We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 10 Posts
    Maybe I’m just not seeing it but I have looked all over for any answer to my question and I can’t find one.

I have several "category" folders that use blank templates. Each of these folders have several pages in them.
    Eg:
    Home
    Company
    - About Company
    - Company History
    - Company Philosopy
    Widgets
    - Invisibility Widget
    - Hover Widget
    - Impersonation Widget
    - X-Ray Widget

When I click on a category item in the menu I want to show the subcategories, I don’t want the link to take me to a different page. I have tried several solutions to this, including using the FirstChildRedirect snippet, but like I said, I only want to open the subdirectory on the current page. I even tried adding using the MooMenu but then I can’t keep the subcategories open when I select a sublink.

Is there a simple way to do this?
      • 786 Posts
      nonzero,
      I think the only way todo this would be to use some javascript to expand/hide the submenus. Then when a link is clicked in one of the submenus use some javascript to determine if the current page is in a submenu and if so keep that one expanded. There isn’t any functionality built into Wayfinder to handle this situation though.

• 10 Posts
        I was afraid of that! Thanks though, at least I know what to do now, which is a better place to be than where I was last night.
          • 4,213 Posts
          Quote from: nonzero at Nov 01, 2006, 05:49 PM

I was afraid of that! Thanks though, at least I know what to do now, which is a better place to be than where I was last night.
          If your site menu is only two level deep, you could do this.

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
            • 10 Posts
            This is basically what I wanted, it keeps accordian menu open on the subpages, but I still have to use FirstChildRedirect or the parent link opens up the blank template for the folder.

With the regular Moofx accordian menu, clicking on "widgets" from the home page or company history page would do nothing more than open the widgets submenu and you would still be on the home page or company history page. From a user’s standpoint this makes more sense than selecting "widgets" and then finding yourself on the "invisibility widget" page with new open submenu.

The problem is that I can’t figure out a way to keep the submenu open on the subpages using the original moofx script. If I could combine the two (the original and the one you pointed me to) it would be perfect.

• 4,213 Posts
              I don’t know what you mean by "original moofx snippet".. Why you cannot use the one I referred to?

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
                • 10 Posts
                I used the one you showed me, it provides the fuctionality that my client wants... keeping the submenu open on the section pages. The original moofx slide-down wasn’t really meant to be a menu but it works pretty well as a vertical menu, if you don’t need the menu to be open on the section pages as it defaults to the top-most content open. I modified it to keep all the sections closed until the heading is clicked on, but I can’t figure out how to keep that section open all the time. The original can be seen here: http://moofx.mad4milk.net/.

It will be easier to explain if I show you, if you go to http://d1674679.c37.clmhosting.com/ there are two left menus on that page.

The top one is the formatted version of the one that you showed me. If you click on the "Company" link it takes you to the "About ComLine Marketing" page and opens up the submenu.

The bottom menu it what I had originally, it is the moofx slide-down. When you click on the "Company" link it opens up the submenu but doesn’t leave the current page, The problem with this one is that when you get to the "About ComLine Marketing" page, the submenu is no longer open.

Basically, I think I want the best of both worlds... when I click on a parent link I want the submenu to open but I don’t want to remain on the current page until I select a sublink, then I want the submenu to stay open when I get to the page I selected.
                  • 4,213 Posts
                  You can easily modify the templates of the accordion menu I referred to to make it go to the parent document when user clicks on the menu item. Then make some [ + ] links to the items where users can just expand the items without going to the pages.. is this what you mean? The menu shows the childs expanded when you are on a parent doc..

• 10 Posts
                    The parent item is an empty folder.
                      • 4,213 Posts
                      yes, just have the redirecting snippet on the parent item.. or I guess the parent items could actually be weblinks to the first child document even..

This discussion is closed to further replies. Keep calm and carry on.