We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • You need to find out what character set/encoding the database you have MODx installed in is using, and make sure the tables inside it have a collation that matches. If these are not utf8, then you cannot use utf8 or it will try converting everything from whatever encoding you have to UTF-8 automatically as part of the mysql client connection.
      • 805 Posts
      That’s the thing. They are set correctly. For the database I get...

show variables like "character_set_database";
      character_set_database utf8

show variables like "collation_database";
      collation_database utf8_unicode_ci

... and for the tables I get, for example (showing only encoding related info for brevity)

SHOW CREATE TABLE `so_site_content`;

CREATE TABLE `so_site_content` ... `type` varchar(20) collate utf8_unicode_ci ... `contentType` varchar(50) collate utf8_unicode_ci ... `pagetitle` varchar(255) collate utf8_unicode_ci ... `longtitle` varchar(255) collate utf8_unicode_ci ... `description` varchar(255) collate utf8_unicode_ci ... `alias` varchar(255) collate utf8_unicode_ci ... `link_attributes` varchar(255) collate utf8_unicode_ci ... `published` ... `introtext` text collate utf8_unicode_ci ... `content` mediumtext collate utf8_unicode_ci ... `menutitle` varchar(255) collate utf8_unicode_ci ... DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 COLLATE=utf8_unicode_ci ...

Paul
        YAMS: Yet Another Multilingual Solution for MODx
        YAMS Forums | Latest: YAMS 1.1.9 | YAMS Documentation
        Please consider donating if you appreciate the time and effort spent developing and supporting YAMS.
        • 805 Posts
        I recently moved all my sites when I upgraded my server. In the process of doing this I had to export and re-import my modx databases. I encountered the same encoding problem, so I realised that this was not an upgrade issue. In fact, the problem was that I had been using phpmyadmin to do the export. I don’t know if I just didn’t choose the right options when doing the export, or if the version of phpmyadmin that I was using just has a buggy export facility, but it was breaking the encodings somehow.

I just used the standard mysqldump command and that fixed all problems. Conclusion: Don’t rely on phpmyadmin to correctly export utf-8 encoded websites.

Cheers,

Paul
          YAMS: Yet Another Multilingual Solution for MODx
          YAMS Forums | Latest: YAMS 1.1.9 | YAMS Documentation
          Please consider donating if you appreciate the time and effort spent developing and supporting YAMS.
          • 206 Posts
          Without exporting/importing the database I experienced that $database_connection_charset = ’utf8’; tries to read 8 bit characters. I suppose it also writes 8 bits.
          For me it’s only working with $database_connection_charset = ’’; -- so if it does, I think it’s a bad habit to change this setting during the upgrade process.
          (My database collations in different installs are either utf8_general_ci and utf8_unicode_ci.)
          • I’ve read this before about phpMyAdmin’s export function.
              Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
              Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
              Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
              • 4,205 Posts
              For me it’s only working with $database_connection_charset = ’’; -- so if it does, I think it’s a bad habit to change this setting during the upgrade process.
              Some snippets require the charset to be set, like AjaxSearch (1.8). I see your point about setting this during update though.

Interesting about the phpmyadmin issue, I wonder if that is what gave me all sorts of issues on a previous project where I did export/import via phpmyadmin. Good to know. shocked
                [font=Verdana]Shane Sponagle | [wiki] Snippet Call Anatomy | MODx Developer Blog | [nettuts] Working With a Content Management Framework: MODx

Something is happening here, but you don't know what it is.
                Do you, Mr. Jones? - [bob dylan]
                • 55 Posts
                I have had the same encoding problem.

Testing a website locally, with UTF-8 set. Then moved the website to 0.9.6.2 and it all went astray.

I had two backups : one made with PHPMyAdmin, and the other by MODx. None of them two worked.

I have removed UTF-8 from $database_connection_charset and it now works.

What I did was a fresh install of MODx instead of an upgrade and the $database_connection_charset parameter was set to UTF-8. In the original config.inc.php, it was set to ’’.
                My two backup files were made with settings : $database_connection_charset=’’

It is thus important to pay attention to this parameter when upgrading or moving from a server to another.
                • Could you repeat your tests with the recently-posted 0963 RC1?

http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,29689.0.html
                    Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                    Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                  • Quote from: kilroy at Oct 16, 2008, 12:15 PM

I have had the same encoding problem.

Testing a website locally, with UTF-8 set. Then moved the website to 0.9.6.2 and it all went astray.

I had two backups : one made with PHPMyAdmin, and the other by MODx. None of them two worked.

I have removed UTF-8 from $database_connection_charset and it now works.

What I did was a fresh install of MODx instead of an upgrade and the $database_connection_charset parameter was set to UTF-8. In the original config.inc.php, it was set to ’’.
                    My two backup files were made with settings : $database_connection_charset=’’
                    UTF-8 is wrong -- it should be utf8. And if it was blank before, you were potentially inserting data with the wrong connection collation, depending on what your server defaults are.
                    • Hmmm ... could this be another manager login page warning flag/check?
                        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me