We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 64 Posts
    Running lastest pl version of Modx and latest version of all plugins.

I have 2 blogs on my site both using Articles.
    1 blog is functioning properly the other is not.

Problem:

Archives and Tags are being listed on both the article container and individual article pages, but when clicked it doesn't filter out any posts. If I click on a specific tag to view all articles with that tag it goes to the correct url http://sitename.com/blog/tags/tagname but the page displays every post not just the ones with that tag.

Same behavior with archives. When viewing posts in a particular month, the corresponding archive page shows all posts regardless of when they were posted.

Why would this work properly on one blog and not on the other?
    http://6foot4.net/blog (working)
    http://6foot4.net/church-branding (not working)

• 9 Posts
      I'm having the same problem. Is this actually supposed to work? I can't find any info on that.

When entering a tag manually however through the backend (see screenshot) it appears to be working. Now i only need to find a way to dynamically pass the URL param to that tag-parameter.

Any ideas?
        • 9 Posts
        This is the screenshot.

Unfortunately this field is not covered in the »Articles« module documentation.
        http://rtfm.modx.com/display/ADDON/Articles.Creating+a+Blog
          • 9 Posts
          I solved the problem by creating a little snippet called »tagParam« that contains the tag value.

$request = $_REQUEST;
          $matches = array();

preg_match('/\/tags\/(.*)/', $request['q'], $matches);

return $matches[1];

Then i pass this snippets return value to the field »Other Listing Parameters« in the General > Advanced settings tab of the blog module.

&tag=`[[tagParam?]]`

Seems a little awkward to me but i just needed a quick solution [ed. note: marcelkalveram last edited this post 12 years, 2 months ago.]
            • 23 Posts
            I had problems with the Tags and Archives links. I managed to get them working by changing the following System Settings:

• Core > Friendly URL > use_alias_path = Yes
            • Core > Friendly URL > container_suffix = /

If you go down this route I believe you also need the following in the head of your page templates:
            <base href="[[++site_url]]" /> 

This is not ideal - the rest of the site has URLs that end without the "/", but all the blog post URLs are terminated with a forward slash. I hate this sort of inconsistency - if anyone knows of a way to fix this I'd be really grateful.

• 33 Posts
              Hey all! I wanted to give this issue a bump as I have am the same issue!

I tried Smooth Pixel's solution making these changes but to no avail!

I am not yet at the part in my development where I need to be too concerned about the tags, but its fast approaching and will be bookmarking to use Marcel's solution if necessary.

If someone could weigh in with a solution or insight why these are not sorting by tag or designated month.

Cheers!
                • 23 Posts
                Hi Shopcoop, sorry my solution didn't work for you. From what I've read, you have to have those System Settings for Articles to work properly.

• Once you changed the settings, did you try Clear Cache and Flush Permissions?
                • Are the URLs now showing the following format: example.com/blog/2012/03/09/my-article/ ?

I found that sometimes, when you save an article without it being set to published, it saves with a shorter URL (e.g. example.com/my-article/). While this works for viewing the page, it may cause problems when it comes to viewing Tags/Archives.

On a separate note, I found out how to get the rest of the site's URLs to terminate with a "/" (to match the Articles URLs). Go to System > Content Types > HTML and add / as the extension.
                  • 33 Posts
                  Thanks Smooth!

It is working now, sort of:) Im not sure, but its likely that something very simple like clearing the cache was causing me problems.

My new problem is I cant get tag sorting to work across multiple article containers. I can sort within a container no problem and pulling the tags from all the containers is working. But once I want to see the results for a tag search, all i get is the results for one container, seems to be the top container in the tree.

I think im missing a parameter in my tolinks call. Cheers!
                    • 238 Posts
                    The URL should be working now. Please have a look and see if there is anything obvious. Site's going LIVE soon!

EDIT: I've just tried to manually append the URL and it works with:
                    /frus-blog/?tag=House+Sharing

Doesn't work with the URL Articles builds:
                    /frus-blog/tags/House+Sharing
                    [ed. note: Vitalized last edited this post 12 years, 1 month ago.]
                      Web Development, Web Hosting & Search Engine Marketing by:

Vitalized | UK
                      w. www.vitalized.co.uk

Website Design | Search Engine Marketing (SEM) | UK MODx web hosting, secure, fast & 100% MODx compatible

Vitalized | Australia
                      w. www.vitalized-australia.com.au

Website Design | Search Engine Marketing (SEM) | Australian MODx web hosting, secure, fast & 100% MODx compatible
                      • 163 Posts
                      @CBorah - I'm sure you're probably not checking these forums at the moment, but could you share with everybody how you got your friendly urls to work with taglister? Specifically your .htacess file?

So much miss information about how to get this working on here with no definitive solution, and really surprised the snippet hasn't been updated to get this working out the box.