We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 31 Posts
    i think I’ve found the problem: it is serverbased.

to find out if you have the same problem try this: get the path of a thumbnail e.g.
    [tt]http://www.yourwebsite.de/manager/media/browser/mcpuk/connectors/php/connector.php?Command=Thumbnail&Type=images&CurrentFolder=/icons/&FileName=seifenblasen.jpeg&ExtraParams=[/tt]

if you get an error message like this:
    [tt]Fatal error: mime_magic could not be initialized, magic file /usr/share/file/magic.mime is not available in /yourpath/manager/media/browser/mcpuk/connectors/php/Commands/Thumbnail.php on line 108[/tt]
    you’ve the same misconfiguration as me...

on my system was a php configuration problem. there was a wrong path to the magic.mime file (php.ini »mime_magic.magicfile«). I’ve read in another forum that the file is stored in a subfolder. in my configuration it was [tt]/usr/share/file/magic.mime[/tt] but it is in [tt]/usr/share/misc/file/magic.mime[/tt].
      • 17 Posts
      *bump*

I’ve got a problem with thumbnails/FCKEditor, too. However: it does create thumbnails, but not in all directories. Example: assets/images doesn’t work, but when I create a subfolder there, it works fine with that.
      The funny (?) thing about that is that the same configuration works fine on another account on the same server. And I think it has also worked on this one before.

Any ideas?

/edit:
      Works fine now. The reason was a file name which had some special chars (umlauts) in it (Anfänger.jpg).
      This behaviour ought to be fixed in the future...
        ...whatever...
        • 6 Posts
        Hi everyone,

I had the same problem, for me, it turned out to be a function which, for security reasons, is banned on our servers.

If you can’t see images in the file browser, you may want to try this:

Open the following file:

manager/media/browser/mcpuk/connectors/php/Commands/Thumbnail.php

Around line 98 - 100 should be the following bit of code:

header("Content-type: $iconMime",true);
                        readfile($icon);

Change it to this (providing you can use fopen):

//readfile($icon);
        		$fp = @fopen($icon,"rb");
        		fpassthru($fp);
        		fclose($fp);

That got it working for me.

Chris Cook
        www.leadingedgehosting.co.uk
          • 122 Posts

Quote from: allstarone at Oct 03, 2007, 11:07 AM

Hi everyone,

I had the same problem, for me, it turned out to be a function which, for security reasons, is banned on our servers.

If you can’t see images in the file browser, you may want to try this:

Open the following file:

manager/media/browser/mcpuk/connectors/php/Commands/Thumbnail.php

Around line 98 - 100 should be the following bit of code:

readfile($icon);

Change it to this (providing you can use fopen):

//readfile($icon);
          		$fp = @fopen($icon,"rb");
          		fpassthru($fp);
          		fclose($fp);

That got it working for me.

Chris Cook
          www.leadingedgehosting.co.uk

Thanks for this. This solved my issue! My server was hardened by an outside company who disabled some php settings that posed a risk to the server which included magic mime due to "a hacker could compromise the server by uploading a .jpeg file as an executable". This work around worked perfectly and is apparantly much safer!

Thanks!
            • 147 Posts
            Quite weird as on my case it seems to be different from all of these

cases.

On same hosting there’s two same version (1.0.3) MODx working fine. One in

subdirectory works just fine (creating/showing .thumbnails) and one in

root directory doesn’t create .thumbnail files.

No thumbnails created and just absolutely nothing seen on editor - even no

placeholders so it just looks like the assets/images folder is empty. When

log in via FTP then the uploaded images are there (jpg, gif and png) but

.thumb images not there (my FTP shows hidden files so problem not there).

Correct permissions and correct server path as files upload.

Can’t be server issue as at same server everything works.

Also tried allstarone’s Thumbnail.php modification but that also didn’t

help:(
              • 147 Posts
              Upgrade to 1.0.4 helped as I couldn’t figure out what was the issue...
                • 147 Posts
                I don’t know what’s going on - maybe something my customer is doing but now I have the same problem again with upgraded 1.0.4 - it was all working after I upgraded long ago but now after summerholiday my customer says that same problem is back. I have done nothing there meanwhile and my customer has minimal rights in MODx. But it must be something that customer has done that the problem described 2 posts back by me is now again here.
                  • 697 Posts
                  I also had this issue of thumbnails not displaying after a migration.

The very strange is that both the manager/media/browser/mcpuk and the assets/plugin/tinymce3241 folders were same as those used by another website on the same hosting, the later working perfectly.
                  Of course I had set the MODx Configuration correctly.
                  The name of the pictures was displaying, but not the thumbnails themselves.

After having tried all tricks in this thread and spent one or two on this issue, it was still not working, even if clearing MODx and browser caches. Until I had the idea to also transfer the thumbnails that were created when I imported the pictures in the manager, those files whose name starts by ".thumb_". This solved the issue.

As you see, unfortunately, FCKEditor doesn't create the new thumbnails it requires if existing pictures don't have their.