We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 24,544 Posts
    Quote from: smashingred at Oct 04, 2008, 03:25 AM

On another note, what do you all think about Workspaces being Package Manager or Package Management. I know that there will be future ability to assign different sets of packages to specific contexts but we could do something similar to the Topics as they relate to the Lexicon instead of separating by context. Or something like that. grin

Workspaces to me, while a friendly term has a nearly imperceptible relationship with packages etc. I think we can spare a few characters in the lexicon for that.

If "Workspaces" is tied into the core can it be decoupled or translated in the lexicon for users and otherwise refered to in the API. Again it will only matter to the English speaking devs all others will likely see different words to represent the term.

http://svn.modxcms.com/jira/browse/MODX-300 wink
      Did I help you? Buy me a beer
      Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
      My MODX Extras
      Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
    • I would submit that if we only support a single Workspace now that we put the term in the Roadmap (woohoo ... more auto-analogies!) and leave it out for the time being. There’s enough to get your head around as it is.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
      • As a follow-up to my earlier description, here it is with Vehicle substituted and slightly edited for increased clarity. Is it accurate?

The shorthand description of installing things into Revolution:
        The Transport Packaging System installs Packages comprised of one or more wrapper Vehicles, each comprised of an Object and optional Resolvers/Validators that make sure things go as planned.

The more detailed explanation of how it all works:
        In order to make it easy to distribute even complex collections of inter-related content, logic, code and/or data, these pieces are packaged together into Transport Packages. Packages can be installed with a single click inside the modx Manager by using the Transport Packaging System. Packages come in multiple forms that can be installed in different ways:
        • a single .zip file loaded through a dialog box,
        • remote Provisioning over the web from trusted Providers, such as the modx Web Transport Facility, or
        • individual files and code that are manually FTPd to your website and/or copy-pasted-config-edited in the traditional modx way.

All Transport Packages install into a destination Workspace, which is typically your website. Individual pieces inside a Package are "wrapped" in Vehicles, each containing:
        • a primary object, like a piece of code, some data or files,
        • (optional) Resolvers which tell the Transport Packaging System where to place the object and how the pieces relate to each other, and
        • (optional) Validators, that look at what happened to ensure things occured as expected.

Developers can include one or more Vehicle in a Package using developer-oriented build scripts. This complete system makes it possible to automatically bundle complete sites or subsets thereof—including all related language strings, filesystem and database elements packaged as a single file—into an easily-installable Package for re-use, distribution or migration elsewhere.
          Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • Quote from: smashingred at Oct 04, 2008, 03:25 AM

This is an honest question as I don’t have any answer or opinion but is it entirely necessary to have the terms of the elements match classes and functions/methods/objects in the core or could they not be assigned in the lexicon (a term that has grown on me) and be different in the manager and the API? They’ll only be the same in english any how so I wonder if they need to be tethered?
          IMHO the concepts need to match what we call it; can you imagine if we didn’t understand what the marketing group was talking about when they wanted new features? It is absolutely imperative that we do not dumb down the technical concepts of the core product, or the chasms between developer, designer and end-user will continue to increase. It is for component developers to come up with the end-user solutions; presenting bulletproof interfaces and tools for specific requirements that requires little or no technical knowledge of the framework.

Quote from: smashingred at Oct 04, 2008, 03:25 AM

If "Workspaces" is tied into the core can it be decoupled or translated in the lexicon for users and otherwise refered to in the API. Again it will only matter to the English speaking devs all others will likely see different words to represent the term.
          Just ignore Workspaces for now -- a workspace is a specific core version + configurations + core extensions + packages + lexicons + etc. -- it’s simply a way to isolate and quickly switch the entire core engine. This will be invaluable for upgrades, working with development/staging/prod environments, etc. But for now, a "Core Workspace" is simply the core/ directory which you are working with. I really don’t want to argue about the names anymore in this regard. I’ve chosen these names for very specific reasons, and until I am able to fully explain and document this vision, I think it’s counterproductive to do anything but try and understand the concepts. Once we understand and can discuss the concepts in full detail, then we can consider changing how we refer to these.
          • Quote from: rthrash at Oct 04, 2008, 01:40 PM

As a follow-up to my earlier description, here it is with Vehicle substituted and slightly edited for increased clarity. Is it accurate?
            It’s kind of accurate -- your understanding is still cursory, but I think you are really getting closer to comprehending it. Let’s be patient, continue to discuss these concepts and the trouble everyone has understanding them, and give Shaun and I time to better document all of this in the glossary and create a few visual diagrams to help solidify the concepts without reverting to oversimplification. These exercises are invaluable to Revolution’s ultimate success, so thanks everyone for keeping up their passion and doing everything you can to understand the additional complexities that it brings to the table.
            • If Workspaces are purely behind the scenes for now then let’s keep them out of the picture and introduce them at the appropriate time. Now, on to a new thread for Lexicons... tongue

On a related note, I did update the Glossary a tiny bit as well. Make sure I didn’t bork that up with my simpleton mind.
              • Quote from: rthrash at Oct 04, 2008, 08:16 PM

If Workspaces are purely behind the scenes for now then let’s keep them out of the picture and introduce them at the appropriate time.
                I simply don’t agree.  This leads to developers not accounting for the things that having Workspaces will affect down the road, making it harder to implement and further reducing adoption.  It truly makes no sense to keep anything "behind the scenes" in this framework, IMHO.  It makes much more sense to me to attempt to explain and train, and to do so in context of who you are (i.e. developer, designer, content editor, etc.).  This will lead to natural improvements in features, functionality, and understanding between the various stakeholders interested in working with MODx, before the code is even written (which is the major complication with this entire discourse, which should have take place more than a year ago when 0.9.7 was first being developed).

I think we need to reconsider creating separate parts of the MODx site, or at least separate documentation artifacts, targeted at these various stakeholders.
                  • 7,075 Posts
                  <a bit off topic but...>

I have been unusually silent on this thread, but I admit while I toy pretty easily with concepts and words I found myself a bit lost and overwhelmed by all this. Feeling pretty useless.

It stung me and I went back to Revolution, decided to test it on a real case. Go back to concrete stuff and try to switch my own professionnal website to Revolution starting today. We’ll see what comes out of it !  I am just starting migrating content, then I will go into features. Until I have actually experienced Revolution (I mean a real use case) it will be hard (at least for me) to provide any useful feedback. Not that this discussion hasn’t helped me understand the concepts better and clarify the relationship between them and how it all ties together : I just don’t feel like I can add to the mix yet.

Anyway, while I think bouncing ideas is great to make things move forward there are times when we have trouble understanding each other because we filter things with very different viewpoints. This also means we will interpret words very differently and (now back to the topic at hand) Jason has a very good point, we need to have 3 separate documentation : targeted at end users, targeted at webdesigners and targeted at developpers. Of course starting with developper, then designer, then end user documentation will be the most logical steps... Which bring me back to a key element of marketing Revolution : focusing the effort short term on bringing more developpers on board. Now that’s an entirely separate discussion... sorry for going off track again

</end of off topic rambling>
                    .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l&#39;outil id
                  • Quote from: OpenGeek at Oct 04, 2008, 06:15 PM

It is absolutely imperative that we do not dumb down the technical concepts of the core product, or the chasms between developer, designer and end-user will continue to increase.

I agree 100% and think that further to that we need to find ways to narrow the gap (as much as possible).

Quote from: OpenGeek at Oct 04, 2008, 06:15 PM

It is for component developers to come up with the end-user solutions; presenting bulletproof interfaces and tools for specific requirements that requires little or no technical knowledge of the framework.

I don’t quite understand this point. Are individual deployers responsible for UX and UI of the Manager?

I also agree with multi-faceted documentation. The more I read the more confused I am so I too will hopefully be able to understand more when documentation is expanded.
                      Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
                      • 24,544 Posts
                      @Ryan

Anal language weenies (no one we know, I’m sure wink ) will think your description above is more accurate if you change:

each comprised of an Object and optional Resolvers/Validators that make sure things go as planned.

To:

each comprising an Object and optional Resolvers/Validators that make sure things go as planned.
                      or
                      each consisting of an Object and optional Resolvers/Validators that make sure things go as planned.
                      (I’d recommend the latter.)

It should be noted, however, that your usage has been used in print by respected writers for over 200 years. laugh

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                        My MODX Extras
                        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting