We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • Jan and everyone,

Sorry for the delay in posting here. We are going to be streamlining how we communicating with our translators and all developers about RCs and changes that relate to your contributions. It was an oversight on my part that I didn’t post here. As with many things in software development, never say never, while we didn’t plan an RC2 or 3 it became inevitable and required changes.

If you have any questions or suggestions on how we can make your job of translations easier, please let us know. We love to hear your feedback and as always appreciate the effort and time that goes into making translations to MODX.

Cheers,

Jay
      Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
      • 181 Posts
      enigmatic_user Reply #22, 13 years ago
      Quote from: smashingred at Apr 12, 2011, 02:32 PM

Sorry for the delay in posting here. We are going to be streamlining how we communicating with our translators and all developers about RCs and changes that relate to your contributions. It was an oversight on my part that I didn’t post here.
      No need for excuses here - we all know you’re very busy putting things straight for the next release, and things like these happen when there’s no stringent concept for handling this.

Quote from: smashingred at Apr 12, 2011, 02:32 PM

If you have any questions or suggestions on how we can make your job of translations easier, please let us know. We love to hear your feedback and as always appreciate the effort and time that goes into making translations to MODX.
      I can only speak for myself, but I’d prefer a special newsletter the translators can subscribe to. This shouldn’t require a great deal of work - each newsletter could contain a small section at the top that refers to the current situation (including version number, deadline etc.) and a bigger part that is included in every newsletter and that contains some general information.

What I’d like to see in such a newsletter is:

• MODX version that should be translated
      • deadline
      • where to get the new development version: GitHub download (ZIP) / via Git (which branch?)
      • how to "deliver" the translation: thread in the bug tracker (which files should be included, which format should be used?) / via Git (which branch?)
      • links to other resources regarding the translation, e.g. a forum thread with more detailed information
      • links to significant information about using Git (http://rtfm.modx.com/display/community/Using+Git+and+GitHub etc.) for those new to Git
      • information about whom to contact when there are questions regarding the translation (could be an e-mail address or - even better - a special forum thread or a subforum) and, if possible, Git

To make it short: Include as much information as possible for the translators, and don’t forget those that are new to translating MODX. Most of the text never needs to be changed (or at least very seldom).

It would be nice if there was a notification when something has been significantly changed, too, even when there’s no official release planned yet. On the one hand it’s better for those testing the develop versions when the translation is up to date, on the other hand we can organize our work better and don’t stand in front of a huge pile of work when a new release is due and we only have a few days left to translate the new or changed phrases.

Cheers,
      Jan
        This message has been ROT-13 encrypted twice for higher security.
      • I agree with Jan: No need for excuses! smiley

The newsletter for translators would be really welcome;

I’d really enjoy the special forum thread: it could help to solve technical issues and also to release a better and more fluent translation.

We made something similar for the Italian translation, but we are not so many users and an international comparison would be really useful.

Cheers,
        Alessandro
          TilliLab | MODX Ambassador
          website
          • 964 Posts
          The Git stuff mentioned by Jan is great, this will help us and also
          we would not need to attach translations to a ticket and thus make
          more work for you guys...

I personally do not go the Git route because I am afraid I could wipe
          the main branch off the face of the earth!!

I would really be just happy with an email notification that some translation
          has to be done.

An attachment with the files with needed translation, generated maybe via WinMerge
          will help a lot!!
            MODX Revo Tutorials:  www.modxperience.com

MODX Professional Partner
            • 181 Posts
            enigmatic_user Reply #25, 13 years ago
            Quote from: charliez at Apr 12, 2011, 06:07 PM

I personally do not go the Git route because I am afraid I could wipe
            the main branch off the face of the earth!!
            I was a little reluctant at first, too, as I hadn’t used Git before (personally, I’m using Mercurial, and before that SVN). But you’re not able to modify the original code yourself - you create a fork of the project and maintain your fork only. When you’re done, you ask the MODX maintainers to merge your modifications into the project by sending a pull request - that’s all.

Cheers,
            Jan
              • 964 Posts
              Thanks Jan, I’ll try it!
                MODX Revo Tutorials:  www.modxperience.com

MODX Professional Partner
              • Hi,
                I see that RC4 has been released,
                it seems it has few changes from RC3, only about user.inc.php, is it right?

Alessandro
                  website
                  • 181 Posts
                  Quote from: pandro at May 02, 2011, 07:21 AM

I see that RC4 has been released,
                  it seems it has few changes from RC3, only about user.inc.php, is it right?
                  I had to add two new phrases in the user.inc.php and to change one phrase in the resource.inc.php ($_lang['resource_change_template_confirm']). Maybe you already changed that one before.

Cheers,
                  Jan [ed. note: enigmatic_user last edited this post 12 years, 6 months ago.]
                  • Hello Everyone,

As some of you may know, we released an RC4 late Friday (US Central Time) and this RC included a number of changes to the Lexicon and this is in large part the reason for another RC. We want to make sure you have time to get the language updates done on or before May 9, 2011.

Please changed/added lexicon entries in 2.1-RC4:
                    As previously discussed, we’ll be hoping to improve the communication with our Translation Leads in the coming weeks. Hopefully we will be able to keep you more informed and make it easier for you to do updates to lexicon files. Suggestions are always welcome.

Thanks,

Jay
                      Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
                    • Hi,
                      may be there are some little changes from 2.1 to 2.1.1?

website