We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 75 Posts
    This is an auto-generated support/comment thread for TE Mailer.

Use this forum to post any comments about this addition or any questions you have regarding its use.

Brief Description:
    TE Mailer is used to send personalized bulk email (but not spam!) from within MODx using MODx documents as the content of the email.

Newest version (11/11/2009) attached to this post.
      • 4,205 Posts
      This looks pretty cool. I like that you can use a document as the content.
        [font=Verdana]Shane Sponagle | [wiki] Snippet Call Anatomy | MODx Developer Blog | [nettuts] Working With a Content Management Framework: MODx

Something is happening here, but you don't know what it is.
        Do you, Mr. Jones? - [bob dylan]
        • 788 Posts
        This is really nice guys. How do you handle throttling for large subscriber lists? Do you plan to implement any bounce handling or tracking?
          Jesse R.
          Consider trying something new and extraordinary.
          Illinois Wine

Have you considered donating to MODx lately?
          Donate now. Every contribution helps.
          • 120 Posts
          Great work guys - all it does need is the bounce handling and this is a killer feature that has been missing and needed for a while.
            • 103 Posts
            This sounds like great new extension to ModX. My newsletter has about 4000 subcribers, will this snippet be able to handle this?
              Impossible is nothing - with ModX
              • 1,611 Posts
              This does look promising. I’ll try it out sometime soon. So far I’ve been using Pommo with eForm, but a fully-integrated MODx system would be preferable.

Just scanning the code, it appears to send out just one email a second. Is that correct, and if so did you do that to avoid overloading the mail server? Most of the mailing scripts that I’ve used send out more emails faster than this and allow you to throttle the speed depending upon your server’s capacity.

It also appears as if the mail sending is dependent upon an Ajax div being reloaded periodically, which I imagine would work fine for most mailings, but I usually prefer scripts that aren’t dependent on the client browser to complete the mailing.

Again, I haven’t actually installed or played with this yet (I just opened up a couple files and looked at them briefly), so I may not be understanding how this works at all yet.

I also like it when a script keeps track of which emails have gone out and which haven’t, so that if you need to stop it for some reason (or it stops on its own), you can continue from where you left off. There are a lot of different ways to do this. Is this something you’ve added or plan to add?

Simple bounce handling could just be having a separate email address in the mail header to receive bounced messages. This doesn’t "handle" those (since you’re not actually connected to the email system via MODx), but it stores them all in one place so that you can sort through them manually later and make changes to your subscription list. I actually prefer this method personally, since it allows me to decide what to do based on the specific message (e.g., if a recipient’s mailbox is just full once, I don’t remove them from my list, but if it’s full repeatedly I do).

It’s a shame that I didn’t know about TE Mailer last week; I just installed Pommo and connected it to two MODx sites, and this might’ve been a better option for these clients.
                "Things are not what they appear to be; nor are they otherwise." - Buddha

"Well, gee, Buddha - that wasn't very helpful..." - ZAP

Useful MODx links: documentation | wiki | forum guidelines | bugs & requests | info you should include with your post | commercial support options
                • 174 Posts
                A great module, a convincing concept, just simple and working.
                Though I’ve some points to remark after testing
                - it doesn`t seem to handle utf-8 coding, sad for some countries.
                - it doesn`t seem to handle ditto calls on the newsletter pages - very sad for many purposes
                - Does the column "sent" mean that the mail is actually sent? When is it reset? Or how?
                Thanx for some help
                • Re your second point. I’ve been very curious as to how this uses a document. I haven’t had the time to really look at the code, but I’ve been wondering if it passed the document through the parser and used that. Since the parser ends with an "echo" statement, I’ve wondered how that would work. For a long time now, I’ve wished that the parser simply returned the completed document object, and let the calling code echo or do whatever it wanted to with it. Anyway, if this module simply retrieves the document’s content from the database and uses that without running through the parser, then of course no chunks, snippets or TVs would be processed.
                    Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                    Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                    Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
                    • 788 Posts
                    If you pass the document ’id’ that you want to send as an e-mail, I guess you could create the URL and then fopen it to do with as you want, thus getting the parsed content from the echo statement.
                      Jesse R.
                      Consider trying something new and extraordinary.
                      Illinois Wine

Have you considered donating to MODx lately?
                      Donate now. Every contribution helps.
                      • 174 Posts
                      @jesster444
                      do you mean something like this: <?php $handle = fopen ("http://url", "r"); ?> ?
                      but that returns this (surely my php knowledge doesn’t fit for this):
                      "fopen(http://url) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 503 Service Unavailable" in the nl.
                      could you post a bit more detailed hint?