We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 356 Posts
    if you download a template how does it get loaded ?

Its somewhat confusing, are templates only hand made via code inside admin or are they installed

the admin manager not very userfriendly its a mystery shocked

let me get this straight, download template folders, then copy/paste html and insert in admin manager ? ?

that’s the best we can come up with to add a template ? seems like a lot of work, sweating already lol

how about just add tempaltes to template folder then in admin just click something to load new template
      SMF Bookmark Mod - check it out
      http://mods.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=350
      • 1,039 Posts
      Well, I guess you come from Joomla laugh

MODx doesn´t have an installer for templates (nor for snippets or plugins, except the author delivers it). But it´s not a big thing: Just go the manager, click on "ressources", then on "manage ressources" and create a new template. Copy and paste code you downloaded and you got it. But in MODx you alwas have to do some customization for your needs, for example the start doc for your menu and so on. This is not (fortunately) a ready-to-run enviroment where the system implements a lot of stuff for you (which you actually don´t need). Once you discovered the power of Template Variables for example you never will go back again laugh

Greetz Marc
        • 356 Posts
        sounds good but how long will I have to wait until I learn the system 100 years ? tongue

yea i came from joomla lol as much as I find joomla a pain in an ass some of their admin features are handy and easy to use but I can understand the Modx way, the only problem is a first time user will not have a clue as to how to get it up and running. That means Modx will have a limited range of users. Perhaps if there were a more easier step by step library of instructions, this might make it very effective for new modx users. The current modx documentations doesn’t make much sense unless your a developer rolleyes
          SMF Bookmark Mod - check it out
          http://mods.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=350
        • MODx take a completely differnt tact in how it works. You can’t evealuate it solely based on a comfort zone with other CMSes. If you’re comfortable with copy/paste you’ll be able to get the hang of it quick enough.

Then when the power of TVs/@BINDINGS finally register, a whole new world will open up!

(BTW, the sole reason I became involved wiht MODx is that at the time, it was incredibly difficult to build a clean XHTML/CSS site in any system including Joomla!’s (how the heck do you do a possessive on that name???) predecessor. Don’t know if this is still the case today, but I suspect it is.)
            Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
            • 1,193 Posts
            Quote from: rthrash at Mar 16, 2006, 05:32 PM

(BTW, the sole reason I became involved wiht MODx is that at the time, it was incredibly difficult to build a clean XHTML/CSS site in any system including Joomla!’s (how the heck do you do a possessive on that name???) predecessor. Don’t know if this is still the case today, but I suspect it is.)

Correct Ryan. At this time, using the core code and modules with Joomla!, a site will not validate as XHTML. The Joomla! camp, however, has this listed as a priority in their roadmap, and there are a few hacks to get sites to vailidate, but they involve kludgey changes to the core code.

-sD-
              Husband, Father, Brother, Son, Programmer, Atheist, Nurse, Friend, Lover, Fighter.
              All of the above... in no specific order.

I send pointless little messages
              • 204 Posts
              Quote from: ScottyDelicious at Mar 16, 2006, 06:23 PM

Quote from: rthrash at Mar 16, 2006, 05:32 PM

Correct Ryan. At this time, using the core code and modules with Joomla!, a site will not validate as XHTML. The Joomla! camp, however, has this listed as a priority in their roadmap, and there are a few hacks to get sites to vailidate, but they involve kludgey changes to the core code.

-sD-

Double true, most of the people involved don’t have the expertise to rewrite the core to produce semantic markup for css layouts . . . it get’s thrown in the too hard basket as soon as you mention the word "float" rolleyes

Besides, joomla’s just the mambo antichrist - both are too messed up to have any hope of reaching the heights set by modX

• 7,075 Posts
                Quote from: MadeMyDay at Mar 15, 2006, 10:12 PM
                This is not (fortunately) a ready-to-run enviroment where the system implements a lot of stuff for you (which you actually don´t need).

That’s something that will puzzle a lot of people coming from ready-to-run CMSes, just like it did for new Textpattern users (it uses the same principle of copy-paste to "install" template, to this day this hasn’t changed).

To develop a little about the "fortunately" part that some might not get, this means on the other hand MODx websites, like Textpattern’s, will not suffer the "kubrick syndrome" of look alike websites. Thus the "fortunately" smiley

This might not be essential to end users, but it will to power users or designers that want to achieve full control over layout and generated code...
                  .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
                  • 160 Posts
                  And all I can say to that is HALLELUIAH! No more mambots feeding wankynasty code into my clean as I can make it template!

Oh and those "compliant sites" built with Joomla? Very few of them are completely tableless since most of the NECESSARY functionality in joomla is in mambots (or is that joombots now?) almost none of which are tableless, and few of which would validate even at html 4.0 spec, no matter what claims the devs make about joomla generating compliant code. It’s a snow job. Core might be compliant to html 4.0 with tabled layouts, but that’s not really truly compliant in my book. Not for the Semantic Web.
                    "I’d love to change the world but I can’t find the source code . . ."

Custom ModX Templates
                    • 7,075 Posts
                    Well, I can only agree with you on this, and that’ why I only use a very shorlist of CMSes : Texptattern and MODx... Drupal and CMS Made Simple on occasions...

This being said, tables are not banned, they’re banned for layouts...

If you love tableless, check Unclassified News Board, the first (to my knowledge) tableless forum (I am not counting Vanilla in, since it’s a lightboard...).
                      .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
                      • 160 Posts
                      To be a bit more semantically specific tables are banned for everything but tabular data.

And thank you so much for the steer toward the Unclassified News Board, I’m sure I’ll get use out of it. (okay, who wants to do an integration???)
                        "I’d love to change the world but I can’t find the source code . . ."

Custom ModX Templates