We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 145 Posts
    yes I unzipp modx-2.0.0-beta-5.zip locally and upload it with filezilla to a shared host.

btw. is it correct that the difference between traditional and advanced is only that core.transport.zip is already unzipped or is there something else?

therefore should there be more writing permissions on core/packages/core ? although core/packages already has writing permission.
    • Quote from: eerne at Dec 21, 2009, 01:19 PM

btw. is it correct that the difference between traditional and advanced is only that core.transport.zip is already unzipped or is there something else?
      That’s the major difference, and that the files are other than core/ are already in place.

Quote from: eerne at Dec 21, 2009, 01:19 PM

therefore should there be more writing permissions on core/packages/core ? although core/packages already has writing permission.
      Yes, all packages should be writable by the PHP process.
        • 145 Posts
        ok the problem was I smiley

i gave all directories permission according to http://svn.modxcms.com/docs/display/revolution/Fresh+Installation AND I misunderstood "4. Create a blank file "/core/config/config.inc.php" and make it writable." so I renamed /core/config/config.inc.tpl to /core/config/config.inc.php (WRONG DONT DO THAT!!!!)

One reason is because I’m so used to rename config.inc.tpl from MODx Evolution.

conclusion:
        (for those who didn’t read the whole thread, this is installing traditional modx revolution on a shared host with no shell access, and my initial problem was the installation process stopped with a blank page)

1. just upload all the files. (don’t change any permission yet)
        2. browse to /setup/
        3. a warning will appear "Fatal error. Make sure your /core/cache directory exists and is writable by the PHP process.", so give /core/cache write access
        4. follow the installation process, it will tell you later which directories have to have write-permission.
        5. that’s it!

thank Jason for helping on IRC and for your patience!

cheers eni

btw. have nice modxpdo everybody!!!