We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 54 Posts
    Hey! I keep getting an error message from the NewsListing snippet: "Your NewsListing template is blank or you have a typo in the chunk name, please check it." I know the chunk name is alright and the template is NOT blank, so what’s wrong? Here’s the details:

In my "Articles index page" I make a simple NewsListing call, where id=6 is the root folder of all my articles :
    [[NewsListing? &tpl='NewsListingTemplate' &truncSplit='false' &startID='6' &summarize='3']]

I’ve created a chunk called NewsListingTemplate which looks like this:
    <div>
    <h3><a href="[~[+id+]~]">[+title+]</a></h3>
    <div>[+summary+]</div>
    <p>[+link+]</p>
    <div style="text-align:right;">av <strong>[+author+]</strong> den [+date+]</div>
    </div>

...and lastly, in the template which my "Articles index page" uses, "article_index", I just put [*content*] in the main content <div>. Maybe it’s me who’s stupid, but this is how I understand from the documentation how it should be done.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Mats Wall

PS. I downloaded MODx last Saturday, March 25. It came with NewsListing 4.4 without any /assets/snippets/newslisting/ folder and no functions.php. I spent most of my day yesterday trying to figure out why the NewsListing call simply killed my page. It came up blank! I got unexpected help from Robsta (thanks, Rob!) who unintentionally alterted me to this problem. I downloaded the latest version, and after that I get at least an error message... smiley
    • Hi Zzzeke,

Just looking at your snippet call, make sure you use `` instead of ’’. So, this should work:

[[NewsListing? &tpl=`NewsListingTemplate` &truncSplit=`false` &startID=`6` &summarize=`3`]]

Please post back if the problem still occurs after making this change.

Cheers, Garry

Garry Nutting
        Senior Developer
        MODX, LLC

Email: [email protected]
        Twitter: @garryn
        Web: modx.com
        • 122 Posts
        Glad to have been able to help grin

Unintentionally? LOL tehehe!

I feel a new cartoon character coming on.... Is it Superman? is it batman? no, it’s unintentional man! LOL sorry, got a little side tracked! rolleyes
          • 54 Posts
          Quote from: Robsta at Mar 28, 2006, 03:50 PM

Glad to have been able to help grin

Unintentionally? LOL tehehe!

I feel a new cartoon character coming on.... Is it Superman? is it batman? no, it’s unintentional man! LOL sorry, got a little side tracked! rolleyes

LOL... grin
            • 54 Posts
            Quote from: garryn at Mar 28, 2006, 03:42 PM

Hi Zzzeke,

Just looking at your snippet call, make sure you use `` instead of ’’. So, this should work:

[[NewsListing? &tpl=`NewsListingTemplate` &truncSplit=`false` &startID=`6` &summarize=`3`]]

Please post back if the problem still occurs after making this change.

Cheers, Garry

Thanks, Garryn, for the suggestion! But this made it even worse. Now I don’t even get an error message. It’s just... silent.
              • 3,975 Posts
              Try to refreshing site from site menu, and call your snippet uncached [! .... !]

regards,

zi
                Zaigham R - MODX Professional | Skype | Email | Twitter

Digging the interwebs for #MODX gems and bringing it to you. modx.link
                • 54 Posts
                Quote from: zi at Mar 28, 2006, 04:22 PM

Try to refreshing site from site menu, and call your snippet uncached [! .... !]

regards,

zi

Nope, no change. I refreshed the site from my MODx manager site menu, set the NewsListing call to non-cache, [!...!] and even did an "ipconfig/flushdns" from windows cmd, just in case. Then I called the snippet again. But... no.

Q: Does it make any difference for the NewsListing snippet what language settings I use in my Doctype declaration, xml:lang="sv"...and... lang="sv" ? And also charset=utf8 ...and... content-language content=sv ? I ask because the output from the snippet disappears altogether when I use ` instead of ’ or ". In the latter case I at least get an error message... undecided
                  • 54 Posts
                  Quote from: Zzzeke at Mar 28, 2006, 05:03 PM
                  Q: Does it make any difference for the NewsListing snippet what language settings I use in my Doctype declaration, xml:lang="sv"...and... lang="sv" ? And also charset=utf8 ...and... content-language content=sv ? I ask because the output from the snippet disappears altogether when I use ` instead of ’ or ". In the latter case I at least get an error message... undecided

Hmm... I get even more suspicious when I read something like this in the bug tracker: http://modxcms.com/bugs/task/306?tasks=all.

EDIT: No, no luck there either. I’ve tried to change all these setting one at a time, refreshing my site in between. But no change. Suggestions anyone?
                    • 3,250 Posts
                    Try this call and let me know if it works:

[[NewsListing? &tpl=`NewsListingTemplate`&startID=`6` &summarize=`3`]]

If it does not work, remove all the parameters and add them back until it works. Please let me know which one is the issue.

Which version of NewsListing are you running?
                      • 54 Posts
                      Quote from: Mark at Mar 28, 2006, 10:27 PM

Try this call and let me know if it works:

[[NewsListing? &tpl=`NewsListingTemplate`&startID=`6` &summarize=`3`]]

If it does not work, remove all the parameters and add them back until it works. Please let me know which one is the issue.
                      No, your suggested call didn’t work. Even a plain call without any parameters doesn’t work. It’s just mute. As I said earlier, if I change the ( ` ) to ( ’ ) or ( " ) I get the snippet to at least say something ("Your NewsListing template is blank or you have a typo in the chunk name, please check it").

Which version of NewsListing are you running?
                      I run the latest 6.3.3... downloaded yesterday. Before that I ran the version (4.4) that comes default with the 0.9.1, the one without functions.php in a non-existing /assets/snippets/newlisting folder. That one rendered the page blank!