We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 38 Posts
    Hello,

I have a website with MODx 2.2.6. and now I need a reliable shopping cart, what would you recommend? We're selling to Australian/New Zealand market. Need a shopping cart with payment and shipping features that would work in AU/NZ.

Thanks,
    World
      • 436 Posts
      I'm looking around for purely a cart rather than backend system and 'am playing with http://plumjs.com/extend/shop at the moment. It's fitting into Modx and products using resources rather well, but it does have the inherent flaws that any javascript based cart does.
        • 24,544 Posts
          Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
          • 436 Posts
          Hi Bob,

I had a quick look at SimpleCart the other day when scouting around but was put off by the fact that I couldn't read the documentation before buying it. I've tried numerous cart solutions only to find something like the shipping calculations couldn't be done in the precise way that I need (and writing php code isn't a strong point for me).
            • 436 Posts
            Bob, if you happen to able to answer this I would purchase SimpleCart in a flash.

To keep it brief (although I'm sure it won't be), the place I work for is an art gallery, the last part of the new site to be done is the shop. The problem is shipping costs are really complex and can't be worked out via any set weighted formula to scale from domestic to EU to world in the same way from item to item. So basically each location's shipping cost needs to be custom worked out and entered on an item by item basis. The obvious way with modx would be simple TVs for each value on each shop item resource. Doing this seems to be a problem for so many shopping carts I've tried that aren't complete front and backend solutions.

I would need a solution that can be integrated into modx to make the upkeep simple for the other guys and allow me for example to pull up a sample of shop items by a particular artist and display them on other non-shop pages when such instances as an artist name TV for an exhibition is the same the same as an artist name TV for a shop item. I can do that fine when shop items are resources and I assume with SimpleCart that's no problem at all. But pulling in modx calls into a separate non-modx script is beyond me, hence the need for integration in the backend. I've tried numerous javascript carts that can sit ontop but none work quite right with the shipping cost requirements.

Basically, can SimpleCart handle completely variable location based custom shipping values as specified by TVs rather than using a weighted or flat rate system?

Thanks for your help. [ed. note: absent42 last edited this post 11 years, 2 months ago.]
              • Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
                • 534 Posts
                As far as I can tell from using simplecart, this is not possible without additional coding, but you could ask bert oost about it. For the rest I really can say that I recommend simplecart. I also just build a (at the time JS only) shop with the plumshop jquery plugin you mentioned before...great piece of code, so flexible!

In some quite minute I'll have to try to combine simplecart and plumshop to work together, that would be perfect (I don't like the constant page reloading when using simplecart only (not simplecarts fault, just php that needs to get values whenever something changes, could also be handeled with ajax only (without plumshop), but didn't try that yet, I know of a shop who does it, so it's def. possible =)!
                  • 436 Posts
                  Thanks for the reply exside. I've already put in a query to the developer as suggested by sottwell and 'am waiting to hear back for his take on the possibilities. Hopefully it won't be too hard to implement.

And like you I'm not too keen on the page reloading but I think it shouldn't be too hard to get it running either through ajax or in a light box.

Correction: Posted through my regular account rather than another one that was stored on my phone for some reason.
                    • 436 Posts
                    Well, I've tried to contact the developer through the contact form on the site but got no reply. Just tried via the direct email address listed and got a "550-5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist." error.
                      • 104 Posts
                      Dan, have you looked at FoxyCart?

I believe they now offer at least one payment gateway for NZ. It's a $15ish cost per month, but I think that you should be able to do the shipping costs they way you want. They provide good support, so you should be able to get help on it if it proves hard.