We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 145 Posts
    Gah! You’re right.

I forgot this was running on a different server to most of my other sites. Have spoken to the hosts to try to get them to shift to PHP5.

Thanks for your help.
      • 12 Posts
      Hi all!
      First of all - great job!
      just few little remarks:
      1. It doesnt work on PHP 5.0.4. Some of the errors are because of the type hinting, which for arrays are available from PHP 5.1. I fix these issues but after that I receive more errors, so I decide to update the PHP version. So just update the requirements.
      2. There is a strange symbol just in front of the first DIV tag which EasyPoll generates. In IE7 it is treated as a new line character and there is an additional padding on the top of the poll. In FF and Opera - no problems. I’m trying to review the source, and if I found the problem, I’ll post it later.

Regards!
        • 7,075 Posts
        Before I dig into this, does the EasyPoll module/snippet combo allow for multiple choices polls (e.g one can select several choices) ?
        It would seem not but I thought I’d ask...

While I am here, here is the french translation for the EasyPoll Module (quick one, if someone wants to give this a look).
          .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
          • 165 Posts
          Quote from: davidm at May 15, 2008, 09:41 AM

Before I dig into this, does the EasyPoll module/snippet combo allow for multiple choices polls (e.g one can select several choices) ?
          It would seem not but I thought I’d ask...

While I am here, here is the french translation for the EasyPoll Module (quick one, if someone wants to give this a look).
          Hi davidm

First of all, thanks for the translation! I’ll include it in the next release if you don’t mind.
          Currently, the module does not allow the selection of several choices. I’ll note it on my "wishes-list". May i ask you, why you’ll need several choices in one vote?
            • 7,075 Posts
            Well, it’s a feature I am used to in forums polls, you can sometimes need to vote for more than one option which means you have to be able to set how many options are allowed. For some questions, it can be useful.

Since we’re talking wishlist, I was looking for a sort order option but didn’t find one... it seems the sorting is based on start date, is it ?
            I am planning to use EasyPoll to do some questionnaires and it’s not really the same logic a Poll has. Let’s say I have 20 questions (I should say Polls since in EasyPolls a question is a Poll), it makes no sense in my case to start typing my questionnaire from the last to the first question so that it gets displayed on top tongue  Sure, I can tweak dates to make it happen but it’s not convenient...

The default sorting option makes sense if my Polls are "just" one question but not if I have multiples Qs.
            Does it make sense ? If I could choose the sort order, or sort by IDs it would be great grin

Edit : As a Ditto-maniac, I assumed that I could use the &pollid parameter with multiple values e.g &pollid=`2,3,5,9,10` but it doesn’t work I have to make multiple calls. Of course my case (questionnaire) might not be the average and I am not complaining (great snippet-module combo) but I thought I’d make this a feature request anyway.

About the translation file, no problem I’ll also provide a Latin1 encoded file since you have to french language file in MODx, one is francais.inc.php and the other francais-utf8.inc.php. But I’d like some frenchies to read it since I might have not made a "neutral" translation, I am influenced by the questionnaire approach I think tongue

MODx est l'outil id
              • 165 Posts
              Hi davidm

I guess i understand what you are trying to do. I had a similar request over in the "Development & Coding" Subforum. Somebody wanted to track votes per user to build some sort of questionnaire. Maybe i’ll integrate something like that into the polls module in the next release.
              A while ago (while i was developing the EasyPoll Module) i received a message from Ryan Thrash, that he has a almost complete Polls/Questionaire Application that needs only minor work to be released. I didn’t hear anything from him since then... maybe we should get back to it, because it sounded a lot like this could satisfy your needs.
              • One problem with the Poll snippet, if there’s not a poll available, you get a not-so-nice parser error:

MODx encountered the following error while attempting to parse the requested resource:
                « EasyPoll Snippet Error: No polls available »

It should probably gracefully die with a simple "No polls available at this time." message.
                  Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                  Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                  • 165 Posts
                  Quote from: rthrash at May 19, 2008, 02:04 AM

One problem with the Poll snippet, if there’s not a poll available, you get a not-so-nice parser error:

MODx encountered the following error while attempting to parse the requested resource:
                  « EasyPoll Snippet Error: No polls available »

It should probably gracefully die with a simple "No polls available at this time." message.
                  I fixed that and some other small issues. Only the Snippet code has changed. Get it in the repository
                  • Poll Questions and Answers are now being html-entity encoded
                  • If there are no polls, EasyPoll doesn’t output a ugly MODx Parser Error any longer
                  • Cookies are now stored on domain level, not directory level

My spare time is quite limited at the moment, but i hope to do some more improvements on the snippet/module soon.
                    • 232 Posts
                    Hi, banal!

I have troubles with version 0.3.2.
                    If I replace easypoll.class.php to new version I receive bad text (bad encoding) in my pools. If I remove all htmlentities from this file - all ok.

PS. MODx 0.9.6.1p2, UTF8, PHP 5.2.5
                      • 7,075 Posts
                      @Pisto Ganza : maybe provide a bit more info on this last one...

Now, I am moving my previous post down so that it doesn’t get buried tongue

"You’re going to hate me for putting up yet another feature request but here are some items I think would be awesome :

• could the "Internal Title" default to the default language string if empty ? The way I use it I don’t need to have an internal title different from the default language...
                      • re-usable choices set (kind of "choices templates"), maybe that’s not something people use but when you have recurring "choices set" it could be useful not needing to type all choices every time around.
                      • optionnal text or textarea for a given choice (sometimes you need explaining of a vote)... I imagine it’s not that easy to implement, I might just use eForm in the templates...

Now I am shutting up lipsrsealed"

Quote from: banal at May 15, 2008, 11:32 AM
                      I guess i understand what you are trying to do. I had a similar request over in the "Development & Coding" Subforum. Somebody wanted to track votes per user to build some sort of questionnaire. Maybe i’ll integrate something like that into the polls module in the next release.
                      A while ago (while i was developing the EasyPoll Module) i received a message from Ryan Thrash, that he has a almost complete Polls/Questionaire Application that needs only minor work to be released. I didn’t hear anything from him since then... maybe we should get back to it, because it sounded a lot like this could satisfy your needs.

Sorry I missed that post, I’ll PM Ryan then thanks for the info smiley

MODx est l'outil id