We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 834 Posts
    Trying to install the latest version of Revo and I keep getting this error message

503 Error

Could not load MODX config file.

Anyone know how to fix this?

I've installed previous version of Revo many times without issue, so I'm not sure what's going on. There's nothing in the install guide about this.

Thanks

[ed. note: markg last edited this post 12 years ago.]
      Content Creator and Copywriter
      • 1,098 Posts
        • 834 Posts
        Tried that, no luck

Do I need to rename any of the files?
          • 1,098 Posts
          I think you need to rename ht.access to .htaccess, other than that, I don't know.
            • 834 Posts
            Yeh already did that.

By the way this is a local install on Wamp using php5.3, Apachge2.2.11
              • 834 Posts
              Now this is weird. After much head scratching I created a completely new folder, dragged the zip file over, unzipped it, and hey presto it worked (sort of)

Just to double check I tried re-unzipping it in the old folder and there was just no way it was going to get past the 503 error. Truly strange.

So installed now, but now when I try to run it I get a

Parse error: parse error in D:\wamp\www\Revolution\modx-2.2.1-pl\core\config\config.inc.php on line 13

Error. Time to search the forums again.
                • 1 Posts
                I'm thinking that it is either a file and folder owner permissions issue of where they are located, and/or an Apache permissions issue relating to cgi & php; i.e., A malformed or missing .htaccess file.

So that you don't have to go translate the link above, here is the answer from the Russian link:

Figured out.
                If you have PHP 5.3 and comes out an error 503, then most likely you will need to register in. Htaccess your time zone, for example:
                php_value date.timezone "Asia / Moscow"

• 1 Posts
                  To install latest version Revo try to use full installation way like this yoursitename/setup/index.php
                  For me it worked.
                    • 20 Posts
                    У меня после установки пишет вот такое, мучаюсь уже 3 день. А версия EVO устанавливается без проблем. Но мне нужна именно REVO.

500 Error

Site temporarily unavailable.
                      • 1 Posts
                      I have just downloaded and installed modx-2.2.4-pl on a linux system (Apache2/PHP 5.3.10 + Suhosin) and I get the same error after setting up a local host and calling the site. I, too, get the error "Could not load MODX config file". I traced the error to core/model/modx/modx.class.php [l. 492].

MODX expects an empty, writable config file at /core/config/config.inc.php. This is described in the installation manual - but one can easily miss that. Just create the empty, writable file there and it should be working.

The easiest alternative is to call the setup directly by opening: http://mymodxsite.loc/setup/ in the browser.