We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 5 Posts

I have tried every way I can think of to get one of the two form add ons to work. Formit does nothing and SPForm gives errors. A very simple php email form works on my server so I’m not sure why I struggle so much trying to make this work. I’m thinking the Modx system is a bit to complex for people like me who are more about website design and want the convenience of a CMS for site wide changes. I find myself searching for answers for hours or days sometimes because the documentation is either wrong or sloppy.

This is not meant to be a shot on this CMS because I actually love it but I just struggle to much trying to make use of it in a productive way.

Why go through all the work of making something so outstanding and then not making it simple to use?? Doesn’t make any sense to me.
      • 24,544 Posts
      What version of MODx are you using?

Exactly what error is SPForm giving you?
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 5 Posts
        Quote from: BobRay at Oct 12, 2010, 10:33 PM

What version of MODx are you using?

Exactly what error is SPForm giving you?

2.02 revolution. I’m on the go daddy shared server and I’ve found some threads on people having problems but went I trieed to locate what they were talking about the line of code was blank.

I can’t remember the error now but I did suffer a massive stroke this year so my memory isn’t what is used to be. I just tried to set the smtp up in both the snippet and in the setting with my smtp settings that I know works. When done through Modx it either sends no mail with formit or gets errors with SPForm.

I’ve read and searched and I’ve hit a frustration point. I just wanted to do a couple of things like tie my already existing forum made in SMF to the Modx system but that is a huge hassle I guess and I wanted a blog whichdid work following the instructions posted. This CMS is like a dream come true to make quality websitesbut I can’t make heads or tails of how to put the pieces together.

• 24,544 Posts
          OK, this could be your problem: If you’re using the SMTP System Settings, you should NOT use the snippet’s SMTP settings (and vice versa). It’s like two chefs trying the stir the pot at the same time.
            My MODX Extras
            • 5 Posts
            Quote from: BobRay at Oct 13, 2010, 03:31 AM

OK, this could be your problem: If you’re using the SMTP System Settings, you should NOT use the snippet’s SMTP settings (and vice versa). It’s like two chefs trying the stir the pot at the same time.

Unfortunately I’ve tried it almost every way I could find and read about because I have two sites I was going to use Modx on but then I decided to use one site as a test server but it is live.
              • 181 Posts
              I have the same problem. I am using formit on my contact us page without issue. I copied my call on the contact us page and placed it on another page and the call will not work. Any help?

[[!FormIt?  &hooks=`email,redirect`  &emailTpl=`WebcamEmailChunk`  &emailTo=`[email protected]`  &redirectTo=`202` &emailSubject=`Web Cam Submission`]]  

<p>[[+fi.error.error_message]]</p>

<form action="[[~[[*id]]]]" method="post" class="form">
                  <input type="hidden" name="nospam:blank" value="" />
              <fieldset>
              <legend class="webcamlegend">Submission Form</legend>  
              <ol class="webcamsubmit"> 
                  <li><label for="name">First & Last Name:<span class="error">[[+fi.error.name]]</span></label>
                  <input type="text" name="name:required" id="name" value="[[+fi.name]]" /></li>

<li><label for="email">Email Address:<span class="error">[[+fi.error.email]]</span></label>
                  <input type="text" name="email" class="webcamemail" value="[[+fi.email]]" /></li>

<li><label for="url">Web Cam URL:<span class="error">[[+fi.error.url]]</span></label>
                  <input type="text" name="url" class="webcamurl" value="[[+fi.url]]" /></li>

<li><label>Web Cam Option:[[+fi.error.webcam]]</label>
                      <select name="webcam" value="[[+fi.webcam]]">
                          <option value="">Select an option...</option>
                          <option value="one" [[!+fi.numbers:FormItIsSelected=`webcam`]]>Web Cam</option>
                          <option value="two" [[!+fi.numbers:FormItIsSelected=`fishcam`]]>Fish Cam</option>
                      </select>
                  </li>

<li><label for="credit">Credited To:<span class="error">[[+fi.error.credit]]</span></label>
                  <input type="text" name="credit" class="webcamcredit" value="[[+fi.credit]]" /></li>

<li><label for="message">Message:[[+fi.error.message]]</label>
                  <textarea name="message:stripTags" id="message" cols="55" rows="7">[[+fi.message]]</textarea></li>
              </ol>
                  <br class="clear" />
                  [[!+formit.recaptcha_html]]
                  [[+fi.error.recaptcha]]

<br class="clear" />

<div class="form-buttons">
                      <input type="submit" value="Submit" />
                  </div>
              </fieldset>
              </form>

Thanks in advance.
                • 24,544 Posts
                Quote from: outdoorsadv at Oct 13, 2010, 06:22 PM

I have the same problem. I am using formit on my contact us page without issue. I copied my call on the contact us page and placed it on another page and the call will not work. Any help?

I’m at a loss on that one. If you pasted the entire snippet tag *and* the form code, I don’t see any way it could work on one page and not another. There’s no page-specific code involved.
                  My MODX Extras
                  • 181 Posts
                  Okay, I figured out how to get formit to work, but I am puzzled as to why this is. Maybe one of the modx experts can clue me in.

What I did was move the form from beneath a parent resource to the root directory. From there the form works correctly. If I move it back under the parent resource the form no longer works. For everyone having this problem try and move your resource to the root directory.

Thanks.
                    • 1,624 Posts
                    Can you post the output of

<form action="[[~[[*id]]]]" method="post" class="form">

in both cases?

I will have to try this myself
                      • 181 Posts
                      Not quite sure what you mean posting the output? Could you explain?