We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • I forgot to mention that I’ve done a Revo’s Permission Cheatsheet a while ago.

Perhaps that also helps others for understanding this complicated permission system. undecided
      Rico
      Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration. Thomas A. Edison
      MODx is great, but knowing how to use it well makes it perfect!

www.virtudraft.com

Security, security, security! | Indonesian MODx Forum | MODx Revo's cheatsheets | MODx Evo's cheatsheets

Author of Easy 2 Gallery 1.4.x, PHPTidy, spieFeed, FileDownload R, Upload To Users CMP, Inherit Template TV, LexRating, ExerPlan, Lingua, virtuNewsletter, Grid Class Key, SmartTag, prevNext

Maintainter/contributor of Babel

Because it's hard to follow all topics on the forum, PING ME ON TWITTER @_goldsky if you need my help.
    • Thanks smiley It might help people get this more clear indeed.
        Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
        • 283 Posts
        thanks for this contrib
        Sounds rather complex, more than in evo. lipsrsealed
          [url=http://www.savepoint.fr/index.php?id=38] -petits tuyaux pour les d
          • 44 Posts
          please, see here for an advanced problem

http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,54845.0.html
            • 54 Posts
            Apologies if I’ve missed something, but I’ve followed the page at http://rtfm.modx.com/display/revolution20/Making+Member-Only+Pages#MakingMember-OnlyPages-6.Adduserstotheusergroup

and I can’t see how someone actually logs into the web end of the website? If they log into the /manager screen they get denied (as expected), but there isn’t any other way for someone to log in.... huh
              • 659 Posts
              Hello

@Markvr : To log in via Front-end you should have a login page with a Login snippet in it (Login add-on is available for Revolution, and all its complementary snippets like Register, ForgotPassword etc...)

By following the tutorial you’re able to set the permissions for users depending on the context they should have access (mgr or web by default, but you can create as many contexts you want/need).

Hope this helps, feel free to ask if you need more info
              Cheers
                • 107 Posts
                This was a huge help but I had to take a peek at Bob’s guide to get it actually working.

I have a question. I’d like to be able to show ALL resources in the front end but have only some pages accessible once the user clicks on a page. I’d like them to be redirected to a login/signup page. How is this done?

Thanks,
                Crawford
                  Crawford Paul

Bridgecourt Web Design - Proudly using ModX CMS
                  Serving Welland, Niagara, Ontario, Canada and the world!
                  http://www.bridgecourt.com
                • Now THIS will help me!

Great tutorial, I always wanted to have some details like these for Revolution.

----
                    Daniel Melo
                    • 620 Posts
                    I’ve cross posted this, can;t seem to get any help with the issue in the general forum.

I’ve been working on this for over 6 hours now and have made no headway...
                    - I’ve read all the docs & followed all the walkthroughs.
                    - I’ve upgraded to the most recent version

here is the original post - can anyone tell me what I’m missing??
                    Hi;

I am trying to set up a manager user role for a blog editor, basically a manager user that can only log in and add/edit/delete blog postings. So far I think I have most things setup correctly but when the blogeditor user logs in they cannot see the document tree.

- To begin with I followed this guide here: http://bobsguides.com/revolution-permissions.html went through the process about 3 times.
                    - I did create resource groups & associate them to the editor role for the blog articles, with or without groups, the blogeditor cannot see anything
                    - I’ve tried flushing caches, sessions, etc...
                    - I even looked for that udperms_allow root variable and set it to yes.

So everything appears to be working correctly up to a point, the editor can log in and all the ACL permissions I assigned [or revoked] are correct - the resource tree is just completely blank [no resources, elements or files]
                    I’m thinking it must have something to do with the resource group assignment? [yes - I did move all the associated documents into the appropriate resource group]

The only clues are 2 odd errors:
                    - when trying to clear the cache as an editor:
                    Principal 4 does not have permission to load object of class modContext with primary key: web

- if I try to create a new document as an editor:
                    Error!

context_err_nf

Also, when I create the blog post resource group and assign it to the editor role, all the blog entries ALSO disappear from the administrator resource tree/browser.

- any thoughts??
                    - thanks
                    - sean

PS> While I am on the subject - is there a way to automatically assign new documents from a given template to a specific resource group? i.e. when the editor user logs in and creates a new blog posting, I want that document to be automatically in the blog resource group [or will it inherit that from the user who created it?]

*** Not just websites, we also create signage, banners, print, trade show displays and more! ***

Sean Kimball CLP, CLS.
                      Technical Director / Sr. Developer | BigBlock Studios
                      ._______________________________________________.
                      Bigblock Studios http://www.bigblockstudios.ca Web site design & development.
                      27-1300 King Street East. Box 167 Oshawa, Ontario L1H8J4 Canada.
                      phone/fax: 905-426-5525
                      • 24,544 Posts
                      In addition to the ’mgr’ access, you need to give that user group a Context Access ACL entry with a context of ’web’ so they can see the resources in that context in the Manager.

You can create a plugin to assign new resources to a particular group or groups.
                      I’m typing on a horrible notebook keyboard right now or I’d give an example.
                        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                        My MODX Extras
                        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting