We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 13 Posts
    Yes that what I have at the moment, one in the root directory and another in the manager directory.

They both have the content,

session.save_path = /home/cremefre/public_html/assets/sessions/
    session.gc_maxlifetime = 28800

I still can’t login though, I did try adding safe_mode = off doesn’t make a difference.

I’m with Crazy Domains

I have been searching through the link that BobRay posted and made some changes to the ht.access file according to this page
    http://rtfm.modx.com//display/MODx096/Friendly+URL+Solutions

I even tried changing the ht.access file to .htaccess, but it just results in an Internal 500 error.
    • Don’t enable the ht.access file unless you have it properly configured. If you changed it to .htaccess and you got a 500 error, that’s actually a GOOD thing because it means your host is processing the .htaccess files.

I would check with your host -- see if they have FAQ or other docs for enabling PHP sessions. It could be as simple as opening up permissions on the directory that you are using to store the session data.
        • 13 Posts
        Hi I’m pretty sure the permissions are okay. I have access to change the permissions on any file within my hosting. At the moment the sessions folder is set to 0755. I just checked the folder and there is an empty sessions file in there.

sess_c658f99cf98fe574b2666a384d708068

If I can’t login though, how can a session be created?
        • I would try making the permissions 777 for now. Who is the owner and group of the file? You may need to change the owner.

You normally create a session by using the $_SESSION array, just as you tested before -- PHP handles the rest.
            • 24,544 Posts
            Quote from: Everett at Aug 30, 2010, 08:37 AM

I would try making the permissions 777 for now. Who is the owner and group of the file? You may need to change the owner.

You normally create a session by using the $_SESSION array, just as you tested before -- PHP handles the rest.

755 would be correct if the host is using suPHP or suExec, so check on that first, otherwise the ownership changes won’t help.
              Did I help you? Buy me a beer
              Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
              MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
              My MODX Extras
              Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
              • 13 Posts
              I sent an email an email to my hosting service about whether or not they use suPHP or suExec but haven’t heard a reply. I did try changing the permissions of the file to 755 and 777 but it doesn’t make a difference, I still have the problem where the manager resets when I try to login.

Is there anything else I could try?
              • Until you are able to pass the $_SESSION test I outline above, you will not be able to login. I would change hosts... it sounds radical, but man... I’ve wasted so much time trying to make certain hosts work. I recommend Bluehost.com for a full-featured shared-hosting environment with 24-7 support. I’m not affiliated with them, I’ve just been happy with their service.
                  • 24,544 Posts
                  Quote from: Everett at Sep 01, 2010, 04:08 AM

Until you are able to pass the $_SESSION test I outline above, you will not be able to login. I would change hosts... it sounds radical, but man... I’ve wasted so much time trying to make certain hosts work. I recommend Bluehost.com for a full-featured shared-hosting environment with 24-7 support.
                  And a spiffy, foolproof auto-install and update of MODx via SimpleScripts for both Evolution and Revolution.
                    Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                    Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                    MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                    My MODX Extras
                    Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                  • True that. SimpleScripts is really a time-saver. Holy cow. Yes. Yes. yes.
                      • 13 Posts
                      No worries, I guess i’ll start on the mission to get my refund, cheers for all your help guys, really appreciate your time.