors.

From Tom:
        Many existing sites right now (i.e. anything non-responsive) will break the layout with text size scaling. I think that even the move to have high contrast settings is a big step because for Dan it is the difference between having to struggle with trying to read a site and being able to easily read. My guess is that dealing with a "broken layout" is probably a much easier thing to deal with.

Dan, what are your thoughts? Is broken layout a major issue? As well, are there sites which you've used which you think do a really great job of getting around this?

Bingo. I would rather have a broken layout that I can at least see to navigate. As far as a site that I have run across that handles this well, I don't have anything specific off the top of my head being that I don't use the browser zoom. I will look at the sites I frequent and let you know of something I see that seems to handle the scaling well.

And a few seconds pass and I have an example...this was one of the first sites I put together that is responsive to screen resolutions for mobile devices:

http://airtelligence.com/

As I was zooming in, once I hit about 6x, my display switched to what I expect to see on a mobile device. My starting screen resolution is 1600 x 900. The way this site responds and is scaled may not be the prettiest, but it is functional and still easy for me to get around and see what is going on.

Here is a site I visit often and tried the browser zoom and it is absolutely awful in handling the zoom:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/

All it does is blow up the site and you have to scroll horizontally to see everything. This is pretty inconvenient and disruptive to the viewing experience. Personally, if there is no horizontal scrolling, that is a big deal.

I believe I have seen JP say this multiple times (and if I have this wrong JP, please correct me)...by building for mobile first, it is pretty easy to work backwards into the desktop.

I think that is everything. Please let me know if I missed anything.

Dan
          email - [email protected]
          twitter - @danhartaz
          • 175 Posts
          stalemate resolution associate Reply #14, 10 years, 5 months ago
          Dan,

Thanks very much for your post: it definitely gave me more of a perspective. I never made the connection among mobile first, responsive web design and accessibility!

Regards,
          Tom
            • 712 Posts
            Dan,

I haven't made much progress on the high contrast I started lately, but this work by @travis_love on Twitter looks to me to be close to what you were looking for. Do you agree? I'm curious what you think because I think this could make a really great theme.
            https://twitter.com/travis_love/status/447912789969883137
              jpdevries
            • Ohhh, this theme is very nice indeed. Very easy for me to read and utilize.

As Travis said in the Twitter feed, we don't have to have a bland theme, it can have some color to it. Some folks may need a bland theme to function, but this is a step in the right direction for sure.

In the next month or so, I will have some free time in the evenings to help with anything you need. Long story short, moved to the Austin, TX area, got a day job and will be wrapping up my freelance clients.
                email - [email protected]
                twitter - @danhartaz
                • 712 Posts
                I'd really like to pick up working on this again, but I'd like to target breaking changes instead of the MODX 2.x Manager. I've started experimenting with some components and concepts at markup.tips:
                https://markup.tips/settings.html#contrast
                  jpdevries
                • Hey, glad to see some movement here ...

Good first step. Beware the placeholder texts, need more contrast.

Best,
                  Brigitte
                    Brigitte Bornemann - Accessibility Consultant, Web Designer - Hamburg / Munich, Germany.
                    http://www.bit-informationsdesign.de
                    • 712 Posts
                    Quote from: BrigitteB at Apr 07, 2016, 12:14 PM
                    Hey, glad to see some movement here ...

Good first step. Beware the placeholder texts, need more contrast.

Best,
                    Brigitte

Good point. I think those are browsers defaults. I'll have a look.
                      jpdevries
                      • 712 Posts
                      I've been working on some Proof of Concepts for "MODX Next" and have introduced simple High Contrast theme support. Feedback appreciated!
                      https://github.com/jpdevries/matboard/tree/gh-pages/labs/manage-users#high-contrast-mode

jpdevries