We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 573 Posts
    I also came from a design background, but found the transition to modx revo from evo very easy. I don't understand the talk of needing to know xtJS, objects, MVC, and PHP5 etc.. you can get by with using just snippets like wayfinder, getResources (ditto) and never write a line of backend code - just like you did with modx evo. I do wonder if some people have even tired out revo.
    • In all fairness, customizing the Manager is a bit harder and not quite as flexible as in Evo, but that's a huge priority for me personally to make sure is addressed going forward.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 573 Posts
        Not sure I follow - form customisation is a lot easier than managerManager and you can easily change the lexicon strings, menu actions, dashboard widgets etc.. You can also export user roles and form customisations making it really quick to get up and running.

The dependance on right clicking is the main problem with the current revo UI.
        • Ok, I just had a nice phone call with MODX user iusemodx and he pointed me to his forum post that already explains how easy it is to make EVO compatible with PHP 5.4

http://forums.modx.com/thread/?thread=80990&page=1

He has tested in on over 22 websites with no problems.
            Benjamin Davis: American web designer living in Munich, Germany and a MODX Ambassador. I am also co-founder of SEDA.digital, a MODX Agency.
            • Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
              Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
              • 953 Posts
              Quote from: rethrash at Feb 22, 2013, 10:17 PM
              Evo doesn't run on PHP 5.4 and it would be really great if it did

Take a look here for the modifications that are required.

I have now been running over 20 sites in a PHP5.4 environment for about 2 months without any problems using the modifications found in my post.

For those users in Germany who are concerned reference 1 & 1 - the modifications work perfectly on 1 & 1 servers using PHP5.2 onwards, including 5.4

Cheers
              • Moved the Evo code discussion to a new thread. Please carry those discussions on there. Thanks!
                  Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                  • 712 Posts
                  Regarding the 'packing Revo with a sample site' thing please don't! There are extras that do that, and it seems like Cloud snapshots could be great for this too. Being pure vanilla is one of the things that got me turned onto Revo.
                    jpdevries
                    • 534 Posts
                    Quote from: dinocorn at Mar 03, 2013, 05:17 PM
                    Regarding the 'packing Revo with a sample site' thing please don't! There are extras that do that, and it seems like Cloud snapshots could be great for this too. Being pure vanilla is one of the things that got me turned onto Revo.

definitely...or at least make it optional when installing/upgrading and unchecked by default!

as jp mentioned, some extras do it (extensively, some of them) and I cannot stand to have a crapload of chunks, templates, categories and so on...I thinks this is one of the major areas where the package-management process should be refined. Make it easy to provide INSTALLATION-OPTIONS =)...there are already some extras that do that kind of in-installation-choices, like VersionX or so, but this has to be really made automatically somehow. So if a package wants to create chunks, or tvs or whatever I should be asked before that or at least have the option to check, uncheck some of them or all...is there any plan to do something like this?
                      • 712 Posts
                      Less is more when it comes to the core!
                        jpdevries