We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 701 Posts
    Hi All
    I've had a reseller account with heart internet for a while now. I've found them great and the customer services has been very good. On many occasions they've helped me out configuring stuff and i've never had any problems running modx both evo and revo. But one thing that was missing was a one click install of modx, they had all the other CMS but no Modx.

But i've just seen they have finally added it, which is great news for me and hopefully others.

Below is a link to heart, but i put my hands up now it is an affiliate link, sorry.
    http://www.heartinternet.co.uk/aff.cgi?entry=p0YT_zjryMIEFqFhqWAyiQ

~Benny

EDIT - Just tried it out, works well and the version is REVO 2.2.0-PL2 [ed. note: bennyb last edited this post 12 years, 3 months ago.]
      • 31 Posts
      Hi bennyb,
      Look before you jump on the "one-click" installs. That's how I found MODX, but just before clicking I noticed the fine print... With the one-click installs, you can not modify or add plugins, and a lot of that type of restriction, "for security purposes". When I inquired, they told me that if I need to customize and stay fully flexible, I needed to do my own install. I wouldn't be happy building a site, and later discover the limits...
        • 118 Posts
        Quote from: larrybqd at May 12, 2012, 07:35 PM
        Hi bennyb,
        Look before you jump on the "one-click" installs. That's how I found MODX, but just before clicking I noticed the fine print... With the one-click installs, you can not modify or add plugins, and a lot of that type of restriction, "for security purposes". <snip>
        I came across this post at the weekend and it caught my attention as I'm working on a job for a client who is using a one-click-install on a Heart Internet hosting account. My client sought advice from Heart Internet support who responded:

We put the one click install there for convenience. You can add add-ons to it and upgrade. The scripts are running in your web space and you have FULL access to them!
        • I'm curious who does the setup of these one click installs, as many of them seem to be lacking some kind of required php setting, or are set up without full db permissions, fail to install an admin user with a role of super admin, etc.

I do admit that one click installs are very tempting, but users do need to be wary. The "too good to be true" rule often applies.

One aspect of one click installs that bothers me is the db naming. Either you get some kind of long azz weird obscure db name, or they straight up name it MODX. Blech!

I found MODX through a one click install as well. I also found Joomla, Drupal, Wordpress... etc. Not knowing which to try, I began to research ratings and reviews. MODX won and I never looked back (much). However I eventually concluded that manual install was preferable, and that many of the issues related to package downloads, php.ini settings, and permissions are solved if you give up the 5 extra minutes to create a db and install it manually. 5 minutes up front can save hours, or days sometimes :~}

Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
            "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
            Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
          • The trick to easy manual install is to upload the entire zip archive, then extract it in place. Different hosts have different mechanisms for doing this. For example FatCow has a different control panel and after uploading the archive you have to use their archive management tool; their file manager doesn't include an extraction function.
              Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
              Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
              Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
              • 118 Posts
              I do all my installs manually. No issues so far on this Heart one-click effort but have not started on the job in earnest yet, just installed a few extras via the package manager. They have automatically assigned a somewhat obtuse name for the database like you say is common though.
              • Exactly as Susan has mentioned, but I have found that you can extract it using the Heart Internet control panel file manager (right click, unzip).
                  • 118 Posts
                  Quote from: kp1664 at Dec 17, 2012, 06:49 PM
                  Exactly as Susan has mentioned, but I have found that you can extract it using the Heart Internet control panel file manager (right click, unzip).
                  I'll pass that on to the guy with the Heart account, might be handy for future reference.
                  • Quote from: chris.dempsey78 at Dec 17, 2012, 07:05 PM
                    Quote from: kp1664 at Dec 17, 2012, 06:49 PM
                    Exactly as Susan has mentioned, but I have found that you can extract it using the Heart Internet control panel file manager (right click, unzip).
                    I'll pass that on to the guy with the Heart account, might be handy for future reference.

I wouldn't upgrade any other way (i.e. ftp). He should be sure to always unpack upgrades or install zip files in this manner. (plus clear the core/cache files, and make sure to flush all sessions & logout out of the manager prior to running setup)
                      Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
                      "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
                      Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
                      • 701 Posts
                      I've not actually used the one click instal for a while as it was quickly an out of date version.

I used to unzip via the control panels file manager but a lot of the time it use to just hang so I gave up with at. This may of changes as i know over the last year or so they've given it a bit of a refresh. Also if i recall the file permissions on the directories always needed to be changed.