We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 222 Posts
    Quote from: carlotto at Oct 30, 2006, 01:37 PM

Viewing sitemap while logged on as manager does not work

This one is an issue with gss.xsl not the XML produced by SiteMap. I can’t support it. Notice, I only suggest to use it to make it easier. I really would like to help you with this issue, but I can’t afford it in my spare time as it is beyond the scope of the snippet.

You may always look at the source. It’s well-fromatted so reading it should not pose a problem. If you’d like to get rid of the XSL call then edit the snippet and in line 143 (for version 1.0.2) remove this code:
    <?php // PHP tags added only to swith on the code higlighting
    '<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="sitemap.xsl"?>'."\n".
    ?>

Quote from: carlotto
    Adding the [*content*] to my own "empty" template did it for CSS files, thanks for that tip! I didn’t realise I had to have [*content*] there, I first simply made a (totally) empty template, then made a CSS file based on that.

[*content*] is a placeholder for the document content. If there’s not one there, MODx can’t output it smiley

Quote from: carlotto
    With the new "empty" template I can at least get rid of the sitemap listing for all the CSS files and the Javascript file - remaining now is only the sitemap.xml and sitemap.xsl.

Do I understand you correctly (English will always be a foreign language to me): you still can’t exclude those two document from the listing?
      This is the web: the only thing you know about who will come is that you don't know who will come.
      • 34 Posts
      Hi!
      Yes that’s right. The XML and the XSL file didn’t want to be based on my "empty" template, I could only make them work (together) if based on the (blank) template. And since I can’t put in the TV for sitemap exclusion in the (blank) template - they do show up.

It’s possible that the sitemap.xml work if based on a custom "empty" template - but I could not get the XSL file to work so since I can’t check easily if the sitemap.xml is correct. So I just chose to accept both visible. After all - if Google are told in the sitemap that there’s a sitemap and a style sheet, it probably doesn’t matter much.

I could of course have written an XSL file from scratch but I didn’t want to spend too much time right now on learning about that. I’ll probably do that once I start to use MODx for more sites (just testing on one site for now).

Thanks for the tip regards the line 143 removal - but I’ll leave it in there for now. I quite like to see the nicely formatted stylesheet. My other sites have no XSL so they come up more "crude" in a browser.

Good work you put in there - I’ve been updating all my other sitemaps manually but this is so much better!
        • 222 Posts
        Quote from: carlotto at Oct 31, 2006, 11:20 PM

Yes that’s right. The XML and the XSL file didn’t want to be based on my "empty" template, I could only make them work (together) if based on the (blank) template. And since I can’t put in the TV for sitemap exclusion in the (blank) template - they do show up.

It’s possible that the sitemap.xml work if based on a custom "empty" template - but I could not get the XSL file to work so since I can’t check easily if the sitemap.xml is correct.

That’s quite strange. I don’t see a reason why they wouldn’t work with a custom empty template. Have you tried redoing them from scratch with your custom template (I ask just in case as you probably have)?

Good work you put in there - I’ve been updating all my other sitemaps manually but this is so much better!

Thanks, it’s nice to hear that smiley

If you do maintain other sitemaps you should probably check GSiteCrawler. It might be of help.
          This is the web: the only thing you know about who will come is that you don't know who will come.
          • 136 Posts
          Quote from: grad at Oct 24, 2006, 08:45 PM

Quote from: arphaus at Oct 23, 2006, 04:21 PM

the repository makes no sense to me - it doesn’t say anything about what to do in terms of a step-by-step process.  i’m not a programmer, by any definition.
          You don’t need to be a programmer to use it. It is just a snippet which means you need to call it from within a document to make it generate any output. However, you’re right there is no step-by-step procedure. Thus I plan to make one and publish it in MODx wiki once I get some spare time.

Anyway here is the shortest possible how-to:

1) Create a document in the root level of the document tree, use a blank template, set the content type to ’txt/xml’ and alias to ’sitemap.xml’.

2) In the document content field call the snippet:
           [[sitemap? &format=`sp`]] 

3) Log in to your Google sitemaps account and register your new sitemap file.

You can examine it at http://yourdomain.com/sitemap.xml. If you want to get a readable output, you have to get an XSL stylesheet as described in the repository entry. Once you downloaded it, simply duplicate your ’sitemap.xml’ and paste the contents of the XSL into it. Then change the document alias to ’sitemap.xsl’ and save. Now, you should be able to see it better smiley

The sitemap you created includes each and every document from your site. This is not necessarily what you would want. To exclude documents from it follow instructions from the repository entry.

I hope this will help you to get started.

I think the user meant you have no instructions on how to make the snippet, and what to call it. I assume that you have to copy and paste the downloded file into a new snippet called sitemap.

I could not find this anywhere in the docs, seems easy to most modx users but not newbies.

I made my first site with modx
            ------------------------
            http://www.shop-bright.com | Uk shopping blog
            • 222 Posts
            SiteMap is rather aimed at more advanced users -- a newbie will certainly have to deal with at least one more ’basic’ snippet -- so there are great chances he/she will already know what to do with snippet code. Most of snippets have instructions on how to install them, however, I did not include them because I assumed some level of user familiarity with MODx.

I think I saw instructions on how to install snippets somewhere in the in MODx documentation. However, I may be wrong. If you think so, you can always post a request in MODx wiki Wanted Pages.
              • 136 Posts
              I am a new user and I did figure it out, but would be better to always show how to install in the place where you download the file, or at least that’s what I think.
                ------------------------
                • 222 Posts
                Microsoft, Google, Yahoo! Unite to Support Sitemaps

Today, we are excited to announce that Google, Microsoft and Yahoo! are coming together in support of the SiteMaps protocol. The goal of this effort is to improve search results for customers around the world. This protocol enables site owners everywhere to tell search engines about the content on their site instead of having to rely solely on crawl algorithms to find it.

Seems like a good news smiley

Read the news. For more information on sitemaps visit http://www.sitemaps.org
                • Thanks for linking that here... should make for much easier sitemaps generation and looks like we now know what the defacto standard will be. smiley

Looks like we need another core snippet, too. wink
                    Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                    Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                    • 136 Posts
                    I wonder how you would implement the other sitemaps then? Would it autodiscover it, or would you have to sign up to something like with Google?

------------------------
                    • You’d sign up at each respective Search Engine, just like at Google.
                        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me