We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 46 Posts
    Hi! There is a newsletter system for modx revo that allows to send newsletters with HTML content? (I mean with graphics contents in text)

Thanks
      • 24,544 Posts
      Take a look at the EmailResource package.

The bulk email function is not implemented yet, but it would be relatively easy to add and the plugin does email a full HTML version of the resource to a single address. You can send it to MailChimp using their Email Beaming facility and send it out from there.

Note that all images need to have full URLs.

There's a tutorial here: http://bobsguides.com/emailresource-plugin-tutorial.html
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 46 Posts
        Very thanks for your kindly reply!
        What does that mean?

The bulk email function is not implemented yet, but it would be relatively easy to add and the plugin does email a full HTML version of the resource to a single address.

With this, do you think that I've to use another plugin for send mails?
        You can send it to MailChimp using their Email Beaming facility and send it out from there.
          • 46 Posts
          Please can you reply to my questions?

Thanks
            • 147 Posts
            EmailResource has been designed to take any MODX resource (simplistically, any page you can create) and sends it to an email address - that is, it sends a single email only.

The value of this is that it allows you to largely automate email newsletter creation. You can make a resource which contains the introductory text of your last six articles, or all your articles since you sent the last newsletter, or whatever you like. You can use HTML markup. You can create a CSS file, and EmailResource will take that CSS and turn it into inline styles, which are required for email that will display well in a wide variety of email clients.

Why doesn't it send the emails itself? Because bulk emailing is harder than it looks, and because you can use MailChimp to do the job very effectively.

If you're going to send a lot of emails, and you want them to get through, you need to set up:

• Reverse PTR records
            • DomainKeys
            • SenderID
            • Bounce handling

See http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2010/04/so-youd-like-to-send-some-email-through-code.html by Jeff Atwood, who is no fool.

To make all this work you will need to have a co-operative ISP. Most ISPs hate bulk emailers, for obvious reasons.

Hence the attraction of an email bureau like MailChimp. They have all this worked out, including the extra-tricky bounce management piece. MailChimp is particularly appealing because they are cheap, and because they offer "email beaming" - you send an email to a special address, and they turn it into a ready-to-send email campaign.

Email creation is best done in MODX. But for many people, email delivery is arguably best handled by an outside bureau.

And if you want to send the email yourself, and have figured out a way to handle the bounce management and configuration issues? Try the DitsNews extra: http://modx.com/extras/package/ditsnews

David Walker
              Principal, Shorewalker DMS
              Phone: 03 8899 7790
              Mobile: 0407 133 020
              • 24,544 Posts
              Quote from: dandibox at Sep 05, 2011, 01:05 PM
              Very thanks for your kindly reply!
              What does that mean?

The bulk email function is not implemented yet, but it would be relatively easy to add and the plugin does email a full HTML version of the resource to a single address.
              Sorry, the new Forum software wouldn't show me your reply and I couldn't find your post.

It means that the current EmailResource code will send a single test email anywhere you want it to (with inline CSS and HTML), but currently does not send bulk email to a group of users. That function is on the roadmap, so it should be possible in the future, or you could add that code yourself to the EmailResource class if you know how to do it.

As David Walker suggests, you could create an account with MailChimp and send the test email to the address they will supply you with. Then you could create your group of users to send to at MailChimp and send the email out from there.
                My MODX Extras
                • 46 Posts
                Thansk for all replies, this mean that I can use EmailResource for have an HTML version of my specific page! OK great!!!

Now suppose that I want allow users of site to subscribe, insert their mail address.... and that I want to send a resource to alll mail address... there is an easy way using only ModxRevo and not other solutions?

Thanks to all!!
                  • 24,544 Posts
                  You would have to write a bit of code that sends bulk email to the user group and add it to the EmailResource code. It would go in the plugin where it currently says:

/* *********************************** */

/* bulk email $output goes here */

/* *********************************** */

I'll be adding that at some point when I have the time.

My MODX Extras
                    • 46 Posts
                    Thanks for your reply!

But with this component (EmailResouces) I've a list of users groups?? I mean visitors that have inserted own mail address in a "newletter" form?

Thanks
                      • 24,544 Posts
                      EmailResources just emails resources. It doesn't manage your user groups for you.

The Login package contains snippets to let people self-register for user groups.
                        My MODX Extras