We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 236 Posts
    Hi, I'm having problems here and wondered if anyone had managed to do this or similar.

I have a git repo on modxcloud using bitbucket as the remote, this seems to be working ok. I'm now trying to clone the repo from bitbucket to my server, this is where I'm having problems. So I ssh into my server and run the clone command and I get the following error

Permission denied (publickey)
    Fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly

Even though the public keys are working fine when I connect directly to bitbucket. I've exhausted the bitbucket ssh trouble shooting. I doubt this issue is specific to modxcloud but thought I would ask anyway.

I can't get it to work with https either.

Thanks!
      • 6 Posts
      I'm very interested in the Workflow writeup too. Particularly what is and isn't stored in the database.

I posted here because my questions weren't specifically about ModX cloud.

I'm not sure I understand 'staging site may well already have different content compared to the DEV site' ... Shouldn't Dev/testing be able to rebase from staging during development? Keeping the entire site exactly the same except the changes they are working on?
        • 241 Posts
        it's been a year since the start of this thread. i thought it be helpful to revisit it and share experiences and findings.
        Chris? everybody?
          • 38 Posts
          We're restructuring our workflow with MODX and Git this month. I'll post our results here.

Still, the main problem to solve is how one synchronizes databases between a few local dev-installs and the live-site.
          If anyone has a few good pointers to handling this, I'd appreciate.
          • Quote from: bobwal at Mar 19, 2013, 09:16 AM

Also, is there a shortcut to avoid having to enter the server address and password each time?
            Thanks
            This topic is getting old, but I have a few tricks for this that might be useful. I keep a text file for every site I work on, and in this file I keep all the URLs and passwords and other relevant information I may need for working on the site. I keep these in an encrypted folder for security. The first thing I do when creating a new Cloud is to get into the Cloud installation's .ssh directory and add my local public key to its authorized_keys file, so I don't have to log in again. Then I use a nice terminal emulator that lets me copy/paste to and from the terminal window, so I just copy the working connection string and paste it to the text file. The next time that I want to log in via SSH, I can just copy from the text file and paste into my terminal window.

Another interesting way to access a site via SSH is to use sshfs. You still have to connect as above, but once you do that you have a "virtual" folder on your local machine that you can access as if it were actually on your local machine, except for the time lag as it makes the connections to the remote server.
              Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
              Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
              Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
              • 184 Posts
              This guide looks good.
              However the Website running on MODX, is hosted by a Webhost that doesn't offer SSH.
              So, I have been FTPing all website files to my computer where I setup LAMP as a local server for editing the website.
              However I also have to export the website's database from the Webhost to my LAMP local server MySQL files.

The MODX website doesn't show correctly, which defeats the purpose of viewing the website offline for editing, as I can't see the exact replica.

So, you mention MODX cloud, is that like a Webhost or something?
              Or can I continue what I'm doing, (I bit like your setup I think), but maybe I'm missing some final configuration on the pulled website?

Also, I find git behaves weirdly when I made the git init in my computer/www/var/html. [ed. note: eiger3970 last edited this post 9 years, 1 month ago.]
                • 236 Posts
                I'm looking at this again, as the thread is quite old does anyone have any updates on how they are dealing with this?
                Also, does anyone know how to get the coloured terminal back over SSH? I can't deal with git in black and white!

Cheers [ed. note: bobwal last edited this post 8 years, 4 months ago.]
                  • 236 Posts
                  Quote from: bobwal at Dec 23, 2015, 04:24 PM
                  Also, does anyone know how to get the coloured terminal back over SSH?

Thanks to cloud support, git colours can be set over ssh with
                  git config --global color.ui auto
                    • 236 Posts
                    Bit quiet around these parts. Anyhow, I thought I'd share my current workflow. I've setup a doc for my own reference here https://gist.github.com/bobbwal/be18773acf8f7155b6a0
                      • 8 Posts
                      I understand the concepts of using git, but I've never actually done a setup before. I would love to see more feedback here from successful setups. I'm just one guy, so I don't have the need for a team setup. I'm sure that makes things a little easier, but I'm still new and have to understand setting all the apps up and getting them to work together with MODx Cloud. I'm on a mac, but I'm going to look at bobwal's Windows setup to see if I can translate.