We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • I’m really torn. I find FCK 2.0 pretty disappointing. It seems to insert random break tags inside of paragraphs. It won’t let you delete without adding something first.

They’re all bloated, bloated, bloated.

No experience with Xinha yet, so I don’t know there. I do like Tiny MCE though, but no experience with the latest releases.

I think they’re all trying to do too many things in all reality. If you need Dreamweaver, use that... widg is cool, but too feature limited. Tied into the iManager, though, and it might just get interesting... wink

Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
      Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
      • 577 Posts
      IF FCK is good then recommend to the developer to change it’s name. We do have a list of reasons, he/she might be offended but it never hurts to ask.

I still would recommend trying to tie up with one of these editor developers.
        Tangent-Warrior smiley
        • 302 Posts
        OK - I’ll have to chime in on this too. laugh

The root of my irritation of ANY of the editors is that they do try to do too much. This is especially true in the context of Etomite/MODx where so much of the page is [potentially] coded already as a result of the template, snippets, etc. etc. As a result, all I want available to my content editors are the very basic tools: bold, italic, headings, lists, images, links. To that end, it looks like widgEditor does exactly that. On top of that it even appears to handle paragraph tagging vs. line break tagging correctly! (And creates nice readable line breaks in code view mode...!)

I suspect that many layouts/templates are similar to mine in that they have separate CSS. This CSS usually doesn’t work inside the WYSIWYG anyway because the WYSIWYG lacks the proper <div> tags and so forth to properly identify the elements (those are in the template). So having styles available does me no good. But that’s okay. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again- I don’t want my content editors worrying about design choices.

So my preference would be to go with a super simple editor as the default editor. This will keep the default code trim, and functionality streamlined. If more elaborate editors are desired, the plugin route seems to be the perfect way to go.

Right now, widgEditor looks like a very strong candidate. It’s biggest drawback that I can see is the lack of a good image manager.
          Standard Disclaimer
          I could be totally wrong.
        • Amen!
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
          • After a couple of rether severe manglings of perfectly good pages by a client, I went in and modified the menu bar of FCKEditor to only allow the basics. We’ve had no trouble since.

A smaller, leaner editor would be nice, though.
              Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
              Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
              Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
              • 1,131 Posts
              Regarding widgEditor, I’ll be playing with it and making a plugin out of it. In the interim, I’ll also be working on integrating the resource browser with it. Hopefully it’ll work out nicely. smiley
                Jeff Whitfield

"I like my coffee hot and strong, like I like my women, hot and strong... with a spoon in them."
                • 1,732 Posts
                Hello Everyone,

FCKeditor (current) - 10% (2)

Default RichText Editor - 35% (7)

Buit-in RichText Editor - 20% (4)

FredCK Editor - 35% (7)

There a tie between "Default RichText Editor" and "FredCK Editor." I’m thinking we should just roll with "FredCK Editor" rather than "Default RichText Editor" What do you think?

xWisdom
                  www.xwisdomhtml.com
                  The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom:
                  MODx Co-Founder - Create and do more with less.
                  • 3,250 Posts
                  I agree for one major reason,

If somone somehow comes across FCK in either a dialog or in the MODx folder structure they will know what it isn’t the other thing because they have seen FredCK Editor in the plugins.
                    • 1,131 Posts
                    Here’s the way I see it. Personally, I don’t really see what the big deal is in the name of the FCKEditor. Granted, it’s funny when you hear about it for the first time...little snicker there. But if any developer is greatly concerned that they may insult someone with the name of a RTE editor, they can always install TinyMCE or the like and delete the FCK directory and plugin, thus making a different editor the default. But that’s just me...

I’m not against the idea of changing the name to FredCKeditor. Doesn’t bother me either way. However, that still won’t change the fact that the name will still appear in the dialog boxes...and there’s no guarantee that any user will have looked at the configuration settings first before using the editor. Might be good to consult with Fred himself and see if he can change the name too. Doesn’t hurt to ask. smiley
                      Jeff Whitfield

"I like my coffee hot and strong, like I like my women, hot and strong... with a spoon in them."
                    • I like "Freditor" lol