We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 10 Posts
    I just installed Etomite 0.6.1 RC2 and it falls short compared to MODx Tech Preview 3.1.

From now on, I’ll take my chances with the forked version. So, bye bye Etomite!!!!!

I wonder.... how many of us will be hooked on MODx at the time MetaCube comes out...
    • Thanks for the kind words meelker. Etomite certainly has its place in the world and is a great solution no doubt, but we’re kinda partial to our baby as well. It really is the result of not being able to find any solution out there that blends the right combination of features and user friendliness. wink

We’re about to release TP 3.2 which not only solves some obscure bugs, but it also introduces what we’re calling Quick Edit. Quick Edit will show any appropriately-permissioned manager users little edit links while browsing the front end of webistes. Simply click on them to edit the page content while surfing the front end without having to login the manager at all. It’s one of those things you must experience to appreciate, but it is INCREDIBLE. laugh 3.2 will also introduce a few other minor updates as we look towards the next major tech preview release:

• FCKEditor updates
      • support for IIS friendly urls
      • ability to override or extend the internal parser via onParseDocument and OnLoadWebDocument plugin events

What this means in a nutshell is that you’ve bareley seen the surface of what MODx/Tattoo will ultimately be. TP4 will again overhaul a lot of things while maintaining backward compatibility. It’ll be pretty much close to a rewrite of most of the parser and 100% of the  Manager. It should also gain an internal installer application to make upgrades and adding in modules even simpler than it is now, while also enabling much more robust applications to be developed. In short, it will be even easier and less intimidating for new users, and at the same time, more robust and capable for serious developers.

Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 1,732 Posts
        Quote from: rthrash at Aug 22, 2005, 03:39 PM

• ability to override or extend the internal parser via OnParseDocument and OnLoadWebDocument plugin events

Be sure to keep an eye open in the Tips and Trick forum as we will be showing you how you can do some really cool stuff with these new events.
          xWisdom
          www.xwisdomhtml.com
          The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom:
          MODx Co-Founder - Create and do more with less.
          • 37 Posts
          Sounds VERY good. Any guess of an ETA? Are we talking about days, weeks or months?
          • We hope to have an internal preliminary functionally complete build of TP4 internally within two weeks. Can’t make any promises though.

TP3.2 should be out within hours. smiley
              Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
              Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
              • 680 Posts
              Quote from: rthrash at Aug 22, 2005, 05:28 PM

Perfect timing! I have a site I have to throw together tonight.
                • 1,732 Posts
                Quote from: aNoble at Aug 22, 2005, 05:30 PM

Perfect timing! I have a site I have to throw together tonight.

"One night - one site" - lol

xWisdom
                  www.xwisdomhtml.com
                  The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom:
                  MODx Co-Founder - Create and do more with less.
                  • 3,250 Posts

Can’t wait.
                    • 10 Posts
                    Such a roadmap is great!

One suggestion though... will TP4 ease the jargon that came with the Etomite legacy?
                    Perhaps you could ditch ’snippet’ and ’chunk’ for more generic terms like ’module’ and/or ’plugin’.
                    See also the meticulous blog of Jeff Veen on making a better open source CMS at http://www.veen.com/jeff/archives/000622.html.

Furthermore: Etomite folks are not to be offended... I’m just being enthusiastic about MODx/Tattoo after all those nightly hours finetuning CMS systems like Mambo, Xoops and Drupal. I thought Etomite was great, but this fork is even better. If any open source CMS can evolve tot a higher order - for me that means improving productivity by simplicity - it is MODx/Tattoo. Expectations are high, but realistic considering the roadmap.

Keep up the good work gents!
                      • 680 Posts
                      Quote from: meelker at Aug 22, 2005, 07:27 PM

One suggestion though... will TP4 ease the jargon that came with the Etomite legacy?
                      Perhaps you could ditch ’snippet’ and ’chunk’ for more generic terms like ’module’ and/or ’plugin’.
                      See also the meticulous blog of Jeff Veen on making a better open source CMS at http://www.veen.com/jeff/archives/000622.html.

We’ll think about it [inside joke] smiley

I think you’ll be very pleased with the TP4 release, as will Jeff Veen wink