We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • From what I can see, the donate buttons go to FoxyCart, which certainly has PayPal support.
      Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
      Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
      Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
      • 178 Posts
      Quote from: mindeffects at Apr 07, 2013, 11:38 PM
      The donation procedure was a total PITA and only working for people with a very strong will to donate (It worked for me, but, man, it was a fight!). Why so many hurdles?

Be nice to the people who want to donate!

I agree with this and the regular donations call. I have donated a few times and would be very happy to give $10 a month. [ed. note: jim.killock last edited this post 11 years, 1 month ago.]
        • 338 Posts
        Quote from: jim.killock at Apr 08, 2013, 10:16 AM
        I have donated a few times and would be very happy to give $10 a month.

Ditto, paypal do a "subscribe" button don't they? If it was easier to subscribe for a small amount I'm sure a lot more people would.
          • 143 Posts
          You are being naive if you think any form of donating will generate a significant income stream.
            Eighth day design
            Design agency with offices in Edinburgh and Brighton
          • heard of Kickstarter? donations do work.

and seriously guys. What's the software worth to you?
              ________

Anne
              Toad-in-Chief
              Red Toad Media - Web Design, Louisville KY
              Hear me tweet: http://www.twitter.com/redtoadmedia
              "Bring on the imperialistic condiments." - Rory Gilmore
              • 143 Posts
              Kickstarter is not donations.
                Eighth day design
                Design agency with offices in Edinburgh and Brighton
                • 178 Posts
                Quote from: eighthday at Apr 08, 2013, 10:57 AM
                You are being naive if you think any form of donating will generate a significant income stream.

Try and see: not much to lose, is there?

My organisation is based on 1,500 regular donators of roughly $15 a month, and of course there are many people here with a business stake in MODX thriving, so a good motivation to contribute. I think there's also a chicken and egg thing: if some of us do, then others will too.
                  • 534 Posts
                  Quote from: Bruno17 at Apr 07, 2013, 06:11 PM
                  @exside

great points!
                  one of the few sensible and probably the most meaningful post in this whole thread.

thanks =)

Quote from: mindeffects at Apr 07, 2013, 11:38 PM
                  The donation procedure was a total PITA and only working for people with a very strong will to donate (It worked for me, but, man, it was a fight!). Why so many hurdles?
                  And, please, why is it allways "credit card only"? Outside the US not everybody has a ceedit card or is willing to use it on such a purpose. (I don't like to pay with cc because I want to pay now and not later. A direkt bank transfer is allways prefered by me.)
                  Why not quick an easy? There are payment systems like "PayPal" or "Click'n'buy" witch might keep a part of the cake but they are easy to use.
                  Be nice to the people who want to donate!

Sorry I don't get exactly what you're talking about, is this related to my response, eventually meaning the "old" before-download donation of MODx? =) I would do it for sure over paypal, but even then we could probably not cover the whole world, there are for sure some countries that are "blocked" from paypal...

Quote from: jim.killock at Apr 08, 2013, 10:16 AM

I agree with this and the regular donations call. I have donated a few times and would be very happy to give $10 a month.

And I'm sure many others would too!

Maybe, I don't know, do you have another idea to generate income for the core-core-devs and other contributors?

Quote from: redtoad at Apr 08, 2013, 12:48 PM
                  heard of Kickstarter? donations do work.

and seriously guys. What's the software worth to you?

yes, that's exactly what everybody should think about!

Quote from: jim.killock at Apr 08, 2013, 03:03 PM

Try and see: not much to lose, is there?

My organisation is based on 1,500 regular donators of roughly $15 a month, and of course there are many people here with a business stake in MODX thriving, so a good motivation to contribute. I think there's also a chicken and egg thing: if some of us do, then others will too.

That's what I think too, try it and see...all that could be lost is the time to develop such functionality...
                  • @exside:
                    You have raised some very interesting ideas—thanks for taking the time to share. I know for MODX overall itself over its 8+ years, soliciting donations has always been non-productive and to be honest a bit demoralizing … they just don't come easily. Successful donation driven organizations like NPR are constantly shilling for contributions, and I don't think that's something I'd like to see MODX become. That being said, nothing is stopping anyone from asking for Paypal addresses and sending dollars towards deserving individuals.

My only concern with "officially" encouraging something like this, is the potential of alienating contributors that volunteer for very important roles to the overall MODX ecosystem, but that are easy to overlook unless you've "been there and done that". (Forum moderators, translations and others come to mind.) Or maybe some don't speak English as a primary language, or they're not comfortable waving a flag to draw attention to their contributions. If only the folks that crank out code are rewarded financially, or you have to actively promote you efforts by keeping an "Open Source timesheet" as proof/evidence of your contributions, I wonder if that could be a disincentive to some contributors?
                      Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                      Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                      • 24,544 Posts
                      One problem is that the request to donate doesn't come at the best time. When you download MODX, either you're in the middle of some work, or you're just trying it out. Either way you're less likely to stop what you're doing and donate.

I'm sure you've considered emailing people with a request to donate. I wonder how that would work.

Another interesting option would be to build a donation request into the Package Manager Update screen, giving users the ability to split a donation between MODX and the extra's developer(s). If someone is updating a package, the odds are that they like it and are using it.

[Gateway Timeout] I notice that this has happened twice now when another user and I were posting to the same thread at approximately the same time. In this case either post would have been on a new page, and that also seems to be a common denominator in some gateway timeouts.

Maybe there's a race condition. Since the post is successful, it probably happens after the post itself is stored in the DB, when the user is forwarded to the new post. [ed. note: BobRay last edited this post 11 years, 1 month ago.]
                        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                        My MODX Extras
                        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting