We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 953 Posts
    Quote from: fourroses666 at Oct 07, 2013, 08:42 PM
    I never use the Children tab, I'm with you on that one.

I think I have found the mod:

Open up "manager/actions/document_data.static.php" and search for: "View Children" tab setup

This is not a small mod at all, I would love to know who was asked about this before it was simply added, I am pretty sure the community wasn't asked for their take on this.

By the looks of things there is no way to simply revert this.

I think I found the history for this on Git.

Also looking at the code, there are Russian comments - would love to know a translation - I was under the impression that MODX comments are written in English because of International use.

I think this was completed by "dmi3yy", so it would be nice if he could let us know if its possible to get the old functionality back.

Either how it was in the first place or simply adding a new option in the config. [ed. note: iusemodx last edited this post 10 years, 5 months ago.]
      • 486 Posts
      nice post iusemodx.

agreed re point 2: I'd also prefer "View Resource Data: General" as the default page after saving a resource. The ability to choose "View Resource Data" or "View Children" on Tools > Configuration > Interface & Features would be nice.

agreed re 4 and 7: it would be wonderful to get a little bit of info and usage examples on the new features / snippets etc. I'd also like to know what Code Mirror is and how to use it.
        Web design Adelaide
        http://gocreate.com.au
      • I can answer the one about CodeMirror. It's something like the RTE, only for editing code. It has line numbers, syntax highlighing, allows using tabs, and has a very nice search and search-and-replace feature. It also highlights some errors, such as mismatched brackets.
          Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
          Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
          Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
          • 2,877 Posts
          I LOVE the children tab on "view resource" tongue

Now client click container and see the resources and status. From a developer it's nice to general but for clients
          NOT.

@hawproductions | http://mrhaw.com/

Infograph: MODX Advanced Install in 7 steps:
            http://forums.modx.com/thread/96954/infograph-modx-advanced-install-in-7-steps

Recap: Portland, OR (PDX) MODX CMS Meetup, Oct 6, 2015. US Bancorp Tower
            http://mrhaw.com/modx_portland_oregon_pdx_modx_cms_meetup_oct_2015_us_bancorp_tower
            • 29 Posts
            I updated from 1.0.10 to 1.0.12. The best feature is, that I the node name of the resource tree can be changed. Finally I can have the menu titles in the resource tree. Great job on this!

By the way, where can I post my little wish list? I really would like to be able to really customize the order of the fields. For instance, I would like to be able to add a field for a sub-header directly below the pagetitle field. I use the longtitle already for SEO and I would like to group pagetitle and subtitle in an header element in html, like this:

<article>
              <header>
                <h1>[*pagetitle*]</h1>
                <h2>[*subtitle*]</h2>
              </header>
            </article>

... and would like to maintain this order in the back-end.

I wish manager-manager could do that.
              • 1,613 Posts
              Quote from: holgermeier at Oct 15, 2013, 09:19 PM
              I really would like to be able to really customize the order of the fields. For instance, I would like to be able to add a field for a sub-header directly below the pagetitle field.

This is my biggest wish too. I have asked for a default head field and being able to sort the fields.

For seo i always build a new tab. I really would like to sort fields which i place in a custom tab.
              i use mm_rules allot.
                Evolution user, I like the back-end speed and simplicity smiley
                • 953 Posts
                Quote from: mrhaw at Oct 14, 2013, 03:44 PM
                I LOVE the children tab on "view resource" tongue

Now client click container and see the resources and status. From a developer it's nice to general but for clients
                NOT.

The problem with this new feature is: "It breaks the manager configuration"

The configuration no-longer works as it should - this element should be optional and not simply override the default setting.

The config is there to set-up how the manager should work, its not there to be blatently disregarded by simply adding new elements that override it.

Just from my point of view:

I have since upgraded a couple of client sites and have had to revert the work, simply because loads of stuff no-longer works - generaly the stuff that's starting to be picked up by others: chunk in chunks, tinymice etc.

Are the new mods' actually being thoroughly tested ? I get the feeling, NO.

Is it possible to get comments etc. translated into English ?

Is it possible to get documentation on new mods - I see no information at all. Adding new mods without documentation isn't helpful at all
                • Are the new mods' actually being thoroughly tested ? I get the feeling, NO.

Did you i.e. beta tested the 1.0.11 pre release and made your comments? I get the feeling, NO.

Evo has done a big forward, bugs could happen and will be fixed. At the moment all members of the Team Evo are a bit busy with other projects.

The documentation part is a bit difficult. There is no native speaking developer in Team Evo, so writing documentation is hard work and not the main interest for the members. But maybe you (or someone else) could support us there.
                    • 953 Posts
                    Quote from: Jako at Oct 15, 2013, 10:43 PM
                    Did you i.e. beta tested the 1.0.11 pre release and made your comments? I get the feeling, NO.

Do you expect that I personally test every version of Evo that is released ?

I am not the ony person on this planet that still uses Evo, so I think you should be aware of that.

There is no native speaking developer in Team Evo, so writing documentation is hard work and not the main interest for the members. But maybe you (or someone else) could support us there.

Saying that the documentation is not the main interest is somewhat dismaying - how do you expect end users to use the new version without knowing how to use it ?

I have no problem with writing documentation, all I need is to know what the new elements do and how to use them properly.

But to know how to use them properly, I need documentation.

The original documentation needs to be changed anyway, as the mod that now shows the individual documents children tab overrides the original configuration functionality as the config no-longer does that what it is supposed to.
                    • Quote from: iusemodx at Oct 16, 2013, 06:14 AM

Do you expect that I personally test every version of Evo that is released ?

I would do that, before I upload it to my customers.

Quote from: iusemodx at Oct 16, 2013, 06:14 AM

I am not the ony person on this planet that still uses Evo, so I think you should be aware of that.

Yes, but you are one person that complains about bugs (in my opinion a bit too harsh) and (maybe) did not helped in beta phase to solve those bugs.

We are talking about free software. Most developing members of the Team Evo do their work in spare time. And working with free software is not only withdraw the finished result but provide help during getting there. You can't take only the candy.

Saying that the documentation is not the main interest is somewhat dismaying - how do you expect end users to use the new version without knowing how to use it ?

MODX Evo was never documented in all parts (in my opinion only in little parts). And the behaviour of the system was not changed from ground up.

I have no problem with writing documentation, all I need is to know what the new elements do and how to use them properly.

Test it, play with it, ask around if you don't understand some parts and write it down. That would be a great help.