We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,198 Posts
    I always loved evolution and I think is a great cms, perfect for small and medium sized websites (with better cache system could be for large sites too)

Last year I finally started to also develop projects in revolution and i love it, but 95% of my projects are still in the evo.

I started using modx with the first release (post-etomite) and i have developed dozens (maybe hundreds) of websites with modx 0.9 and I can not ask to all my customers for a long, risky and costly "manual migration" (in many cases without direct benefit for the customer).

A couple of my customers asked me: if is so complicated, why not migrate to another cms like joomla?

In my opinion, the biggest mistake was the absence of an official migration tool from modx 0.9 to revo 1.
    If it were possible a straight update evo to revo, when the first Revo release went out, probably no one would still use evolution 3 years later.

The new modx3 without a migration tool from evolution (to modx3 or Revo), it would be a repeat of the same (big marketing) error.
      Free MODx Graphic resources and Templates www.tattoocms.it
      -----------------------------------------------------

MODx IT  www.modx.it

bubuna.com - Web & Multimedia Design
      • 953 Posts
      Quote from: banzai at Sep 11, 2013, 10:48 PM
      The new modx3 without a migration tool from evolution (to modx3 or Revo), it would be a repeat of the same (big marketing) error.

I agree.

At the end of the day, both Evo + Revo are being canned for MODX3 so its no-longer a question of which is better.

If you want to stay with MODX, MODX3 is the future there are no "ifs", "buts" or "whats better".

A migration tool for both Evo + Revo will in my opinion be a win win solution - LLC keep users and members, users and members can continue to use MODX as their system of choice [ed. note: iusemodx last edited this post 10 years, 7 months ago.]
      • I'm with Mark on this one. I think Evo should be a community project, as long as MODX continues to host documentation and links to versions. Like Mark, I continue to work with a lot of my old Evo clients, and continue development on their sites for smallish projects. However, Revo is much easier to work with for advanced management. I can easily tap into the modProcessor, and create "upgrade friendly" solutions.

Aside from the insanity of learning ExtJS, I believe Revo is a great backbone to the next step of MODX. ExtJS has a lot of great discussion and documentation, and makes for a great "app" experience. I really want to see where it all goes from here.

Bias warning: A lack of Evo porting gives me more reason to develop/sell full site redesigns.
          Mat Dave Jones
          • 143 Posts
          At the end of the day, both Evo + Revo are being canned for MODX3 so its no-longer a question of which is better.

So is MODX3 going to be a completely different system? Surely it it best to iterate on the top of what we have in revo? The extras for revo took a long time to reach maturity, it going to be a disaster for modx if we have to go through that again.
            Eighth day design
            Design agency with offices in Edinburgh and Brighton
          • Before all this get out of hand, everything said here is speculation and opinions. There is nothing official from the MODX team in this thread. Please take no comment as set in stone and the way we move forward. Unless Ryan, Jason, Gary, YJ, Mike or Jay says something official, everything here is just individual opinions.

However, our opinions can help form what MODX 3 will become, there are still many things to consider, MODX has always kept backward compatibility for most part when changes are being made, I converted a few Evo sites to Revo using some scripts Jason created at that time without that much difficulty. Now as for Extras, the ones that are officially supported by MODX have always been the one to be on the new platform first. This time around, there should be more communication with developers of Extras which are used on a daily basis to move those over to the new platform.

NOTE: Yet again, these are just opinions, nothing set in stone. Do not panic, changes will only be for the best of the community.
            • Quote from: iusemodx at Sep 11, 2013, 10:54 PM
              A migration tool for both Evo + Revo will in my opinion be a win win solution - LLC keep users and members, users and members can continue to use MODX as their system of choice

Swung me over right there; I think the answer to the question in the title would be yes. As for Evo itself, its EOL was announced.. as was Revo's.. so my point of the LLC officially stepping back asap may not matter much.

Quote from: eighthday at Sep 12, 2013, 09:52 AM

So is MODX3 going to be a completely different system? Surely it it best to iterate on the top of what we have in revo? The extras for revo took a long time to reach maturity, it going to be a disaster for modx if we have to go through that again.

Jason is working on a process for the community to help shape MODX3. From what I've seen so far, MODX3 would be a fairly drastic iteration. Stuff will break. I'm sure we'll get some guides aimed at developers on making sure their code works with MODX3.
                Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
              • I have personaly opinion, Should be continue Evo. It give large profit to MODX3.
                I am contented with Evo, but I want to see new different MODX3.
                Evo and Revo has uselessly DB model. For example, content, chunk, snippet, plugin...
                I want simple and flexible model, like the WordPress.
                  • 24,544 Posts
                  It would be great if the community developing Evo were willing to help with the migration tool. Even for a developer who wants to continue using Evo, there may be some sites that he or she wants to migrate to MODX3.

IMO, the migration tool would be time-consuming to create, but not all that complicated. I'm assuming that the permissions system is not part of the migration. Many sites won't need that and there could be a separate tool to migrate permissions (assuming that it's even possible).

A MODX site of any kind can be seen as just a bunch of objects. They can be read from one platform and written to another (obviously in a different form). In fact, if the Revo -> MODX 3 tool is written with this in mind, it could contain abstract classes that could be extended to import and convert Evolution objects to whatever form is necessary for MODX3.
                    Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                    Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                    MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                    My MODX Extras
                    Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                    • 98 Posts
                    Once upon a time, I migrated a content-rich site from Evo to Revo. There was a tool, Provisioner, that helped quite a bit. However, Provisioner stopped working at Revo v2.1.2. This meant I had to install v2.1.2, run Provisioner, substitute Revo's getResources for Evo's Ditto, and then roll the Revo versions forward step-by-step to v2.2.x. Of course other things broke along the way.

Since that migration, I've enriched the site with custom snippets dependent upon the Revo API.

So, I've no parochial interest in Evo => MODX3 migration because I've already paid the price, happily with just one site. I don't relish the Revo => MODX3 migration.
                      I looked just like that in 1964.
                      • 1,198 Posts
                      Just an update to the thead: full Evolution 1.0.10 site in Revolution 2.2.9-pl using Provisioner Works!
                      http://forums.modx.com/thread/83320/is-a-tool-to-automatically-upgrade-from-evo-to-revo-actually-in-the-works?page=2#dis-post-477731
                        Free MODx Graphic resources and Templates www.tattoocms.it

MODx IT  www.modx.it

bubuna.com - Web & Multimedia Design