We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • ganeshXL are you saying you have a phpBB forum integration done? And if so is it version 3.x?
      Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
      Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
      • 956 Posts

Yes, although it’s not a 100% integration in both directions, i.e. not MODx <--> phpBB, but rather phpBB -> MODx.
      I decided only one app shall handle user-authentication (signup, login), not both. Otherwise you’re in a world of pain, with core-hacks all over the place.

You can include this in your MODx-templates as a snippet:

<?
      // http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/phpbb3-sessions-integration/
      define('IN_PHPBB', true);
      $phpbb_root_path = (defined('PHPBB_ROOT_PATH')) ? PHPBB_ROOT_PATH : './';
      $phpEx = substr(strrchr(__FILE__, '.'), 1);
      include($phpbb_root_path . 'common.' . $phpEx);

// Start session management
      $user->session_begin();
      $auth->acl($user->data);
      $user->setup();
      ?>

In your phpBB installation, include this hack in includes/functions_user.php:
      (approx. at line 179)

@dl("php_curl.dll"); // only necessary on Windows
      $ch = curl_init();

$modxUserData = array(	'email'				=> $sql_ary['user_email'],
      						'username'			=> $sql_ary['username'],
      						'fullname'			=> $sql_ary['username_clean'],
      						'password'			=> $sql_ary['user_password'],
      						'confirmpassword'	=> $sql_ary['user_password'],
      						'cmdwebsignup'		=> 'Submit'
      );

$postVars = http_build_query($modxUserData);

curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL, "http://localhost/modx-0962/index.php?id=53"); // URL of websignup form
      curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POST, 1);
      curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS, $postVars);
      curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_FAILONERROR, 1);
      curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION, 0);
      curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_TIMEOUT, 3);
      curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1);
      $curlResult=curl_exec($ch);
      curl_close($ch);

This will simply create a modx-user at the same time as phpbb.

I only did this as a "proof of concept" over the weekend. I used the last stable versions of both apps (0.9.6.2 + 3.0.2). For a live-site you would have to deal with functions such as "send password reminder" or "change profile information" too, i.e. mirror those changes in modx, so that both apps are up-to-date.

Of course, if you wanted to automatically create a forum user whenever someone registers via modx, it would mean a lot of additional work. But I frankly don’t see why you would use two separate user-databases. Especially if you start adding custom user-profile fields in the forum and want to replicate these inside modx.
      • I agree with keeping all the user management functions in one place and applaud your effort. Well done!
          Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
          Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • Hi ganesh, would you be able to clarify if this works with those 2 pieces of code? Here’s what I done and I don’t see it working.

I made a snippet called phpInclude and put the following in the snippet.

<?
          // http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/phpbb3-sessions-integration/
          define('IN_PHPBB', true);
          $phpbb_root_path = (defined('PHPBB_ROOT_PATH')) ? PHPBB_ROOT_PATH : './';
          $phpEx = substr(strrchr(__FILE__, '.'), 1);
          include($phpbb_root_path . 'common.' . $phpEx);

// Start session management
          $user->session_begin();
          $auth->acl($user->data);
          $user->setup();
          ?>

I then installed a fresh 3.02 phpBB forum to /forum/ and opened up the includes/functions_user.php file.

At line 179 I have;

@dl("php_curl.dll"); // only necessary on Windows
          $ch = curl_init();

$modxUserData = array(	'email'				=> $sql_ary['user_email'],
          						'username'			=> $sql_ary['username'],
          						'fullname'			=> $sql_ary['username_clean'],
          						'password'			=> $sql_ary['user_password'],
          						'confirmpassword'	=> $sql_ary['user_password'],
          						'cmdwebsignup'		=> 'Submit'
          );

$postVars = http_build_query($modxUserData);

curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL, "http://mysite/register"); // URL of websignup form
          curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POST, 1);
          curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS, $postVars);
          curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_FAILONERROR, 1);
          curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION, 0);
          curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_TIMEOUT, 3);
          curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1);
          $curlResult=curl_exec($ch);
          curl_close($ch);

// LINE 179 starts here -  These are the additional vars able to be specified
          	$additional_vars = array(
          		'user_permissions'	=> '',
          		'user_timezone'		=> $config['board_timezone'],
          		'user_dateformat'	=> $config['default_dateformat'],

I put the phpInclude snippet in the content box of my register page only, is this the correct setup? Thanks.
            Ross Sivills - MD AugmentBLU Edinburgh, Scotland UK
            AugmentBLU - MODX Partner

BLUcart - MODX Revolution E-Commerce & Shopping Cart
            • 956 Posts
            You probably have a websignup form that waits for captcha form-vars; hence your posts are not being accepted. there’s a parameter you can simply change, like &useCaptcha=`0` (too lazy to look it up now).

// verify form code
                if($useCaptcha && $_SESSION['veriword']!=$formcode) {
                    $output = webLoginAlert("Incorrect form code. Please enter the correct code displayed by the image.").$tpl;
                    return;
                }

Also, for security’s sake, you should define one or two extra (bogus) vars in the websignup form, and send these only via the forum-signup process.
            If someone finds your modx-websignup form by accident - a bot or malicious hacker; easy enough if you just check all index.php?id=1-999 URLs - and tries to register via original modx-weblogin page, you should have a method in place to stop this person. Either that or redirect to your phpBB register-page.

Hence, you could just add one dummy post-var in websignup.inc.php:

$origin = $modx->db->escape($modx->stripTags($_POST['originOfRequest']));
            if(!$origin || $origin != "phpBBRegisterPage") {
                    $output = webLoginAlert("Please use the forum registration page for new signups. Thanks.").$tpl;
            return;
            }

and add one more matching CURL-var here:

$modxUserData = array(	
            	'email'	=> $sql_ary['user_email'],
            	'username' => $sql_ary['username'],
            	'fullname' => $sql_ary['username_clean'],
            	'originOfRequest' => 'phpBBRegisterPage', // <-- here
            	'password' => $sql_ary['user_password'],
            	'confirmpassword' => $sql_ary['user_password'],
            	'cmdwebsignup' => 'Submit'
            );
              • 884 Posts
              will it also handles the login. ie if a user is logged in to modx he don’t need to login again to phpBB?

This is one addition I’ve been waiting for ages. thanks so much. may I know if you are you planning on improving it or is it going to stay in the proof of concept area?
                • 956 Posts
                I don’t think so. I’m lacking motivation, frankly speaking. It feels a bit like reinventing the wheel. There’s many CMS out there with fully integrated forums out of the box, so why waste time and effort?
                  • 2,877 Posts
                  Master! Don’t leave us!!  wink

We will work out and make you proud!!  laugh

Lol! You should make this and then sell it ...cheap!  grin
                    @hawproductions | http://mrhaw.com/

Infograph: MODX Advanced Install in 7 steps:
                    http://forums.modx.com/thread/96954/infograph-modx-advanced-install-in-7-steps

Recap: Portland, OR (PDX) MODX CMS Meetup, Oct 6, 2015. US Bancorp Tower
                    http://mrhaw.com/modx_portland_oregon_pdx_modx_cms_meetup_oct_2015_us_bancorp_tower
                  • There’s many CMS out there with fully integrated forums out of the box, so why waste time and effort?

If everyone thought that way with MODx then MODx wouldn’t be here... I think the reason why myself and others want to have integration is because forums are an important part of any community and we don’t want 2 separate logins. We want to use MODx for the amazing features and unique features but use similar options that a lot of other CMS have.

Maybe some reverse psychology here might work... I don’t think anyone is capable of integrating a forum in to MODx simple LOL. In all seriousness, I think the addition of a integration for one set forum at least would be at a good start. Use the most stable release of modx and a stable forum release and use that a test bed.

I just don’t think anyone is able to integrate it and use the why bother reason! I’ve seen Ganesh getting phpbb to register a user with modx which was awesome but the password was wrong, it was passing the actual hashed key to the password field in modx. I know someone might do it for money which is fair enough, I can imagine that it’s hard to do but I would say that some of the things that have came out of this community that have all been free is a sign that large and difficult projects have been completed without the need for cash. I am one who would be willing to put in some cash to get a truely integrated forum, I just can’t fund thousands.

It’s on my Xmas list and was on the list last Xmas, modx and a forum integrated please Santa... he never brought me my wish and i’ve been a good boy for years. LOL
                      Ross Sivills - MD AugmentBLU Edinburgh, Scotland UK
                      AugmentBLU - MODX Partner

BLUcart - MODX Revolution E-Commerce & Shopping Cart
                      • 7,075 Posts
                      Nice to see there is some effort under way !
                      Might need this for modxcms.fr since I use phpBB3 for the board.

A quick way to perform SSO when the board system also has a module for it is openID

Check the modx snippet : http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php?topic=13979.0

And phpbbOpenID : http://phpbbopenid.com/

Might be a quick and dirty way to handle this, that is if you don’t expect any other feature than SSO.
                        .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l&#39;outil id