We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 805 Posts
    I can’t be 100% sure where the problem lies (ie; it could be nothing to do with the modx servers), but when I try to download modx 0.9.6.1 tar.gz version, the archive I get always contains some garbage in it. It seems to be larger than it should be. On the other hand, when I try to download the .zip version, I never get a complete download. It would be useful to have md5sums publicised on the main downloads page so that file integrity could be checked.
      YAMS: Yet Another Multilingual Solution for MODx
      YAMS Forums | Latest: YAMS 1.1.9 | YAMS Documentation
      Please consider donating if you appreciate the time and effort spent developing and supporting YAMS.
    • What client software are you using to download it? And what platform/software are you using to view the archive files? Error messages from the extraction process?
        • 956 Posts
        I can’t report a download problem per se, but I noticed something strange while moving the unzipped folder to another drive, or deleting it. It seems that all files are write-protected. I have to change it via the right-mouse menu and deselect "read only". If I don’t do that, a simply copy action from drive C to an external drive (USB 2) takes up to one hour... (Windows XP, Winrar). When I want to delete the folder, it’s the same. Kinda weird...
          • 805 Posts
          I had the same problem when downloading using Firefox under both Ubuntu 7.10 and Windows XP. When extracting the tar.gz file I received a warning that garbage was being ignored. It didn’t try extracting the .zip file since it was clear that the file size was too small. I just wanted to check if anyone else had experienced the same problems. If not, it’s likely that the problem lies elsewhere, such as with my internet service provider. I’ll check out the file permissions to see if that helps.

Cheers.
            Please consider donating if you appreciate the time and effort spent developing and supporting YAMS.
            • 805 Posts
            Another update with some more detailed information. I just tried downloading modx-0.9.6.1.tar.gz from work (ie; using a different isp). I encounter a similar problem. Using tar (GNU tar) 1.18, I do

tar -zxvf modx-0.9.6.1.tar.gz

and towards the end of the output I get...

modx-0.9.6.1/manager/includes/version.inc.php
            modx-0.9.6.1/manager/includes/quotes_stripper.inc.php

gzip: stdin: decompression OK, trailing garbage ignored
            modx-0.9.6.1/manager/includes/manager.lockout.inc.php
            modx-0.9.6.1/manager/includes/secure_web_documents.inc.php
            modx-0.9.6.1/manager/includes/browsercheck.inc.php
            modx-0.9.6.1/manager/includes/messageCount.inc.php
            modx-0.9.6.1/manager/includes/datefunctions.inc.php
            modx-0.9.6.1/manager/includes/support.inc.php
            modx-0.9.6.1/manager/includes/charsets.php
            modx-0.9.6.1/manager/includes/noises/
            modx-0.9.6.1/manager/includes/noises/index.html
            modx-0.9.6.1/manager/includes/noises/noise4.jpg
            modx-0.9.6.1/manager/includes/noises/noise3.jpg
            modx-0.9.6.1/manager/includes/noises/noise2.jpg
            modx-0.9.6.1/manager/includes/noises/noise1.jpg
            modx-0.9.6.1/manager/includes/SLLists.class.php
            tar: Child returned status 2
            tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

Paul
            • I’ve seen it too, but only with certain archive clients; but cannot explain the behavior myself. I have no desire to learn the details of the differences between compression utilities. I’ve downloaded and extracted both files on both Windows XP and CentOS boxes with absolutely no trouble, and they were created on a CentOS box, directly exported from SVN, so I’m at a loss.

And honestly, I have no desire to waste a day on this as I do every time a new release comes out. You can get the release from SVN directly and compress it yourself if you need to, or we could start charging for the download service so I can afford to worry about it.

FWIW, the archives were created with the commands:
              tar -czvf modx-0.9.6.1.tar.gz modx-0.9.6.1/
              zip -r modx-0.9.6.1.zip modx-0.9.6.1/

Using GNU tar version 1.14 and Zip 2.3 from Info-ZIP.
              If you have any ideas on what the issue might be, I’ll be glad to do something differently.
                • 805 Posts
                Hi OpenGeek.

Thanks for the info about what tar version you are using to create the archive. That’s useful. I checked, and the versions that you and I used should be compatible however, so I don’t know where the problem lies either. Ensuring that I haven’t got a corrupt file somewhere that’s going to cause my site to randomly crash someday in the future is pretty important to me, so I’ll take your advice and get a copy directly via SVN.

Cheers.
                  • 805 Posts
                  I tried svn (under Ubuntu 7.10) and it didn’t work!! When I do:

su
                  svn checkout http://svn.modxcms.com/svn/tattoo/tattoo/releases/0.9.6.1/

I get ...

... (lots of successful lines)
                  A 0.9.6.1/assets/templates/default/images/input-bg.gif
                  A 0.9.6.1/assets/templates/default/images/sitebg_old.jpg
                  A 0.9.6.1/assets/templates/default/images/bottom_sill.gif
                  A 0.9.6.1/assets/templates/default/images/sitebg.jpg
                  A 0.9.6.1/assets/templates/default/images/comments_curve.gif
                  svn: REPORT request failed on ’/svn/tattoo/!svn/vcc/default’
                  svn: REPORT of ’/svn/tattoo/!svn/vcc/default’: Could not read response body: Connection reset by peer (http://svn.modxcms.com)

I guess I must be jinxed, or doing something wrong. Sorry to keep pestering, but is anyone able to shed any light on what I am doing wrong?
                  • Not a clue; I just checked it out with no problems. Are you possibly having problems on your ISP network? If not, does http://svn.modxcms.com/svn/tattoo/tattoo/trunk/ behave the same for you?
                      • 805 Posts
                      Here are my conclusions:

The problems with downloading incomplete files and using subversion are related to my ISP at home. I don’t have any problems when I download or use SVN at work.

Testing the complete zip archives for modx 0.9.6 and 0.9.6.1 I downloaded at work using UnZip 5.52 by Info-ZIP (unzip -v -t ....zip) I encounter no problems.

Testing the complete .tar.gz archives for modx 0.9.6 and 0.9.6.1 I downloaded at work using GNU tar 1.19 (tar -vztf ....tar.gz), gives the following error messages:

... file listing ...

-rw-rw-r-- jason/jason 554 2005-08-22 05:22 modx-0.9.6/manager/includes/quotes_stripper.inc.php

gzip: stdin: decompression OK, trailing garbage ignored
                      -rw-rw-r-- jason/jason 1855 2007-02-24 19:24 modx-0.9.6/manager/includes/manager.lockout.inc.php

... file listing ...

tar: Child returned status 2
                      tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

So, if you want to be sure of getting a non-corrupt version of modx, I’d suggest using the .zip compressed files or downloading using subversion. If using the tar.gz archives (or even if not), I’d advise testing them with your extraction utility first.

Thanks for the feedback which helped me get to the bottom of this.

Paul