We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 87 Posts
    Quote from: goldsky at Aug 31, 2010, 07:18 AM

On the other hand, I’m one of some people who don’t want TinyMCE in chunk.

TinyMCE always tries to be smart by inserting HTML tags into snippet calls, which makes trouble rather than solution.
    I usually put my snippet calls with their full and complex parameters in chunks, and place them safely into template.

The default display option could be set to off. At least give the the option to enable TinyMCE for chunks.
      • 1 Posts
      BUMP...this was doable in evolution. why disable it completely?
        • 38 Posts
        i’m still using evolution because of this issue. i hope modx will have the tinymce in chunks.
          • 87 Posts
          Is there a workaround to this? Or will this be addressed REALLY soon? I can’t figure out another way to get around this problem, and it’s turning out to be a big one. Surely there are others that need to provide clients the ability to update ’chunks’ of their website (without telling client "for this you have to learn html"). Defeats the purpose of a CMS... huh
            • 49 Posts
            I must concur with those who require TinyMCE functionality in chunks.

Please make raw text the default, with the option to turn on the RTE, just like regular documents.

MODX is a Content, not Markup, management system.

So far, it’s a step backwards from Evo.
              • 38 Posts
              Bump! Any solution to our chunk editor problem? I’m contemplating on using other CMS for my new projects because of this issue.

I’ve uploaded a few Evolution projects and my clients liked the set-up of editing chunks.
                • 24,544 Posts
                There are two problems here. First, setting which_element_editor to TinyMCE would mean that snippets and plugins would be edited with TinyMCE -- definitely a bad thing. Second, TinyMCE doesn’t currently work with chunks.

The solution is a fix to TinyMCE and (IMO) the addition of a which_chunk_editor System Setting or something similar.

In the meantime, one workaround is to make them Rich Text TVs instead of chunks.
                  Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                  Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                  MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                  My MODX Extras
                  Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                  • 4 Posts
                  Any updates?
                  I am going to say this is a little frustrating, it looks like over a year for this to be resolved. I am about to install revolution in an environment as ModX suggests Revo for sites on VPS etc. because this client has over 1m unique visitors a year so any shared hosting simply will not do.

And for the commenter that said that a TV is an acceptable work around... This still requires the user to make global changes without the wysiwyg which is not much of a work around.

In short please fix this, it is a huge gap in your software, I love it the CMS but it is still a big gap. Without this fix it makes the decision between ModX and ExpressionEngine less clear, I want to go with ModX but please make it easier on me to make that decision...
                    • 24,544 Posts
                    Quote from: djverbal at May 19, 2011, 07:13 PM

And for the commenter that said that a TV is an acceptable work around... This still requires the user to make global changes without the wysiwyg which is not much of a work around.

I’m afraid I don’t know what you mean. If you make it a rich text TV, the users can make all their changes in TinyMCE. You could also do this with NewsPublisher and let the users edit the TV with TinyMCE in the front end after logging in.
                      Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                      Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                      My MODX Extras
                      Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                      • 0 Posts
                      I ran into this huge problem as well. Unless I am missing something, I would have to agree with djverbal. If for example, you use a tv to allow a user to update text in the site footer , which spans all the pages of your website, you would have to update the tv on each page which is not very practical. Using the default value of the TV (which spans all pages) does not work either as it does not have the original formatting that would have been obtained using a rich text TV on the page in which it was created.

A chunk on the other hand, always retains the value no matter where it is placed. Unfortunately it does not have the TinyMce editor in which a user can edit without knowing HTML. This is a huge drawback.