We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 141 Posts
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for the assistance, as far as I can see I've replicated the permissions on both installs and still have the same issue. The only way I have been able to get this to work is to copy both files and db across.
      • 230 Posts
      great stuff !
        CONIN Werbeagentur . Köln
        http://www.conin.de
        • 181 Posts
        Hi,

I really like ClientConfig (to the extent that I translated it wink), but at the moment I have a problem with it that needs to be solved quite quickly because I'd like to hand over the site I'm working on to the client in a few days.

I'm developing sites on my local webserver, then transfer the changes I made to the installation on the server, so I always have a backup, and the client doesn't encounter problems when checking the state of development just because I'm just in the middle of rearranging something. I upload new or changed files, transfer most of the database tables (except <prefix>_system_settings and <prefix>_workspaces), clear the cache, and usually everything works.

Today I added several ClientConfig groups and settings, transferred the database tables to the server and cleared the cache as usual. When the new settings didn't show up in the site, I wanted to open ClientConfig and save the settings again in order to overwrite the cache file. But ClientConfig didn't show up. I can see the MODX header and the menu, and the resource tree shows up at the left side; everything else is empty. I cleared the MODX cache again (via the manager and by renaming the cache folder), as well as the browser cache, logged out and in again, I even tried the "Reinstall" button in the Package Management, but nothing helped. I compared the local files with the remote ones, checked the database tables, but I didn't find any problems.

When I copy my local /core/cache/system_settings/clientconfig.cache.php to the server, at least the frontend (my client's site) works as expected, but since my client is the one who has to use the configuration pages, this has to be solved.

Does anyone know what could have gone wrong here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
        Jan
          This message has been ROT-13 encrypted twice for higher security.
        • Jan, it sounds like there's some errors in building the interface. This could be a 404 not found error for one of the javascript files, or even something earlier in the process where the PHP errors out.

A few things you can do to diagnose what exactly is the problem:

1. Open up the developer console or firebug before opening clientconfig
          2. Check the MODX error log in Reports > Error Log for any errors
          3. Check the PHP error log, potentially in the root of the site in a file named error_log or accessible from your server control panel.
            Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
            • 181 Posts
            Hi Mark,

thank you very much for your quick reply.

Quote from: markh at Jul 12, 2013, 05:29 PM
            Jan, it sounds like there's some errors in building the interface. This could be a 404 not found error for one of the javascript files, or even something earlier in the process where the PHP errors out.
            Hm, I had only uploaded some images and CSS files and transferred the database tables, so I thought it's unlikely that I changed MODX or ClientConfig files. But as it seems, the file permissions for some ClientConfig JavaScript and CSS files had changed - I got a 403 status code for five or six files.

Strange, since ClientConfig used to work just fine maybe two weeks ago... But I installed the update to version 1.1.2-pl on June 26th, maybe something went wrong during the update.

Well, thank you very much for pushing me in the right direction - everything's fine again! smiley

Cheers,
            Jan
              This message has been ROT-13 encrypted twice for higher security.
            • I have an odd issue where I moved a site from one server to another using Vapor and at the new server there are now 2 ClientConfig interfaces, one on top of the other instead of just one. It all still works and you can edit in either one of them but it's odd and a bit confusing to the client.
              • Quote from: rx2 at Aug 13, 2013, 01:02 PM
                I have an odd issue where I moved a site from one server to another using Vapor and at the new server there are now 2 ClientConfig interfaces, one on top of the other instead of just one. It all still works and you can edit in either one of them but it's odd and a bit confusing to the client.

That's definitely odd. Can you show a screenshot and try reinstalling the package to see if that helps?
                  Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
                  • 165 Posts
                  I just installed ClientConfig 1.1.2 through the package manager and it's awesome! I've done something similar for my clients in the past, with TVs and a settings resource, but this is much more intuitive.

The only things I'm missing is a rich text field type and a resource dropdown list. On GitHub there's a 1.2.0 release which supposedly incorporates a rich text field type - any chance this will be available as a download through package manager?
                  • Hi Sketchi, glad you like it.

1.2.0 is available from the modmore.com package provider currently (for free of course) but I keep forgetting to build the package for modx.com.. It's on the list again.

• 165 Posts
                      Great, got it! Thank you!

So that's the rich-text editing sorted - any plans of adding a resource list as field type in a future release?