We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 623 Posts
    I woke up this morning to a blank document tree. When in the manager there is no document tree available. I can’t think of anything that’s been done to change things. Any changes were made days before the document tree disappeared and it was working fine until this morning. Any ideas? What I might look for?

Apache version 2.0.63
    PHP version 5.2.6
    MySQL version 4.1.22-standard
    Operating system Linux

ModX 0.9.6.1p2

[EDIT]
    I noticed that when I click on "refresh document tree" the message in the upper-right hand corner of the manager "Loading document tree..." appears, but doesn’t go away. Still can’t edit documents - need this to work. Thanks.
      The MODx has you...
      Utah Web Design
      • 623 Posts
      I get three errors in Firebug. #3 seems to be the problem, yet I’m still clueless as to where I start.

1. document.getElementById is not a function mootools.js (line3)

2. Ajax is not defined: index.php (line 21)
       var updateMailerAjx = new Ajax('index.php', {method:'post', postBody:'updateMsgCount=true', onComplete:showResponse});

3. Ajax is not defined: index.php (line 223)
       new Ajax('index.php?a=1&f=nodes&indent=1&parent=0&expandAll=2', {method: 'get',onComplete:rpcLoadData}).request();
        The MODx has you...
        Utah Web Design
        • 2,310 Posts
        I had this happen once before using Firefox, I changed to IE7 and it was fine.
        Next time I logged in using Firefox all was okay.
        Never figured out what was happening, life’s too short!
          • 956 Posts
          I woke up this morning to a blank document tree

Sounds like opener lyrics of a geek blues song smiley

Did you try to access the manager with more than one browser?
          Did the hosting company change any apache/php/mysql settings lately? *
          Were you moving the site (local to remote, or switch directories)?
          Are the documents still in the database? i.e. frontend is working fine?

* There is a very restrictive setting that some hosting providers use (I’m sorry, but I forgot the name for it. I’m not even sure if it’s an Apache or PHP config): Turning that on will block Javascript in some instances. Since lots of Ajax / JS is used in the backend, maybe those settings are blocking the manager. This could explain the 2nd + 3rd error message.

In any case: I’d close the browser, clean the browser cache completely, and try again. Or try it with another browser. If this doesn’t help, ask your hosting provider if they upgraded or changed something recently. Some companies don’t deem it necessary to inform their customers about such changes...
            • 623 Posts
            @bunk58: I’ve tried it in Safari, FF, Camino, Flock... nothing is showing the nodes.

@ganeshXL: I recompiled PHP for GD/Freetype. That was the only change that’s been made in the last 48 hrs. And it was working after that. I also put in a request with the host to see if they’ve done anything else in the last 48 hrs. What, if anything, could have changed in the recompile that would cause the tree to stop working? Hmm. Well, thanks, I’ll see what the host says.
              The MODx has you...
              Utah Web Design
              • 623 Posts
              Just got word back from the host. They haven’t changed anything. undecided
                The MODx has you...
                Utah Web Design
                • 623 Posts
                I’m trying this thread because I wasn’t getting any answers in the General Support. I apologize for all the fuss, but this is a live site. I need to be able to edit documents. There’s a blog on the site and it has members that want access to the daily information. The site was working fine then all of the sudden this morning the document tree disappeared. Nothing has been changed on the server between the time it was working and now. The front end works as expected, but we are unable to navigate the file structure and add blog posts.

Has anyone heard of this? My document tree no longer appears and I get two errors in Firebug. #3 seems to be the problem, yet I’m still clueless as to where I start.

1. document.getElementById is not a function mootools.js (line3)

2. Ajax is not defined: index.php (line 21)
                 var updateMailerAjx = new Ajax('index.php', {method:'post', postBody:'updateMsgCount=true', onComplete:showResponse});

3. Ajax is not defined: index.php (line 223)
                 new Ajax('index.php?a=1&f=nodes&indent=1&parent=0&expandAll=2', {method: 'get',onComplete:rpcLoadData}).request();

Apache version   2.0.63
                PHP version   5.2.6
                MySQL version   4.1.22-standard
                Operating system   Linux

ModX 0.9.6.1p2

[EDIT] From this thread: http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,26029.0.html

The MODx has you...
                  Utah Web Design
                  • 623 Posts
                  Sorry about the bump, but I wanted to add some new information that I thought was pertinent.

OK, for some add reason it wasn’t including the mootools file - mootools.v.1.00.js we’ve got a temporary fix for it now, but I don’t like temporary and I don’t like not knowing what really happened. So, if manually including the mootools to manager/frames/tree.php file fixed it, what could have caused modx to not include it in the first place? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
                    The MODx has you...
                    Utah Web Design
                    • 19 Posts
                    Quote from: cbaone at May 26, 2008, 03:02 PM

I woke up this morning to a blank document tree. When in the manager there is no document tree available. I can’t think of anything that’s been done to change things. Any changes were made days before the document tree disappeared and it was working fine until this morning. Any ideas? What I might look for?

Apache version 2.0.63
                    PHP version 5.2.6
                    MySQL version 4.1.22-standard
                    Operating system Linux

ModX 0.9.6.1p2

Same thing just happened to me - woke up, about to start work and - no document tree!

MODx version 0.9.6.3
                    Version codename rev 4565

In my case I get two errors in firebug:
                    Ajax is not defined
                    [Break on this error] var updateMailerAjx = new Ajax('index.php', {method:'post', postBody:'updateMsg...

and
                    Ajax is not defined
                    [Break on this error] new Ajax('index.php?a=1&f=nodes&indent=1&parent=0&expandAll=2', {method:...

the first one explains why the mail link at the top of the page is ’Messages ( ? / ? )’
                    perhaps the second is the problem.

This problem occurs in firefox only - but it is in firefox that I need to be, because of firebug.

I’d greatly appreciate any advice here - I am not a coder, but can usually follow the gist.
                    • Maybe related but I’ve had serious issues with Firebug since upgrading to Fx 3.0.7 - such to the point that I’ve had to disable Firebug and just re-enable when I need it. My problem was related to GoogleMaps and not the MODx Manager though.

Try disabling Firebug and see if that works, or maybe even clearing your browser cache as the error would indicate that somehow it’s not seeing the main mootools library that should be included.
                        Garry Nutting
                        Senior Developer
                        MODX, LLC

Email: [email protected]
                        Twitter: @garryn
                        Web: modx.com