We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 21 Posts
    Quote from: OpenGeek at Jun 21, 2007, 02:17 PM

You must set the option to clear the cache in NewsPublisher, and then you will need to load another request (which picks up the updated siteCache containing the updated map of document aliases) in order to see the proper URL from the makeUrl() function. The new URL is not available until the siteCache is reloaded...

<beg>I have the exact same problem as tommyt - but I am a bare bones newb on MODx so this response is about 10,000 feet over my head. Could I please get a private message with very specific instructions (with code) on what to do to resolve this as it is a huge issue for me - most of my site will be published articles and blog entries.

Please help! Thanks much! huh </end beg>
      • 24,544 Posts
      Quote from: oldwebdude at May 05, 2009, 05:59 PM

Quote from: OpenGeek at Jun 21, 2007, 02:17 PM

You must set the option to clear the cache in NewsPublisher, and then you will need to load another request (which picks up the updated siteCache containing the updated map of document aliases) in order to see the proper URL from the makeUrl() function. The new URL is not available until the siteCache is reloaded...

<beg>I have the exact same problem as tommyt - but I am a bare bones newb on MODx so this response is about 10,000 feet over my head. Could I please get a private message with very specific instructions (with code) on what to do to resolve this as it is a huge issue for me - most of my site will be published articles and blog entries.

Please help! Thanks much! huh </end beg>

In your call to NewsPublisher, add
      &clearcache=`1` 
      to the snippet call (note that those are back-ticks, not quotes around the 1 -- the back-tick is usually on the ~ key). If that’s still going over your head, paste the NewsPublisher snippet call into a message here and I’ll fix it for you.
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 21 Posts
        Quote from: BobRay at May 05, 2009, 06:19 PM

In your call to NewsPublisher, add
        &clearcache=`1` 
        to the snippet call (note that those are back-ticks, not quotes around the 1 -- the back-tick is usually on the ~ key).  If that’s still going over your head, paste the NewsPublisher snippet call into a message here and I’ll fix it for you.

@BobRay

Thanks much BobRay that solved it - I still get 404 but at least on refresh to Blog page the posts now show up and resolve to a search friendly HTML page.

One thing tho - the new full posts are not appearing within the proper site template (default one MODxHost), when you click on "read more..." or on the short link listing under "News" in the right-hand column -- the full blog post appears under a simple blog template (not MODxHostWithComments).

I’m assuming (yah I know what that does wink ) that perhaps because NewsPublisher is using &formtpl=`FormBlog` this is the problem?... I’m looking to use MODxHostWithComments - any idea what the &formtpl=`chunkname` should be for that template if that indeed will solve the problem?

My current snippet with your solution added:
        [!NewsPublisher? &folder=`2` &canpost=`Site Admins` &formtpl=`FormBlog` &footertpl=`Comments` &makefolder=`1` &rtcontent=`tvblogContent` &clearcache=`1`!]

And thanks a million (wish I had it to give you) for the help! laugh

PS - any advice on how to conveniently at least "hide" the 404 from clients on new blog post submit would be great - it works - just not friendly to client editors when they see the 404.
        - owd
          • 24,544 Posts
          Try this:

&template=`name_of_template_to_use`
            My MODX Extras
            • 21 Posts
            @BobRay

That did it BobRay! udahman!

Now if I can just figure out how: i) to get documentTags showing up as a form element to add tags to new blog posts; and ii) documentTags to show up under post listings in News; and iii) how to get NewsPublisher to auto add my chunk call {{Bookmarks}} like it auto calls/renders out {{Comments}} in the resulting blog post page...

:D (just a few things - LOL)

Should probably post those up in another thread (apologies)

- owd
              • 24,544 Posts
              Glad it worked for you. smiley

As you say, the other questions should probably go in a different thread.
                My MODX Extras
                • 299 Posts
                Have spent greater portions of my time working on this than I would like to admit. Your help is greatly appreciated.

My site is set up at subsite.mydomain.com and works perfect without FURLs turned on. From there is goes screwy. I have tried everything with my .htaccess file from giving the entire directory information (home/sites/www.mydomain.com/site/public_html etc) to the basic almost raw file and get nothing but error 400 pages. At one point, and to my excitement, I got an error 404 which even brought up my custom error 404 page. Another attempt appended my home directory information over and over in the address. I have tested in IE, FF and SF with no change in the results.

My current .htaccess from the directory where my subdomain points (which is the same as where MODx is installed) is:
                RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
                RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?q=$1 [L,QSA]

My current .htaccess from the manager folder is:
                RewriteEngine On
                RewriteBase /
                RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
                RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
                RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?q=$1 [L,QSA]

My FURL options are set as:
                Use friendly URLs: Yes
                Prefix for friendly URLs: info.php?q=
                Suffix for friendly URLs: .html
                Use friendly aliases: Yes
                Use friendly alias path: No (I have tried both)
                Allow duplicate aliases: Yes
                Automatically generate alias: Yes

I am already a month behind schedule on launching this site and must get it up soon! Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance...
                  • 2,877 Posts
                  If your site is www.mydomain.com/site you need to
                  add this to RewriteBase /site

http://wiki.modxcms.com/index.php/Friendly_URLs_Guide
                    @hawproductions | http://mrhaw.com/

Infograph: MODX Advanced Install in 7 steps:
                    http://forums.modx.com/thread/96954/infograph-modx-advanced-install-in-7-steps

Recap: Portland, OR (PDX) MODX CMS Meetup, Oct 6, 2015. US Bancorp Tower
                    http://mrhaw.com/modx_portland_oregon_pdx_modx_cms_meetup_oct_2015_us_bancorp_tower
                    • 299 Posts
                    Even if this is a true subdomain accessed via subdomain.mydomain.com?
                      • 299 Posts
                      Quote from: mrhaw at May 13, 2009, 04:58 PM

If your site is www.mydomain.com/site you need to
                      add this to RewriteBase /site

http://wiki.modxcms.com/index.php/Friendly_URLs_Guide

Tried that and am still getting error 400. Do I need to touch the RewriteRule?

Okay something else. I typed in one of the address mysite.com/subdomain/info_page_63.html and the page come up. However, all of my links are directed at subdomain.mydomain.com.info_page_63.html. I need visitors to browse under the subdomain (subdomain.mysite.com rather than mysite.com/subdomain). Make sense? Have any solutions?

This discussion is closed to further replies. Keep calm and carry on.