We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 573 Posts
    Hi,

i really want to get friendly urls working, i know there are lots of posts about it already but none seem to explain very well the steps which need to be taken.

i have done this:

- set Use friendly URLs to yes
    - set Suffix for friendly URLs to .html
    - set Use friendly aliases to yes
    - set (on what i hope to be login.html) Document’s alias as login

i am unable to name the file .htaccess! is this normal?

what am i doing wrong?

many thanks,
    G

• 1,097 Posts
      What happens when you try to name the file .htaccess?
        No, I don't know what OpenGeek's saying half the time either.
        MODx Documentation: The Wiki | My Wiki contributions | Main MODx Documentation
        Forum: Where to post threads about add-ons | Forum Rules
        Like MODx? donate (and/or share your resources)
        Like me? See my Amazon wishlist
        MODx "Most Promising CMS" - so appropriate!
        • 573 Posts
        its says you must type a file name! i might be being stupid here when we say .htaccess you do put the . in?
          • 4,213 Posts
          If that error comes with notepad when you’re trying to save it, type ".htaccess" as filename, including quotes.

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
            • 573 Posts
            cool thanks that worked grin m FURLS are still not however.. somthing is working because my menu links are created correctly.. but when you click on them I get a Not Found error.

any ideas?

g.
              • 573 Posts
              no one able to help undecided ? this is a show stopper for me if i cant get it to work.
                • 7,075 Posts
                Are you testing local ? (if not, you’ll have to ask your hosting service if they support mod_rewrite... or if they require specific settings -> some host do require a little tweaking, like OVH in france which runs a proprietary mod called mod_ort instead of mod_rewrite)

If so, check that Apache’s mod_rewrite module is properly loaded...you might have to edit your Apache settings in httpd.conf :

i.e make sure the line

LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so

is not commented

Once you’ve edited the file, don’t forget to restart Apache.
                That should do the trick smiley
                  .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
                  • 573 Posts
                  Hi, thanks for getting back to me grin

yes i am testing locally. i have uncommented the rewrite_module and it shows up as loaded in my info.php, but still no luck undecided
                    • 1,097 Posts
                    Can you please paste the full URL of the page that works (presumably index.php) and the full URL of the linked page that 404s.

What software are you using for the local webserver? Have you looked at the .htaccess tips for that?
                      No, I don't know what OpenGeek's saying half the time either.
                      MODx Documentation: The Wiki | My Wiki contributions | Main MODx Documentation
                      Forum: Where to post threads about add-ons | Forum Rules
                      Like MODx? donate (and/or share your resources)
                      Like me? See my Amazon wishlist
                      MODx "Most Promising CMS" - so appropriate!
                      • 573 Posts
                      Hi,

i am using Apache 2.0.58 and PHP Version 5.1.4, modx sits at the root.. so my main page is simply http://localhost and i am trying to acesss http://localhost/login.html but i get 404 saying The requested URL /login.html was not found on this server.

g.

This discussion is closed to further replies. Keep calm and carry on.