We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 7,075 Posts
    I agree that this long discussion has nothing to do in the "In development" forums and the original subject. Since I can now, I splitted and moved the topic in MODx Next, and renamed the thread along the way.
      .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
      • 7,075 Posts
      Quote from: Xsss4hell at Apr 27, 2008, 09:39 PM
      However my problem is not the templating engine, please don’t flame bait with smarty pro/contra when you talk about hypthetical things like it’s integration in the future.

I didn’t catch that upon first read, but so that everyone is clear with this it’s not hypothetical at all, check out 0.9.7 SVN and see for yourself : Smarty is here.

Quote from: Xsss4hell
      Can the devs please provide information about the next modx version like release year and new features, or structural changes. You can post a link here, that would be very nice.

See my last post, this forum and the xPDO forums are the best places to keep the pulse of 0.9.7 development (along with checking 0.9.7 changeset @SVN).

MODx est l'outil id
        • 141 Posts
        As ever, you’ve all good arguments and put sweat and good ideas into your posts, that’s why I’m still here on these forums.
        (offtopic: We’ve got a big mall called forum here, lol)

Quote from: OpenGeek at Apr 28, 2008, 04:14 AM

Second, can you please refrain from using increased text size in your posts for no apparent reason.  It makes me not want to read your posts at all (i.e. I guess you have stricken a nerve after all).
        Sorry, if you don’t like bigger text. I’ve got a high resolution so, it looks small to me tongue hope you like it this time wink

I have customers who don’t know howto maintain websites, or can’t use the backend without breaking things sooner or later. Those customers need something thats is prepared and ready to use for them. But most important, it needs to be as simple as an iPhone (as rthrash stated) or Nokia UI.
        I mean a back- and frontend that gives the maintainer of the website an impression of what we call "intuitive user interface". -> For all people, including disabled people.

Sure it shouldn’t be easy as 1,2,3 to launch a nuclear weapon, but it’s a cms/f.  laugh

Logic and Presentation
        Core and Functionality
        That’s what needs to get a bit more seperated in the future.
        And I think it will be done in an elegant way by the modx team if we support them with our ideas and feedback.

If we want MODx to become more flexible we need to abstract it to (use-case)diagrams, I don’t know another way doing this procedure systemactically. I’ve got the impression that MODx becomes more and more a n-tiered web-application and I like that trend. Does somebody know a tool that generates a use-case diagramm from php-code?

Java EE is a structured OO language and you can see that programmers try to keep that structures while maintaining ie. a web-project, which costs them extra time, but saves them headaches in the future.
        This is something I admire and want to have in php.
        PHP has Indeed not so much structure as Java, but we can try to abstract the problem.

What I want to say is that MODx needs some technical finnish. I’m not qualified enough to make such statements, but that’s my opinion I want to share with you.

Happy to hear that Smary is included into MODx 0.9.7 alpha.

regards
        .X4
          • 4,149 Posts
          Xsss4hell:

Have you looked at 0.9.7-alpha yet?
            shaun mccormick | bigcommerce mgr of software engineering, former modx co-architect | github | splittingred.com
            • 141 Posts
            yes I did checkout, export and install the website on my personal webserver. I’m keeping it updated, you’re pretty active man! *thumbs up*
            I’ll report back when I have a bit more time. (currently having examinations in physics)
              • 7,075 Posts
              Wait a minute... if you checked out it means you’re talking SVN version, we’re now in public alpha stage, just to be sure since the public alpha is more stable (and packages work)...

MODx est l'outil id
              • The SVN version should actually be more stable than the public alpha since a lot of updates/bugfixes have been applied since release. smiley
                  Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                  Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                • Ryan,

Should you be tagging the alpha builds? .1, .2 or with build #s and posting them OR we should be pushing them to uses SVN since the alpha is a moving target?

Cheers,

Jay
                    Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
                    • 4,149 Posts
                    Quote from: smashingred at May 07, 2008, 01:18 PM

Ryan,
                    Should you be tagging the alpha builds? .1, .2 or with build #s and posting them OR we should be pushing them to uses SVN since the alpha is a moving target?
                    Cheers,
                    Jay

They are - this alpha is alpha-1. The next will be alpha-2, and so forth.
                      shaun mccormick | bigcommerce mgr of software engineering, former modx co-architect | github | splittingred.com
                    • In between releases, improvements get made to the features/bugfixing branch, then merged into trunk once tested or it’s time to work on additional feature branches, then tagged as a release from trunk... right Shaun/Jason?
                        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me