We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 151 Posts
    Quick question: what to use best: pThumb or phpThumbOf.

I see that pThumb brings out updates and has a statement that it's faster than phpThumbOf.

Until now I always used phpThumbOf, but indeed, it's not the most quick plugin I know (galleries are sometimes slow when phpThumbOf is used).

Any experience you can share?
    • Just to throw a wrench into your question, there's also phpThumbsUp written by Scott Wespi and his team at Darkstar Designs. It was originally conceived to fix phpThumbOf for their build of the pearldrum.com website: http://modx.com/extras/package/phpthumbsup

I'd avoid phpThumbOf in general where performance is a concern.
        Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
        • 143 Posts
        pThumb is great, all you have to do is install and remove phpThumbOf

Eighth day design
          Design agency with offices in Edinburgh and Brighton
        • Another vote for pThumb. It uses the same syntax as phpThumbOf so it's just a nice replacement that you don't have to accommodate with any difficulty (i.e. all your chunks will work without having to modify the syntax).
          • Quote from: eighthday at Sep 16, 2013, 03:01 PM
            pThumb is great, all you have to do is install and remove phpThumbOf

Thanks; I'm glad folks like it!
            Just to clarify, if phpThumbOf is already installed you should uninstall it first, then install pThumb.
            Because they use the same snippet name, uninstalling phpThumbOf at the end will remove the phpthumbof snippet and you'd have to reinstall pThumb to get it back. That's very simple, but uninstalling phpThumbOf first keeps things less confusing.

As far as speed, I posted a few numbers here awhile back.
              Extras :: pThumbResizerimageSlimsetPlaceholders
              • 151 Posts
              I want to use pThumb in combination with the plugin Gallery, but I see that the gallery already makes his own thumb
              [[+thumbnail]]

So how do I overwrite this and use the thumb plugin I want? (like pThumb or phpThumbsUp)
                • 436 Posts
                Quote from: sitsol at Sep 17, 2013, 12:19 AM
                I want to use pThumb in combination with the plugin Gallery, but I see that the gallery already makes his own thumb
                [[+thumbnail]]

So how do I overwrite this and use the thumb plugin I want? (like pThumb or phpThumbsUp)

You can replace [[+thumbnail]] with a call such as:

[[+fileurl:phpthumbsup=`&w=640&h=480&zc=1&q=90`]]
                  • 151 Posts
                  Quote from: absent42 at Sep 17, 2013, 12:27 AM
                  Quote from: sitsol at Sep 17, 2013, 12:19 AM
                  [[+thumbnail]]

You can replace [[+thumbnail]] with a call such as:

[[+fileurl:phpthumbsup=`&w=640&h=480&zc=1&q=90`]]

Thx Dan. Is this the same with the plugin Cliche? Because I like the backend better (in a clients view) from Cliche.
                    • 436 Posts
                    Quote from: sitsol at Sep 17, 2013, 08:37 AM
                    Thx Dan. Is this the same with the plugin Cliche? Because I like the backend better (in a clients view) from Cliche.

I'm not sure, never used Cliche, but looking at the docs [[+image]] seems to refer to the image URL, so you could try:

[[+image:phpthumbsup=`&w=640&h=480&zc=1&q=90`]]
                      • 151 Posts
                      Quote from: absent42 at Sep 17, 2013, 12:20 PM
                      Quote from: sitsol at Sep 17, 2013, 08:37 AM

I'm not sure, never used Cliche, but looking at the docs [[+image]] seems to refer to the image URL, so you could try:

[[+image:phpthumbsup=`&w=640&h=480&zc=1&q=90`]]

I think this isn't right, because the image is taken the
                      &thumbWidth=`120` &thumbHeight=`120`
                      in the code from Cliche. I don't know how to overrule this so it takes the values of the phpthumbsup instead.