We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 110 Posts
    Hi,

I have just updated a site to 2.1.3 from 2.1.1 and am now getting an "Error 404: Page not found" message for the site when I try to view any of it's pages in a browser. I can still log in and access everything in the Manager but when I click "View" for any Resources I get the same error massage. I have emptied the site cache and the browsers caches and tried installing the update a second time in case there was a glitch but to no avail.

I have tried the solution mentioned in this thread http://ttyl.modx.com/thread/?thread=28473&page=2 below...

Uninstall TinyMCE
    Manually clear the directory core/cache via FTP
    Check packages and set them to modxcms supplier to update them
    Clear the site cache

...but it doesn't solve the problem.

I have already upgraded two other sites without a problem by backing-up the "config.inc.php" files (and DB), dragging and dropping the new version of MODx onto the Fetch window and then replacing the "config.inc.php" file, so am at a loss as what to do next and would really welcome any suggestions as to what to try now.

Cheers - Zaphodx

MODx 2.1.3-pl
    Add-ons: captcha, codemirror, formit, getresourcefield, tinymce (all up to date)
    Server: PHP 5.2.17, SQL 5.0.92
    I'm working on Mac OSX 10.6.7, Firefox 5.0 (and other browsers) [ed. note: zaphodx last edited this post 12 years, 8 months ago.]
    • That really doesn't sound like the right way to upgrade.

Typically you will start with a backup of all files and the database. Then upload all the files from the package. Next run setup again, choosing upgrade mode. In more detail: http://rtfm.modx.com/display/revolution20/Upgrading+MODx

Is the 404 you're getting the 404 page from MODX or a server 404? Do you have friendly urls enabled? [ed. note: markh last edited this post 12 years, 8 months ago.]
        Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
        • 110 Posts
        Hi Mark,

I did back up the DB via cPanel phpMyAdmin first and did run Setup using upgrade mode after uploading the package files

Friendly urls are enabled, although I have tried turning them off which didn't seem to change anything.

How would I check to see where the 404 pages are coming from?

Thanks for your input - Zaphodx smiley
        • Your MODX 404 would either be a dedicated page you set up to be the 404 page. If you didn't set one up that defaults to the resource with id 1 (often the homepage).

Server 404s are plain and don't represent your site.

Try disabling FURLs and see if that fixes it. If it does, you will probably need to check your .htaccess file and make sure that's correct.
            Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
            • 110 Posts
            Ok,

I haven't set up a 404 page for this site yet, so I guess its from from the server.

I have tried disabling FURLs but it didn't change anything, and the .htaccess file hasn't been changed so shouldn't be affecting FURLs...

Thanks again - Zaphodx
              • 24,544 Posts
              In order to disable FURLs, you have to rename .htaccess (say, to ht.access). Rename it and turn FURLs off in the System Settings. If that makes things work, it will narrow down the possibilities for what's wrong.
                Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                My MODX Extras
                Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                • 110 Posts
                Thanks BobRay,

I've tried that and still no change, so even when clicking on View from within MODx, this - http://www.xxxx.com/index.php?id=1 gives "Page not found"

Curious and frustrating!
                  • 24,544 Posts
                  That tells us that the problem is not with the .htaccess file (assuming that you cleared the site cache). Try deleting all the files in the core/cache directory and clearing your browser cache and cookies.

You did run setup after updating the files, right?

If the steps above don't help, the next thing to try is checking the paths in core/config/config.inc.php

and the config.core.php files:

§ MODX root directory
                  § /manager/
                  § /connectors/
                  § /setup/includes/
                    My MODX Extras
                    • 110 Posts
                    Deleted all files in cache/core, cleared site cache and cleared browser cache and cookies.

I did run setup.

The config.inc.php file seems to be correct.

The config.core.php files in the manager, connectors and connectors directories seem to be present and correct, however there is no setup/includes directory, does this get deleted after running setup?
                      • 24,544 Posts
                      Yes, it goes if you choose to delete the setup directory. It's not used except during setup.

It might be worth trying to just uninstall and remove TinyMCE altogether, clear the caches/cookies again and see what that does.

The only other thing I can think of is Context or Resource Group permissions that maybe weren't enforced due to a bug in the earlier version.

What kind of Context Access ACL entries are in place for the 'web' context and are the resources you can't see in a resource group?

My MODX Extras