We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 956 Posts
    I like it a lot. Congrats!

I noticed you mentioned Plone on your website as your preferred CMS. May I ask why you have chosen MODx for NPG?
    • Very cool site. I was trying to view some larger images but they seem to be missing the images: http://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/person.php?linkID=mp01715

So cool to see a site like this in MODx!
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 833 Posts
        Great work indeed!

MODx is truly a powerful CMS and can I just say that I really liked the design, that’s some great stuff you got there.

Thanks for sharing
          A MODx Fanatic
          • 928 Posts
          Is it just me, or are there some problems with images in the left column of the main content area? huh
          On the Collections page, for example, I’m just seeing a large white area between the navigation and the e-letter signup link, in FF3, IE7 and Opera. A right-click and Properties tells me this is a 1x1 pixel image at http://www.npg.org.uk/assets/images/banners/banner_collections.jpg, scaled up to 590x590.
          KP
          • Quote from: stevs at Jan 16, 2009, 03:20 PM

The project was in development for some time and so is built on modx 9.6.1, which despite being a risky choice at the time as a pre version 1 release has proven itself to be a fantastic development environment. The clients like it too.

Just to clear up a common misconception, the versioning number of 0.9.6.x is purely a marketing decision. The software is stable and secure as long as you keep it up to date (currently on 0.9.6.3 ... I suggest an upgrade!).

Most consider MODx "1.0-worthy" as of 0.9.5 released several years ago, and I agree.

The next release which we’re relabeling Evolution will be 1.0, and the rewrite is being released as Revolution 2.0. Two separate code branches and both will be supported and maintained for a long time. smiley

Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
              Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
              • 386 Posts
              Hi Steve,

great to see fellow brightonians using modx! I’d like to think my modx evangelism on the BNM list paid off smiley

I love the site, really impressive in every way.

Might I ask what you used for the shopping cart and checkout?

Cheers,

Mark
                Snippets: GoogleMap | FileDetails | Related Plugin: SSL
                • 928 Posts
                Re "missing images" - gotcha! It was Kaspersky Internet Security’s banner-blocker. Now I’ve added the site to my whitelist, I am seeing everything, and very nice it is too. cool
                Kaspersky’s standard content filter blacklist includes anything in a directory called "banners" - may be worth changing to avoid other people getting what I got before?
                KP
                  • 24 Posts
                  Thanks for all the kind comments and flagging up some issues which have all now been fixed or passed on to the editors. Although I was unable to replicate any problem with the competition system, it could be possible that you missed the terms and conditions check box to activate the form fields. This was an existing system that was ported into the new site design and is no longer as clear as it could be.

In response to some questions there are around 3200 modx pages and a couple of extra databases. The collections database holds 120,000 works and 45,000 sitters and artists, these are served through 7 main pages included by the modx front end. There is also a shop products database.

The shopping cart system itself is custom code ported from the old site.

We try and tailor our CMS choice to the client when beginning a new project and in this case plone was ruled out reasonably early on due to certain overheads in infrastructure and development time, although it is still a good choice for some situations, particularly very high traffic sites. In the end MODx won out mainly because the clients loved the manager, particularly when we demoed it next to a standard drupal install.

cheers
                  steve
                    • 24,544 Posts
                    Quote from: stevs at Jan 21, 2009, 05:49 PM

. . . In the end MODx won out mainly because the clients loved the manager, particularly when we demoed it next to a standard drupal install.

LOL! smiley
                      Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                      Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                      My MODX Extras
                      Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                    • This is totally great! Its really good knowing that MODx is slowly being accepted as good enough for mainstream use - especially great that its here in the UK - do you know of any other official UK sites built with MODx?

One bug I did catch is that the http://www.npg.org.uk/about.php is « MODx Parse Error » sad
                        MODX Ambassador for Thailand. Managing Director at Monogon, a web design and development studio based in Bangkok, Thailand. - Follow me on Twitter.