We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 116 Posts
    Hello everyone,

I am looking for some testers, that are experienced in creating extras outside MODx root directory.
    More about Git Package Management extra could be found here and here.

If you want to help me with testing, post me your email and I will send you transported package with instructions.

For now I don't want to publish sources, until it will be properly tested and ready for open alpha version. [ed. note: TheBoxer last edited this post 10 years, 11 months ago.]
      --
      John
      @theboxer
    • I'd be curious to take a look at this. How does it compare to Bob's MyComponent extra? This I think is something I too looked at when I poked at did a proof-of-concept for an extra I called "RepoMan": essentially, it bypasses the need to create a transport package so it's easier to contribute to existing projects.

It would be helpful if your preview videos had sound -- I'm not totally clear what it is you're demonstrating.
        • 116 Posts
        Hello,

In comparsion to Bob's MyComponnent, here you just clone git repository somewhere and link it with MODx, that will automatically install the component (from files, no transport package is creating).

I will be publishing beta version in a few days.
          --
          John
          @theboxer
          • 24,544 Posts
          Sounds interesting. I'd like to know more about what you mean by "link it with MODX." Does it have an install script?

Also, how does it handle upgrades?

BTW, I suspect that MODX 3 may use Composer and Packagist, which could make all our work obsolete.

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
            • 116 Posts
            Link means, than you add folder where it is cloned to CMP, and that CMP handles installation. It creates all necessary settings that you will be able to use to extra from the folder (it's not needed to have the extra's file in MODx file system). Templates, snippets, chunks are created as static elements so you can easily edit them (this sextra is meanet to be for contributors or developers) in your IDE (or other editor).

Upgrades isn't handled for now, I am working on this feature, because it's almost useless without it. I have something prepared in my had, just catch some time and code it...

I hope that MODx 3 will use Composer, but it will take a while when MODx 3 will be released and I really don't like the process when I want to start dev a new CMP. This will make the process fast and easy.
              --
              John
              @theboxer
              • 24,544 Posts
              I don't mean this to discourage you, but just so you know, in the soon-to-be released version of MyComponent, the Example package installs a completely functional CMP, and you can create a complete set of skeleton, class-based CMP files by editing the project config file.
                Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                My MODX Extras
                Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
              • Bob, I think you and TheBoxer are talking at cross-purposes here? As I read it his CMP is to handle the installing/setup of the addon, not to create one as your Example package in MyComponent does.
                  MAPLEDESIGN MODX development and MODX web design and custom development. Proud to serve UK and International clients!
                  • 116 Posts
                  Exactly pbowyer, this extra is installing other extras without needing transport package. And is meant to be used by developers.
                    --
                    John
                    @theboxer
                  • Any news when you'll release it TheBoxer? Sounds interesting.
                      MAPLEDESIGN MODX development and MODX web design and custom development. Proud to serve UK and International clients!
                      • 116 Posts
                      I have a hopefully stable version for testing. But I want to make some more video tuts before releasing and don't have much time now.

But if you are interested in, I can sent you the transport package.
                        --
                        John
                        @theboxer