We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 223 Posts
    I would be interested in helping as well.
    • Quote from: splittingred at Jun 20, 2011, 11:35 PM

I would highly recommend people file "missing gaps" in the documentation here: http://bugs.modx.com/projects/docs - This will give us a nice running list to start from. Also, it notifies Jason/I/core team what topics are still needed for documentation; with such a massive project, sometimes it’s difficult to remember if everything is documented fully.
      Definitely will keep an eye out for this and file accordingly. When there’s a game plan, count me in. I’ll help in any capacity I can.
        [sepiariver.com] (https://sepiariver.com/)
        • 107 Posts
        Thought I would kick the tires on this. What do we need to make this happen?
          Crawford Paul

Bridgecourt Web Design - Proudly using ModX CMS
          Serving Welland, Niagara, Ontario, Canada and the world!
          http://www.bridgecourt.com
          • 28 Posts
          Quote from: pureppl at Jun 16, 2011, 11:35 PM

The problem is, that writing tutorials eats away my time.
          But i know how important tutorials (aka howtos) are as i’m regularly reading them too.
          But... time. And i know that there are people who can write better tutorials than i.

Here’s an excellent (and affordable) tool that should help address the time issue when creating tutorials and docs:

ScreenSteps
          http://www.bluemangolearning.com/screensteps/

Rafael
          • Somehow topic notification left me. Why?
            • Was talking with a couple folks this week about this. Please contact me at [email protected] if you are interested in helping with documentation of either Revolution or Evoloution.
                Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
                • 8 Posts
                Yahoo Answers is not a forum btw, its Q&A site.
                  • 12 Posts
                  I'd be happy to help where needed.

This is an interesting discussion, so I thought I'd throw in my two cents as a developer who has committed a significant amount of time to learning the ins-and-outs of MODX over the last two years.

Documentation within an Open Source project is a touchy subject. There is no agreement on the nature, audience or quality of the docs because of a very obvious reason - these projects are communities that bring together many different groups of people. Developers, users, admins, etc... We all need to recognize that documentation is within the eye of the beholder, and that the documentation is not meant to develop your application for you. MODX is not a pre-packaged, ready to go website that you simply download and vomit onto the WWW. MODX is built around the idea of a 'framework', which is why it works so well for professional implementations where Joomla, Drupal or the like would just not do. You should not expect that the power that comes with MODX can also include an entire pre-packaged, ready to go website. This is the opposite, which is why it works. I can develop on MODX. I hack, compromise and extend for days within most other CMS tools, only to throw my hands up and just hand code it all. Open Source CMS have gotten to a point where they're so bloated & closed that they're unusable, unstable and (excuse me for being blunt), worth absolutely nothing to developers, their employers and their clients. This is where MODX comes in - if it wasn't for MODX, I would have advised my company to purchase a proprietary system as there is simply nothing else like this system. Likewise, when I first showed my boss MODX six months ago (which now development has been finalized on, deployed onto the web, screaming success all around), she immediately asked "how much does it cost", and then took a while to register that the system was in fact available open-source.

This community is living proof that Open Source technologies are a significant force towards the future of software. There is nothing like this, whether free or for-pay, and before I've ever had the chance to criticize documentation within learning the system, I think of the Devs who dedicate a huge portion/all of their time to provide the community the core system and its extras, as it very well could cost thousands of dollars otherwise.

Documentation is a community effort; therefore, when you see insufficient documentation, it should be seen as a call to get involved. Knowledge is power, and its not free. You'll need to work at it - even as a developer, I have spent countless hours combing through the documentation, attempting to put the pieces together to get MODX to do what I needed it to do. I have not once been disappointed, and neither has my employer. In fact, our organization's requirements for the CMS were so tight that they did not expect to be able to find a system to fulfill them - I told them about a system that we could make meet the requirements through customization, recommended MODX and just today, received the highest praise from company execs. The content managers/users are still in awe of what we were able to do for them with MODX. All this and it's only been deployed for two days now. That's a huge advancement/achievement in my career when I am able to provide a company of 350 employees the tool that solves each and every problem of their past through customization by a developer. You can't even buy this type of advancement. Anyone who experiences it knows that we owe everyone on the MODX team a handie. Just saying... this is not easy - not for MODX themselves or the community extra developers. It's mind-numbing, life consuming work that for some reason, many of those who are not developers fail to understand. (Which I can't understand why... there's a reason you think we developers have some screws loose when you meet us, we've been up for three days working on code!)

That said, I do not believe we can hold the community developers accountable for documentation lower than the developer-level. They invested the time in coding it, they do not work for us, nor do we pay them. That, to me, says beyond documentation about high-level code & inner-working, they're off the hook on dumbing it down. That should be on the community. People like me - developers who are able to use what they've made, interpret it and make it a custom piece of their application. I make documentation about it for the company I work for, like most developers, and there is no reason not to make that, my experience with the extension and what I was able to do with it available to the community.

Likewise, if a non-developer has gained experience that could help other non-devs, it's up to them to add this experience to the community. No developer I know has the time to write four different versions of their docs and include various case studies. In fact, most devs I know do not even know how to write non-technical versions. Simply put, documentation is up to everyone. Next time insufficient documentation is found, I invite you to consider it asking for your help rather than it inherently being low-quality.

MODX development moves fast - its unreasonable to expect perfect documentation on such new features. There should be a call to action to the community for knowledge, experience &/or case studies that may be useful for documentation. I, for one, have no problem contributing what I know, assurance of quality, expansion where needed and code samples if appropriate. Some quality standards & a quality assurance process and we can get documentation up to speed.

I am able to provide contributions if needed as well.
                    • 24,544 Posts
                    Well said. smiley

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    PLEASE, PLEASE specify the version of MODX you are using . . . PLEASE!
                    MODx info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/MODx.html
                      Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                      Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                      My MODX Extras
                      Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                      • 26 Posts
                      I would be happy to led a hand. I have been a satisfied MODx user for years. Please allow me to add a particular here:

Many of us are integrators, we put the pieces together and that is what MODx is for. On projects, we need to train clients on systems we build for them. I have myself created a super simple manual as best can and I can create good documentation. One critical point is interface and functionality change as it affects the Manger. As versions are created, even if functionality is nearly the same, the imagery in the documentation goes stale. I was recently in a position to do a quick version update on Rev from earlier install in October/Nov time frame and notice changes that would likely prompt calls from clients (you know what I mean - hey, does this still do that? - these people are our bread and butter and I want to take care of them.

In the bad ole MS days,they used to publish the interface before the application was upgraded, and it gave time for tech writers and all to catch up all the docs. Not suggesting this, but that interface changes have big impact - not necessarily for developers, but almost everyone else.

Same goes for Packages/Add Ons: Functionality change (even if it is improvements) trickles down into solutions and alters documentation and user knowledge, and while the kaizen of MODx is its greatest strength (incremental improvements over time), there still can be some gotchas when things change and I would humbly suggest that as a maturing product, more can be done to smooth things in terms of design and change management. I think the fact that there are 2 versions of the product speak to its rapid change "cost."

I have no complains and will put my keyboard to work and help.

Blessings...
                      Tim