We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 72 Posts
    I’m intrested in html static export too. shall I go back to evo?
      MODx evo 1.5~1.6 ✪ Apache v 2.2.22 ✪ PHP v 5.3.10 ✪ MySQL v 5.1.61
      <°'iiii);
      • 84 Posts
      I never got anywhere with this -- going back to evo is not a sustainable solution, maybe the best idea is to use curl and download the entire site. I really wouldn’t know how to code up such an extension in php for revo.
      • Quote from: pehrlich at Oct 01, 2010, 11:55 AM

I never got anywhere with this -- going back to evo is not a sustainable solution, maybe the best idea is to use curl and download the entire site. I really wouldn’t know how to code up such an extension in php for revo.
        Who would? Dynamic sites cannot really be just simply exported to HTML. What should go where the non-cacheable Snippet go, and what if it depends heavily on Plugins, etc.

Some sort of export functionality will eventually be provided, but those are just some of the challenges that have to be addressed to create a proper solution.
          • 135 Posts
          I wanted to do a similar thing a couple of weeks ago in Revo. I have a site with a few hundred HTML pages from an older site that needed to be imported into MODx. I was working on cleaning these pages up in Dreamweaver (making bulk sitewide changes using global regex find+replace), and afterwards I imported them into MODx using the handy Import HTML feature. Later after updating quite a few Resources, I realized I had missed a few things in my find+replace which would now need to be updated manually -- in hundreds of pages -- or done with DB queries or a script! It would have been nice to just export all site resources as plain HTML and finish that up in DW, then re-import and go from there.

I ended up making a list of changes I needed to make, and wrote a quick find + replace snippet to clean up the last few things, which I think saved me time in the end after all (TBH, DW is a pain to work with! tongue ).

You could look at the issue from two points of view. On one hand, people may not want their content "stuck" in the MODx database without a way to actually get the content out later; even if it means leaving MODx tags like snippets, chunks, etc, and only exporting the resource’s content field, pagetitle and alias path (basically, the reverse of the Import HTML feature). Yes, it’s a crippled site without the ability to process tags, but there’s a facility to easily get stuff out once it’s in. On the other hand, you could say that the content is essentially useless without all the extra stuff. It certainly couldn’t be viewed without all that stuff!
            • 72 Posts
            many part of a website can be static. it’s almost like serving a cache: the site’s work is much less, and there’s less risk of security holes. I’m happy with revo, but my clients often ask for a sort of "publish" option, where they can edit the content on the dinamic side, but then serving static pages on the public side.
              MODx evo 1.5~1.6 ✪ Apache v 2.2.22 ✪ PHP v 5.3.10 ✪ MySQL v 5.1.61
              <°'iiii);
              • 37 Posts
              We’ve built a MODx Revo site for a client and he can’t get to grips with the CMS - his old sie was one he managed himself with dreamweaver and static files (no php, not database).....and he’s just asked for an old-fashion static html.

My search bought me here

After searching elsewhere I’ve decided to use a scraping tool, WinHTTrack Website Copier, which has done a reasonable job but will need tweaking