We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 5 Posts
    Quote from: sottwell at May 12, 2013, 04:42 AM
    You could also try the System Setting "session_handler_class". By default upon installation, this is set to modSessionHandler, which stores the session in the database. If you empty the value, then it will use the PHP default file-based session handler.

I'm a bit late to this, but thank you sottwell, seems to have done the trick for me! I'm guessing this was an issue left over from a Rev 2.0.x to 2.2.x upgrade, but the constant logging out of the manager was becoming more erratic and more frequent. Fingers crossed it's going to play nicely now. smiley
      • 5 Posts
      Quote from: siteassemble at Oct 29, 2014, 01:39 AM
      Fingers crossed it's going to play nicely now. smiley
      So much for instant glory! Looks like it's back to the drawing board, though I can recreate the issue pretty easily. If I have the manager open in one tab and the site in another, when I navigate the site, I'm guaranteed to get logged out of the admin. Oh well, time to dig a bit more... smiley
        • 24,544 Posts
        Are the Manager and the site in different domains (for example is one www. and the other not)? that would explain it.

If the .htaccess file is set to force www. or non .www and the Manager doesn't match that (maybe because of its own .htaccess file that turns the rewrite engine off), they will be different domains, which means different sessions, so the credentials won't be found when you switch from one to the other.
          Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
          • 5 Posts
          Sorry Bob... I didn't know you replied to this.

No, they're both forced to www., though I'm not sure how that would effect the logged in status of the manager. I've found a temporary workaround, which is to use a different browser to view the front end site while I use another for the manager. It's not pretty, but it's fine until I can find the time to troubleshoot.

Quote from: BobRay at Oct 29, 2014, 10:11 PM
          Are the Manager and the site in different domains (for example is one www. and the other not)? that would explain it.

If the .htaccess file is set to force www. or non .www and the Manager doesn't match that (maybe because of its own .htaccess file that turns the rewrite engine off), they will be different domains, which means different sessions, so the credentials won't be found when you switch from one to the other.
            • 24,544 Posts
            Quote from: siteassemble at Feb 02, 2015, 05:07 PM
            I've found a temporary workaround, which is to use a different browser to view the front end site while I use another for the manager. It's not pretty, but it's fine until I can find the time to troubleshoot.

That's a good practice anyway. Otherwise, your status in the front-end is ambiguous, even if it's in a different browser window.
              Did I help you? Buy me a beer
              Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
              MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
              My MODX Extras
              Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting