We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 5 Posts
    Does anyone know of a solid tutorial on best practices for FoxyCart/MODx integration? All I have is this: http://wiki.foxycart.com/integration:modx:tutorial, and it doesn’t mention how to use Ditto, best way to list products on a page, etc.

Thanks everyone!
      • 361 Posts
      Yeah, that page is pretty awesomely lame, and is unfinished.

I think part of it comes down to MODx best practices, which (aside from the snippet creation guide) there aren’t really any of. So perhaps I’ll see what I can create on the FoxyCart end, and perhaps that can grow into something more general for MODx.

What topics would you like to see covered, other than usage of Ditto? I’m thinking perhaps some discussion on Ditto tags v. folders, TVs necessary for products (price, category, code, inventory level, etc.), the necessary templates (category / browse page, individual product / options page, cart and checkout (and receipt), etc.), usage of PHx. Anything else you can thing of?
        Need MODx Ecommerce? Try FoxyCart!
        • 5 Posts
        I’m new to MODx and will have to learn more about Snippet creation. However, what you listed in your reply (and thanks for that btw) is exactly what I’m looking for. The most efficient way to get up and running with FoxyCart, using MODx as a CMS by learning how to create Ditto tags, the TVs needed to display products (all and product detail), templates, etc.

Thanks
          • 361 Posts
          Ok cool.
          I have a major deadline on Tuesday for a project, but I’ll update soonafter. If you think of anything you might need that hasn’t been discussed let me know.
          • What do you want your catalog pages to look like?
              Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
              Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
              • 5 Posts
              The catalog pages will be a simple 3 column, maybe 4 x whatever, which can be drilled into a basic detail page. The detail page will show the price, available options (size, color, etc.) and add to cart.

Would you also happen to know how to change my header graphics for each section?

Thanks for the info cool.
                • 54 Posts
                Hey all (long time, no post... I know)

I just recently finished up this pro-bono project for my friends at Global Support Mission: http://www.secondavenuetrade.com/

I’m thinking of copying the modx database and making it available as an example store for FoxyCart. It would come complete with phpthumb example usage, lightbox for viewing closeups of the products, as well as catalog pages done with ditto. The tricky part was getting the ditto filters to work for sorting by price, region and material.

Anyway, if this is something that would help out the MODx community, just let me know and I’ll see what I can do.
                • Go for it Luke ... that’d be a great example indeed.
                    Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                    Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                    • 203 Posts
                    @luke, that would be helpfully cool!

I got half way through that guide and stopped sad. More time then anything. But a couple of visual guides for those that like to glance at the outcome helps get your head around how it should be structured!!
                      • 361 Posts
                      What does everybody think the best way to handle this would be? Luke was thinking of pretty much backing up a working store (files and database backup), so you could pretty much unzip, import the DB, (probably run the installer to fix cache/path issues), and go.

The other option is documenting the process to set it up yourself. Pros and cons to each method, so what does everybody think would be more useful? Or something else we’re not thinking of, perhaps?