We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,098 Posts
    I think you have overused css3 rules, I have a new computer with 8GB ram etc etc and with FF4 the website is very slow. I can’t even scroll the page smoothly.

About the brower war, read this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13639875
      • 284 Posts
      Quote from: microcipcip at Jun 05, 2011, 01:06 AM

I think you have overused css3 rules, I have a new computer with 8GB ram etc etc and with FF4 the website is very slow. I can’t even scroll the page smoothly.

Then it’s about a FF plugin. Page is fast, PageSpeed gives 74/100points and it’s loaded in 1.18s in Chrome for me.
      I even don’t see too much CSS3 rules in style.css here.
        MODX Free Template Base: MODX-Boilerplate | my blog (lots of MODX stuff) | my gitHub (translations) | MODX User Groups Germany (Facebook)
        • 150 Posts
        BTW Allan, is it possible the Search box would get more exposure as the top item in the column? It wouldn’t push the other elements down too much, but it would make it that much more visible for the users that are looking for the lifeline, and bring it above the fold on smaller screens.

All in all, nice job.
          "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein
          • 1,098 Posts
          Quote from: novolo at Jun 05, 2011, 03:06 AM

Then it’s about a FF plugin. Page is fast, PageSpeed gives 74/100points and it’s loaded in 1.18s in Chrome for me.
          I even don’t see too much CSS3 rules in style.css here.

The page load fast, but I can’t scroll the page smoothly. I don’t know why, probably is css3 or javascript. I have tried to disable plugins/addons but it doesn’t change.
            • 312 Posts
            @goonz

The sidebar with the Search is only demo from the original template.

I am looking for ideas of what to incorporate in this section.

I AM REALLY LOOKING for IDEAS TO IMPROVE THIS TEMPLATE FOR THE USE OF THE COMMUNITY

Do you feel it is worthwhile as a template/starting install for the EXTRA’S section or not
              DEVELOPMENT ENV:- Ubuntu 12.04 | MODx Revolution 2.2.8 | LAMP 2i Apache 2.2.22 | Php 5.3.10 | Mysql 5.5.31 MySQL client version: 5.5.31
              • 284 Posts
              Quote from: allanb at Jun 05, 2011, 10:43 AM

Do you feel it is worthwhile as a template/starting install for the EXTRA’S section or not
              From a Technical Point of View i’d say Yes. Personalia i’m Not convinced about the Design but that’s just my opinion. So i think it’s worth.
                MODX Free Template Base: MODX-Boilerplate | my blog (lots of MODX stuff) | my gitHub (translations) | MODX User Groups Germany (Facebook)
                • 390 Posts
                Obviously just my opinion, and I may be a little less crabby once I get 2.1.1 working properly....

Dude - if you want people to jump up and down and clap you’re in the wrong forum.

The original template that you are converting appears to have some flaws, which is the feedback you are getting. It’s not the feedback you want, but hey, them’s the breaks.

Most of the folk who contribute on the forums will be using MODX for much more than a blog, so are perhaps a little bit ’meh’ about a blog-specific template. There is no doubt, however, that some variations on the one supplied in the MODX sample site would be useful, but you need to consider the specifics of that Extra (working off the same resource ids, extras, template variable names etc).

That said, one of the joys of MODX is that anyone can contribute an Extra - so do it.
                  Writer > E-consultant > MODx developer || Salesforce || modx 2.x || PHP 5.2.13 || MySQL client 5.0.86
                  • 312 Posts
                  @novolo
                  Thanks for your reply

@odeclas
                  Thank you also for your reply.(Sorry to hear you are having problems with 2.1.1)

I was not expecting people to ’jump up and down and clap’

If the original template has flaws I would like to know more specifics!

Would it help to set up a site with the original code?

I hear what you say about a BLOG SITE. I am just trying to help those who don’t know where to start. There seemed a need maybe I’m wrong.

I do not see any good in just adding an EXTRA that would not help or be acceptable to the community in general as I am trying to help MODX to grow.

If anyone knows a more suitable free HTML5 BLOG templates to convert I am open to suggestions
                    DEVELOPMENT ENV:- Ubuntu 12.04 | MODx Revolution 2.2.8 | LAMP 2i Apache 2.2.22 | Php 5.3.10 | Mysql 5.5.31 MySQL client version: 5.5.31
                    • 1,098 Posts
                    I think it would be a better idea to use a template with a standard layout, something like this: http://www.planetphotoshop.com/ or like this http://mashable.com

The template should be nice but also as simple as possible, otherwise it is hard to modify.

1. On the left (home page) a featured article plus latest articles (each one with tags, author, publish date, number of comments on it, share buttons) and the pagination on the bottom.
                    2. On the right categories or archives, top comments, latest comments, most viewed articles, ajax twitter widget (kind of) and a free squared space for adverts.
                    3. The article page shoud have share buttons, tags, publish buttons, comments, related post, etc.

I’d like to design the template but I don’t know html5 yet, is that a requirement?
                      • 284 Posts
                      Quote from: microcipcip at Jun 05, 2011, 07:39 PM

I’d like to design the template but I don’t know html5 yet, is that a requirement?
                      Absolutely not. In this case there aren’t many html5 elements used. You can do without knowing html5. Most of the things are the same for html4 or xhtml