We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 74 Posts
    I am at my limited wits’ end trying to figure out why using TinyMCE on my two ModxRevolution sites results in unusable performance slowdowns when editing content in the manager.

I have posted to other forums with no success.

The problem:

I have two fairly standard installations of ModX Revolution with not a lot of customization. One site is running 2.0.8, the other is running 2.0.7

Both have the same (latest) version of TinyMCE installed.

When you use the rich text editor for page content, you can watch the performance degrade with every keystroke as the manager keeps sending messages to the server.

I will give you admin access to the server and pay you via paypal, email money transfer (in Canada) or other.

I’ll start at $100.

• Could you tell us more about the server? Who is the site hosted with, do you have gzip enabled, etc?
        Patrick | Server Wrangler
        About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
        • 249 Posts
        Well I would like to say I noticed the same symptoms on one of my Revo sites, but paid no attention to it since it didn’t affect my other sites. I’m going to take a look again.
          lo9on.com

MODx Evolution/Revolution | Remote Desktop Training | Development
          • 74 Posts
          To answer @AMDbuilder:

Site is on cloud platform with Site5 Hosting.

Modx: 2.0.8-pl (traditional)
          PHP: 5.2.16
          exJS: 3.3.0
          smarty: 3.0.4
          Zend: 2.2.0
          MySQL: 5.0.91

Zip: enabled

• That’s very interesting, I have zero problems with my site which is on one of their shared servers. Also gzip and zip are different. gzip compresses things before sending them, thus faster website.

Could you try switching to php 5.3 briefly (htaccess code is in site5 blog), also could you try using a browser such as Chrome? See if that helps any.

Patrick | Server Wrangler
              About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
            • Mark Hamstra Reply #6, 13 years ago
              It’s not sending a message per keystroke for me. MODX 2.0.8 / TinyMCE 4.1.1. I also have the Spellchecker plugin enabled (instructions for that are in the docs) but that doesn’t send out a request all the time, either.

What version of TinyMCE are you running on? I can see what happens if I install that version. Could be a bug in Tiny.
                Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
                • 74 Posts
                Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I have experimented by changing to PHP ver 5.3.5 to no avail (no change in behavior)

I’m running TinyMCE 4.1.2

PHP Info does not seem to have gzip, just zip.

I’ve thrown two avi files to try to illustrate what I’m talking about.

Firefox 3.6.11 Windows experience here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3443766/ModxTinyIssue/firefox_tiny_issue.avi
                IE 8 experience here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3443766/ModxTinyIssue/ie_tiny_issue.avi

If the links break, it’s probably just dropbox taking a lifetime to sync.

I will grant temp access to anybody who wants a go. However, be warned that these are live sites.
                  • 284 Posts
                  I’ve sent you a PM, would like to see what I can do.
                    MODX Free Template Base: MODX-Boilerplate | my blog (lots of MODX stuff) | my gitHub (translations) | MODX User Groups Germany (Facebook)
                    • 249 Posts
                    Watching your video, I see you have firebug installed. What does the firebug console say as you type? How about Live HTTP Headers? If you have that installed, what do you see if indeed something is getting sent to the server on each keystroke?

My gut tells me it has something to do with ExtJS. Like I mentioned, I’ve experienced this before, and my firebug showed errors similar to content typed in text fields other than tiny.
                      lo9on.com

MODx Evolution/Revolution | Remote Desktop Training | Development
                      • 284 Posts
                      Okay, I’ve found sth out: https://github.com/splittingred/TinyMCE/issues/44
                      Tested on other setups, too, not only the one of lowelife. This issue has nothing to do with server but with clientside JS.
                      @cyclissimo: No live headers are sent. It’s about JS performance. WebKit and FF4beta do it right all other browsers don’t. As written in bug report.
                        MODX Free Template Base: MODX-Boilerplate | my blog (lots of MODX stuff) | my gitHub (translations) | MODX User Groups Germany (Facebook)