We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 4,205 Posts
    This is a cool move. I am guessing that this is because 096 will most likely live on in parallel (at least for some time), and it would get confusing to have the 2 branches with such similar identifications. This way they are clearly identified as independent applications.

In any case sounds like a good idea.

My only concern would be that it might be better to go the other way around and keep the 096 branch as MODx Classic and let 097 live on as the MODx (the coke syndrome) grin
      [font=Verdana]Shane Sponagle | [wiki] Snippet Call Anatomy | MODx Developer Blog | [nettuts] Working With a Content Management Framework: MODx

Something is happening here, but you don't know what it is.
      Do you, Mr. Jones? - [bob dylan]
      • 898 Posts
      I like the reference to using codenames like Tiger, Leopard.

Great move marketers!
        Chuck the Trukk
        ProWebscape.com :: Nashville-WebDesign.com
        - - - - - - - -
        What are TV's? Here's some info below.
        http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,21081.msg159009.html#msg1590091
        http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,14957.msg97008.html#msg97008
      • The names are pretty much set at this point and we appreciate all the feedback, positive or negative. Lots of really cool things coming on all fronts we hope you’ll like. laugh
          Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
          Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
          • 4,205 Posts
          Quote from: rthrash at Jul 15, 2008, 07:29 PM

Lots of really cool things coming on all fronts we hope you’ll like. laugh
          Yipeeee! Every time you guys pull something out of the bag-o-tricks I get tingly  grin grin

BTW - great job with updating the forum...the Revolution grand opening was very impressive.
            [font=Verdana]Shane Sponagle | [wiki] Snippet Call Anatomy | MODx Developer Blog | [nettuts] Working With a Content Management Framework: MODx

Something is happening here, but you don't know what it is.
            Do you, Mr. Jones? - [bob dylan]
            • 1,039 Posts
            Congrats! This is a very good decision! Although "2.0." (why not 1.0.0. btw?) seems a bit buzzwording, but who cares.

Go on and spread the word of revolution!
              • 332 Posts
              Quote from: OpenGeek at Jul 15, 2008, 05:57 PM

Think of Revolution to be a code name, like OS X Tiger or OS X Leopard; we’re simply trying to make it easier for development to continue on both paths without confusing a whole lot of people with version numbers that are simply way too close together on these very different branches.

So the next one will be ’Renaissance’, and the next next Culture Revolution and son on grin

I like the idea but not sure if I like the name.

Can’t wait for the Alpha to come out.
                • 898 Posts
                Quote from: MadeMyDay at Jul 15, 2008, 09:47 PM

Congrats! This is a very good decision! Although "2.0." (why not 1.0.0. btw?) seems a bit buzzwording, but who cares.

Go on and spread the word of revolution!

We are 100% buzzword compliant!
                  Chuck the Trukk
                  ProWebscape.com :: Nashville-WebDesign.com
                  - - - - - - - -
                  What are TV's? Here's some info below.
                  http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,21081.msg159009.html#msg1590091
                  http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,14957.msg97008.html#msg97008
                  • 1,390 Posts
                  Quote from: OpenGeek at Jul 15, 2008, 05:57 PM

It’s not so much a re-branding as it is a branding clarification. It’s primarily serving three specfic purposes:

a) making room for 0.9.6 to continue having releases without running into 0.9.7; some people will still want the legacy code base until Revolution is stable for a while
                  b) providing clear differentiation between the legacy code and the completely rewritten Revolution code; a minor version change does not accurately reflect the significant changes
                  c) breaking the 1.0 barrier; most projects start at 1.0 and people are hesitant to use a product with numbers below 1.0; we feel MODx (even the legacy branch) is way too mature for a pre-1.0 version scheme and some additional announcements will be coming this month in that regard

Think of Revolution to be a code name, like OS X Tiger or OS X Leopard; we’re simply trying to make it easier for development to continue on both paths without confusing a whole lot of people with version numbers that are simply way too close together on these very different branches.

Makes a lot of sense. I am loving this and I can’t wait for the release!
                  • When the official announcement for the immediate future of MODx is released, the name Revolution and the numbering will be made abundantly clear.

Honestly, we knew (okay, I knew--I wasn’t sure either) that some people wouldn’t like the name but we know you still love MODx, and, after the upcoming announcement (its not just the name and numbers) you’ll like it even more. I don’t think it is in the cards to follow Revolution with a similar name as there are already plans for the next generation MODx (don’t hold me to that, its just what I’ve been told.
                      Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
                      • 24,544 Posts
                      It seems a little late in the game to be making this change but I’m all for it, assuming that we beat the heck out of the alpha release to make it really bulletproof before it hits the general public.

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                        My MODX Extras
                        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting