We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,131 Posts
    Dean made an announcement on the Etomite forums that the first release candidate for v0.6.1 of Etomite is likely to be released on Monday:

http://www.etomite.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2800

Being as MODx is a fork off of Etomite, it might be wise to download and investigate what changes will be made between v0.6 and v0.6.1 of Etomite. Judging by the announcement, there are likely going to be some things that might help out in the way of making the manager more compatible with Safari and the like. Granted, not everything will apply being as MODx has a dramatic change in the core files...but you never know...there just might be some things to learn from the new code. smiley The way I see it, both MODx and Etomite can learn from each other. Certainly I’d welcome any Etomite user or developer to download MODx and check it out.

Once the candidate comes out, I’ll be analyzing what has changed and compare it to the most current MODx code. Chances are there won’t be much...but again...you just never know. Certainly doesn’t hurt to look at any rate! laugh

L8R!
      Jeff Whitfield

"I like my coffee hot and strong, like I like my women, hot and strong... with a spoon in them."
    • LOL

The difference is it’s not really a reciprocal arrangement on their end. For instance, type MODx and you get [filtered]. Ditto for vertexworks.com...

We’ll certainly help when we can with them, as we did recently on a security issue and fix, without a grudge and with a smile. smiley
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 302 Posts
        Quote from: rthrash at Jul 14, 2005, 08:48 PM
        The difference is it’s not really a reciprocal arrangement on their end.

[smirk]

That’s probably not ENTIRELY true... I think there are a fair number of Eto die-hards (myself included) that respect good ideas on the good idea’s merit, regardless of source. While the Eto site policy may be pretty rigid, I think the people are ... well, people.

I think you guys are doing a fine job here by the way.
          Standard Disclaimer
          I could be totally wrong.
        • Because my business site has what to deserve being fiiltered? lol

Thansk for the kind words btw, and you’re only seeing the bare beginnings of how much more robust and user friendly this thing is going to get. wink
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
            • 14 Posts
            That’s not very fair. That is all I will say.
              • 2,204 Posts
              Quote from: garygriffiths at Jul 27, 2005, 10:00 AM

Took a look at the latest Etomite, and it is bad. I think those guys are moving backwards.

ModX is light years ahead now.

I think that this forum is not ment to flame eto or any other system, but to where posible work togetter to make the best product.

so please do not flame.

Greets Dimmy
                follow me on twitter: @dimmy01
                • 1,131 Posts
                Quote from: Dimmy at Jul 28, 2005, 08:03 AM

I think that this forum is not ment to flame eto or any other system, but to where posible work togetter to make the best product.

so please do not flame.

Greets Dimmy

I agree, Dimmy. I was about to post a reply with my own comments about the latest Etomite...but stopped myself seconds before hitting the ’Post’ button. Granted, we’ll all likely to have our opinions...but to have one’s opinion means backing it up with details. The reason I say this is because in doing so you maintain a professional attitude. It’s ok to have opinions and it’s ok to express them...just do so lightly. For example...

I also took a look at the latest Etomite and upon installing and logging into the manager...well...let’s just say that for a second I looked like a dog with it’s head cockeyed. I’m not saying that the new Etomite is bad...I’m just saying that it was different than what I expected. It looks like they did an overhaul of the interface. Most of what was originally tables are now in DIV tags and DHTML code...which is a great idea in and of itself. There looks to be some quirks to work out...but after all, it is a beta! wink I’m just wondering what sort of changes were made to the core code. Will some of these changes benefit MODx? Are some of them security related? Definitely some things to look into.

Jeff Whitfield

"I like my coffee hot and strong, like I like my women, hot and strong... with a spoon in them."
                • I have to say that this is definitely not the place for Eto-bashing. While I openly state that I personally consider their policy of filtering the word "MODx" and any link to my personal business site (where these forums are hosted temporarily) is absolutely childish, you gotta respect the work they’re doing. Aesthetics aside, I’m sure they’re making great strides in their solution and I applaud them for their efforts and progress.

That said, while sharing a similar heritage, we’ve got two completely different software packages now, targeted at completely different users. Ford vs. Chevy. Toyota vs. Nissan... whatever. They’ll both get you places, one may just be better suited to your application.

Just a closing note: the improvements you’ve hopefully by now seen aesthetically and functionally at the support site at modxcms.com should be eclipsed by what we have in store for the Manager/Control Panel. And that’s all I’m going to say about that. (No, I do not have a timeframe.) wink
                  • Sorry Gary... after considerable deliveration, I had to remove the post... it was just too inflamatory, and not in the spirit of what MODx is all about. Let’s try to keep it clean folks!
                    • My mother had a book she kept for proverbial sayings that she found interesting. One of her favorites (after "Tis he who has the fun, and thee the baby") was "If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all."
                        Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                        Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                        Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org